Notre Dame LB Manti Te'o and his fake girlfriend

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by 3074326, Jan 16, 2013.

1. 3074326

3074326 Local Astronaut

Anyone hear about this? Fucking crazy story and a lot of stuff doesn't add up. If you don't know the story, I'll summarize it. Manti Te'o was runner-up in Heisman voting and had a pretty inspirational/heartbreaking story. His grandmother and girlfriend died within hours each other. Notre Dame and the media rode this story all year, and it made a great story when Notre Dame ended up in the title game.

But apparently his girlfriend never existed. He is claiming he was the victim of an online hoax. This person never even existed. I thought I remembered hearing that she flew with him to Hawaii a few times, but now he says they only knew each other online and over the phone. When news outlets requested an address to send flowers to for her death, Teo apparently said they didn't want to be bothered by the press. Bizarre story. Here's the link to the article that broke it:

Manti Te'o's Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax

2. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

This is definitely the strangest sports-related story I've heard in awhile. It's hard to tell if it's sicker if Te'o was in on it or not. It seems that a lot of sports journalism is about "inspiring stories of struggle" and it seems that Deadspin's take is that perhaps this whole thing was manufactured for that reason. OTOH, if the poor guy really thought this girl was real and really suffered thinking that she died- that's some low shit to do to somebody.

But anyway, since we now know that nobody really died, there's some funny shit coming out about it: The funniest Manti Te'o Memes on the.Internet - Beer Mug - Beer Mug Sports - The Best Sports Blog in the Entire World!

3. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time Contributor

I wonder if she's related to George Glass?

Also this;

[​IMG]

4. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Aww shucks, I thought they'd never find out
    [​IMG]

5. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

God people make me sick.

6. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

There are parts of this story that are disturbingly similar to those I went through with youknowwho on this website.