NP(edal)D x 2 and some questions

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by broj15, May 8, 2014.

1. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Okay so pic first

[​IMG]

and now some questions

Boss DD-20 - I've read that you basically HAVE to get the Boss brand PSA 120s adapter because, according to what I've read on line, off brand or just regular 9v adapters are known to .... with the "time chip" of digital delay pedals. Has anyone here experienced this before? also any foot switch recommendations for the tap tempo function. I know the Boss FS-5U is the common standard but I'm open to alternatives.

MXR 10 graphic EQ - So, those of you who saw my NAD thread (http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ge...-something-different-edition.html#post4022037) you might remember me complaining about the shared EQ so I decided to buy a EQ pedal. Now, ideally, I would turn on the EQ at the same time as I switch from Clean to Drive and would bypass the amps EQ and my sound just be based off of what the MXR EQ was dialed to. Would I be correct in thinking that achieving this would mean putting it in the effects loop? Or would it work better if I put it in front of the amp, before the DD-20?

I know people say that where the MXR is in your signal chain will have a huge bearing on what it does to your sound. For example: putting it at the end of the chain with allow you to EQ your signal AFTER it's been through all your effects, or like how some people will sandwich an OD pedal between EQ pedals so they can regulate the frequencies going into the OD and then dial out some undesirable frequencies accentuated by the OD (like if it adds an unwanted amount of mids or lows, etc.) or as a lead boost with the level and gain sliders raised

2. kschaef

kschaef SS.org Regular

Can't comment on the MXR, but in regards to the DD-20, I don't believe you NEED the Boss brand adapter. I've had mine for several years, and while I was originally using the Boss adapter, that eventually broke and I replaced it with a cheapo Dunlop and saw no difference. I'm now running it through a Voodoo Labs PP2+, and, again, no difference.

3. shanejohnson02

shanejohnson02 Hammer of the Gods

I've run my delays (including my high-current Nova delays) off of a third-party power supply for a while now. No problems. At one point, I ran 2 DD-3's and a Super Chorus daisy chained off of one outlet on the power supply, and it ran like a champ.

4. morethan6

morethan6 SS.org Regular

regarding the MXR - depends, do you want to shape the tone of your guitar before it hits the preamp, or the tone of your preamp before it hits the power amp stage? Bear in mind any tone shaping on the preamp will be shaped by the MXR if it's in the loop...

5. Krucifixtion

Krucifixtion Duncan Hills

The MXR shapes the tone better when in the loop. I run one on all the time in my FX loop just to tighten and enhance the tone slightly.

6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

+1 to this.

And regarding the DD-20, I've never used the Boss brand adapter, but the adapter that's caused the least noise is an off-brand adapter that actually puts out 9.6 volts. Those double sized boss pedals are power hungry, and normal 9V adapters always caused me to have extraneous noise with my DD-20. Also, delays work approximately 4000 times better/cleaner in the FX loop of the amp :2c:

7. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Congrats on the new pedals! I was very set on buying a DD20 last weekend, too, but ended up going with the Vox DelayLab. I had a DD20 in the past that I ran off my OneSpot. Didn't experience any issues, at least not that I noticed. My setup was also really quiet. If you don't have too many pedals and don't mind separate power supplies, could take the safe route with the Boss but I'm sure you'd be fine either way. Have fun with that thing just don't get too lost in it.

8. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the advice everyone. Well as far as the DD20 is concerned I had kind of assumed the rumors were just Boss trying to get people to spend more money, but I wanted to ask a trusted source before I did anything i shouldn't have. Initial impressions are good. There's so many options (some less obvious than others, like the rate/depth control for the modular delay) that it will take me a while before I really get a feel for it. After that happens I'll probably get an analog delay of some sort (mxd carbon copy maybe? I'm open to suggestions) because I can tell the 100 milliseconds for the Dual delay setting is too limiting.

As far as the MXR goes I haven't even gotten a chance to try it out yet because apparently and 18v adapter is harder to come by than you would think. I'll probably have to order one.

9. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

I would consider buying a third party power supply to power all your pedals. Cioks ( Cioks - POWER SUPPLIES FOR EFFECT PEDALS ) makes great power supplies that can run pretty much any pedal. You would want to buy something from the "professional" section such as the DC-10.

10. metaljohn

metaljohn SS's Only Dick Butt

I just use a 1spot to power my RE-20 (the most comparable thing to the DD-20) and I don't get any extra noise as long as I don't daisy chain it with anything else.

So I use one 1spot for the delay and another one with a daisy chain for everything else. Works pretty well.

11. Detested

Detested SS.org Regular

Yes ,when I got my mxr eq,went and bought a radio shak 18v and nothing but hum,turned out I needed a center negative 18v.
    Dunlop ecb004 I found on dbay worked great
    Congrats