NPD!! Amptweaker Tight Metal Jr.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mguilherme87, Oct 13, 2018.

1. mguilherme87

mguilherme87 SouthShoreSeven

What up? So my band is going to be rehearsing at a space in Plymouth an hour from my house. I needed a good, versatile pedal to cop the tones of my EVH 5150iii head when I'm using somebody else's amp/backline. I decided on this as James Brown designed the original 5150. It sounds pretty sick! The build quality and looks are superb. I play mostly 80's- modern rock and metal but nothing super scooped and brutal. The heaviest we go is Alice and Chains for example. Except for our originals which are a bit more modern sounding and more distorted. So far this thing is killer! Tons of gain and a sweet tone with all of the controls at noon (gain at 1 or 2 o' clock) I have the midrange character switch set to "thrash" and the bass character switch set to "flat". This is the closest I could come to the 5150iii head tone. Does anybody else have experience with this beautiful pedal?

Jacksonluvr636, Gmork and mnemonic like this.
  2. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I love my modded TMjr and i know a few people on here love the TM’s too.

Are you plugging into the effects loop? If so I suggest picking in an Amptweaker DepthFinder to go with the TMjr.

mguilherme87 and ATRguitar91 like this.
  3. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

Happy NPD, the Tight Metal line is killer, I use the Pro version myself.

If you're not going too heavy, it'll have more than enough gain, but I find it really benefits with a boost in front. Tightens things up a bit and it gives it more bite, even if you're not looking for more saturation.

4. mguilherme87

I've got a Wampler Tumnus deluxe in front of it! Haven't needed to boost it yet, but I'm whipping it out tonight at rehearsal so we will see how it goes!

5. mguilherme87

I haven't tried going directly into the effects loop yet! What noticeable difference does it give?

6. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

That’s actually how it’s suppose to be run. And im not sure what difference it gives because that’s the only way I’ve ever tried it :lol:

The TM is a preamp so it’s meant to go straight into a poweramp. Give it a shot and see if you like it.

Signal chain should go:
    guitar > TMjr > effects loop return jack.

This completely bypasses your head’s preamp in favor of the TMjr.

Gmork and mguilherme87 like this.
  7. mguilherme87

That's interesting. Im not sure what I did wrong, but I tried plugging the guitar into my pedalboard and then into the Effects loop return of my Blackstar HT-40 club combo but I didnt get any sound. Do I need a dummy cable in the effects loop send?

8. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Nope, nothing in the send, nothing in the main input, only the effects return.

Double check your connections, your volume on the pedal and your volume on the head

mguilherme87 likes this.
  9. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Awesome congrats.

I actually had a buddy hook me up with the TM Pro. It is currently in the mail and I am excited to try it out. I have been on the micro rig quest recently. I have tried a few things so far and I have a feeling this may be the one.

I am curious to see your results with the FX Loop. I am pretty new to this and have only tried 2 things. The Herbert Preamp and the Emma Pisseduhauhsiuhaiuh.

The Emma I am aware is not a preamp but there was a huge volume drop vs the Herbert. After reading your reply I am starting to wonder if I just hooked it up wrong :p

mguilherme87 likes this.
  10. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

How’s the Herbert? I found the VH4 to be lacking gain.

11. USMarine75

USMarine75 Lover of sasquatch erotica Contributor

Yeah I have that Emma and it is a killer pedal. I actually modelled it with my KPA and it is very dry like The Feared 'Vinter' album.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  12. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Well I sold it lol.

Its very well built and it did sound good but left me wanting more. The gain was just odd. It was there, I had to max it and I liked a boost pedal in front but it was just a different type of gain.

Hard to explain, more growl and less saturation I suppose. The Tight Metal is way gainier IMO than the Herbert. Dont get me wrong, it did sound good. I just wanted something different.

Here is a quick clip I made with it.

[video]

13. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

That sounds exactly like the VH4. This video sounds just alright. It has that amplike growl, but if that’s gain maxed then wow.

14. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Man I’m glad to hear those opinions on the Diezel pedals before i actually bought one.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  15. ATRguitar91

Hate to detail this, but does anyone have a solid comparison on the Tight Metal at 9v vs 18v?

I've only found 1 review on here that mentions it, basically says it affects the amount of bass and gain.

mguilherme87 likes this.
  16. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

18v definitely sounds better to me. You can always get a little voltage doubler. I think disaster area sells them. No need to get an entirely new power supply.

mguilherme87 and ATRguitar91 like this.
  17. ATRguitar91

@kindsage how's it sound better?

And it looks like Dunlop sells a pretty cheap 18v power supply I might get, cheaper than the disaster area voltage doubler.

18. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Sounds more open and aggressive. A lot “livelier” for lack of a better term.

19. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Edit ^^^: “a lot” is a strong term. It’s not a huge difference but it’s definitely noticeable

20. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

You just made me realize I am a dumbass, lol. I built a clone last year, and I always thought it sounded OK.... however, you just made me realize I have always used it as a distortion pedal in front of an amp, lol. Just tried it into the loop of my Recto, and it sounds WAY better. I still think it lacks bass though, so a graphic EQ after it brings some chug to it. I am sure getting the resonance mod is worthwhile on the real deal version.