[[NPD]]-Boss OD-3 first impressions, meh

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by op1e, Jun 9, 2009.

1. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

Went to get my bass player's new amp today, and since he owed me 40 bux I thought I'd get a pedal. I had my eye online on an SD-1, on sale for $39, but when I got there I saw a used OD-3 in the case for $44 and went with it. Well, I read good things online, and the fact that it costs the same as a TS9 new, and $60 more than the SD-1, I figured I was getting more for my money.
    In reality, I'm waiting to be impressed. The volume boost seems minute even with the level all the way up, and it doesnt seem to really add any bite after messing with the tone. Tried to see if it would make my cleans pop for the hell of it, and with drive all the way down and level backed off a bit there's still too much gain to make it usable on a clean channel. I'll give it another day to play with, but I think I'm taking it back for the SD-1.

2. Ostia Man

Ostia Man Contributor

yeah, the od-3 is not good clean/vol boost. its really good for getting that crunchy medium gain overdrive, specially with single coils.
    probably not what your after. but a really cool pedal.

3. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil \m not jesus land m/

Sorry to hear about that man, It sucks when you buy something and It really just sucks some major-kings-balls.

'Hope the SD-1 kicks its ass!

4. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

IMO, the SD-1 is not that much better. Get the TS-9

The SD-1 is a better booster but sounds kinda thin and grainy to me.

5. sami

sami porkshop sammiches

I didn't like the OD3 at all. I tested one a few months ago with my old 5150 head. It made the tone completely "jangly" and made me feel like I wasn't playing metal. It might work for other amps, but not 5150's.

I've not tried an OD1 or SD1, so I hope you have better luck with it! If anything, you can always get it modded.

6. maat

maat 'stortion junkie

Did wonders for low-end boost in my floor rig. Mine is right before my MXR Microamp.

7. op1e

Maybe I'm going in the wrong direction. The Ultra channel is already pretty meaty and clear. Maybe I should use it on the Crunch channel since it doesnt have enough gain, then kick the Ultra channel on for leads. I use an AB to go to the Pod for cleans for now, so no tap dance. I havent fully decided to phase out my digital stuff yet. I've looked at the mods, I think I might be able to pull it off myself.

8. Ostia Man

Ostia Man Contributor

most people dont use it as a boost, its more of a stand alone drive on a clean amp. but again if you want metal that is not the pedal you're looking for.
    but i think you should experiment. maybe you could find some cool tones.
    maybe tube screamer.

9. op1e

Ya, cant afford TS9 right now. None used local, got a show saturday. I just wanted a boost/tightness for leads. Cant wait to get up to the practice spot and try it on the crunch channel, maybe find a new sound. Doing it that way I still get a volume jump going from Crunch to Ultra, + more saturation on both channels. Wish each channel had a separate master volume. Only way to balance is with Pre/Post gain.

10. sami

sami porkshop sammiches

Hmm, if you're looking for a cheap OD boost, try a Digitech Bad Monkey. Honestly, I'd recommend a modded TS pedal and others here will recommend a Choas mod!

11. op1e

Hmm, bad monkey same price. Looking up review...

Actually tried it last nite on the crunch channel with good results. Nice smooth gain, most of it coming from the head. OD-3 level at 3/4, drive at 1/4, tone just below 1/2. Now my Ultra is my boost channel. Kick the Boss off and roll the volume back to 6 and the cleans are just dirty enough, but clean enough. Think I might keep it. The rest is just fighting the EQ with these Sheffields.

12. sami

sami porkshop sammiches

Cool man, glad to hear you got it working for you! I tried and tried it with my old 5150 and just couldn't get it sounding right at all. It was too "jangly" for me.

What is it that you don't like about the Sheffield 1290's? If anything, I've always not liked metal grills. It lets too much "shrill" through. If you covered it with a light blanket type material, does it make it sound better?

13. op1e

Never thought of that. I think I'll make a frame and grill cloth velcro attachment like the Traynor cab has. I see what you say about "jangly". I went to the studio last nite to try the Traynor cab and was impressed. I popped a speaker out to see what they are and they're all G12M-70 Modern Lead. I would just use the cab, but the other guitarist rewired it stereo only so he could run his Line 6 combo into it, and my head doesnt have dual outs. Plus my cab has casters and the other doesnt. So I swapped the top two G70s into the top of my slanted 412ms cab, putting the Sheffields in the Traynor. I was gonna swap all 4, but I stopped to see how it sounded, and liked it a lot. The clearer Celestions are at the top facing up towards me and the bassier, muddier 1290's are at the bottom of the cab. Now it seems like both cabs have a little more range to them.