NPD Behringer HM300 (HM-2 Clone)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by kindsage, Sep 4, 2017.

1. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

As always, pics first :)
    [​IMG]

I'm going to be pretty broke for the next year but, I figured I could swing the cost for this guy.
    I've been wanting to try this pedal every since I saw how similar it sounded to an HM-2 in demo vids.

First impression is wow this thing is highly unusable for any applications that require quick articulation, dynamics, or chord clarity. You just get whatever note/powerchord you're playing with some chainsaw and a cocked wah layered in.

However with that said, its got its own charm that is actually pretty addicting. Playing some doom riffs on my RAT then slapping the HM300 into the mix sounds downright MEAN.

I really hope to the get the Left Hand Wrath next so I have the option to blend in some clean for clarity. I think then, it would better perform as a boost. Right now, even as a boost, its too overpowering to use in my core sound. Only as an accent piece here and there

mnemonic likes this.
  2. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I wonder if the line's been improved in the last 10 years - Starin once sent one of my stores a sample-box of each and, following an awkward demo amongst the staff, we told them they were garbage that we would and could never sell.

Starin told us to keep them. I think we "gave" them away in raffles, and in asking kids to please just take them.

USMarine75 likes this.
  3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I got one of these too recently, it's pretty cool. I love running it into a clean Bassman model on my axe fx, keeping mids (hi contour) at noon, and turning bass to about 3:00. It sounds real chunky and heavy and doomy, very addicting.

4. NeiloMac

NeiloMac SS.org Regular

I got one of these years ago to compare to my MIJ HM-2. Surprisingly close considering the price differential. A decent way of getting that archetypal Swedish death metal tone for not a lot of cash. You can hear the difference playing them back to back, and of course the plastic chassis isn't going to take anywhere near the same abuse as the Boss, but if you just want something to play Bloodbath riffs in the house, it's probably worth a punt.

5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

It probably hasn't, but I guess maybe it's worthwhile for a time until @kindsage can get the left hand wrath.

6. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I got news for ya, the original is about the same way.

It's an inarticulate mess of a fuzzed out blob of sound.

...and we love it.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

HNPD I think it's funny how many people love the old hm2. I like messing around with the mt2/hm2 effect on my kemper, it's actually pretty good for chugging and sludgier stuff. My MT2 can also get the chainsaw sound by playing with the mid frequency knob on it, though I like just a hint of chainsaw and don't dime anything other than volume.

8. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

I've had a ton of hm2s and the hm300 is totally solid for the cost.
    I'd also highly recommend avoiding lone wolf audio products, the owner joe Anastasio is truly an awful human being. If you want a sick modern hm2 check out dunwich.

9. Spaced Out Ace

What'd Joe do?

10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Nice! I am curious about these also, but not sure if I wanna try one of these cheap, or wait for a BYOC Swede

I ALMOST ordered one last night, but ended up ordering a Joyo California Sound instead. Curious how it is. The HM300 seemed a little more expensive than average, and the California was a little cheaper than average, so I went with it for now.

11. Moltar

Moltar SS.org Regular

I would second staying away from Lone Wolf products. I wished I had listened to the advice of others, but I didn't. The guy is insane and an asshat. I won't get into the specifics, but its so ridiculous that I don't even want his stuff on my pedalboard anymore and am going to be replacing the pedal and maybe selling it for a massive loss, just to try to get rid of it quickly.

Ive got a Wren and cuff Hangman on the way to try out and am having the guy from Dunwich make me a version of his HM2 variant with a blend knob. Just waiting for it to be built.

I have nothing to say on the Behringer version though, haven't ever tried it.

12. Spaced Out Ace

Okay, but what'd he do? I'm not aware of what he did, because I don't really follow him or his brand that closely.

mnemonic likes this.
  13. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Definitely noted.
    I think I'll just grab a BOSS LS-2 or something like it.
    Using a BOSS LS-2 I can blend some clean signal in with basically ANY pedal I want.

Maybe for my next HM-2 style pedal I'll pick up a WURM! It looks pretty dope and has some cool EQ features.
    http://kma-machines.com/m_wurm.html

14. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

He has the biggest ego of anyone I've ever known, he literally thinks he's the only one who should be allowed to make an hm2 clone. I've seen him go after other small builders on instagram if they decide to make an hm2 threatening them with lawsuits and the like, private messaging people who talk bad about his products calling them "faggots" etc, and he's been kicked out of almost every major pedal group on Facebook because he relentlessly shills his stuff absolutely everywhere and is an ass about it, any thread relating to the hm2 he barges in and trys to sell his stuff. If you mention other hm2 clones that aren't the left hand wrath he'll message you to try and accuse you of trying to ruin his business and he'll try and drag other brands names through the mud to make LWA seem like the only option. I've got a bunch of messages from him going back a few YEARS of him trying to convince me to buy the LHW, I posted my new dunwich hm2 on my instagram a few months ago and he commented saying "I'll be here when you decide to lose that kids toy and get the real thing"

Like come on dude.

15. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

He very well might be an asshole, but my LHW Deluxe is pretty damn awesome.

16. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

Joe Anastasio is the scum of the pedal industry, hes a genuinely terrible person and in no way whatsoever does he deserve anyones money.

He's an egotistical, arrogant, pathetic little man.

kevdes93 likes this.
  17. Spaced Out Ace

Well, I guess since he called it a "kids toy," you better do as he says. I mean, he does realize the "real thing" is the Boss HM-2, and not the LHW, right?

kevdes93 likes this.
  18. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

According to Joe, he and he alone is the only one "qualified" to make HM2's.

kevdes93 likes this.
  19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

all these damn threads about hm2 pedals/clones keep tempting me into getting one.

DudeManBrother likes this.
  20. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

Do it! You'll scratch your head, wondering why you bought one; and then scratch your head, wondering why you can't leave it alone haha.

newamerikangospel likes this.