Not something you see everyday.. (thin, LP-style, /w great upper fret access content)

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by LLink2411, Jul 30, 2012.

1. LLink2411

LLink2411 Banned

So I tried three very interesting guitars today. A Gibson Grace Potter Signature (great guitar), a Schecter CS Strat (best Strat I have got my hands on), and this monster:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Leo Scala (of GKG guitars) Dorian Custom and Deluxe. Basically it is a featherweight Les Paul with a deep cut horn, but less than 1.5" thick on the sides and 2" at the apex of the carved front and carved back (it looks and feels at least two thirds of that though, it is practically flat).

Now the neck is a bit thick (plays fast though) and it sounds more like a beefy SG than a Les Paul, but damn is this thing sweet. And for $900, what's to lose, right?

Here are some more pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?

On a completely random aside though, I played this thing through a Freyette Memphis on 18W mode with the boost engaged and I got the most metal as fuck tone I have ever heard. I mean metal as fuck, of course, in the sense that my hearing hasn't recovered after four hours and it felt like someone punched me in the stomach after one chord.

2. MythicSquirrel

MythicSquirrel #menswear

Do want that white one :eek:

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I really like it and it looks sharp. If the quality is anything like the current GKG imports it'll be well worth the asking price.

Personally though, I dig full-thickness-not-at-all-ergonomic LPs. I tried digging thinner LPs (had two Eclipses, an Epi Ultra, and a few other oddballs), but none stuck. Would love this one to break me of that though, that black one is HOT!

4. LLink2411

LLink2411 Banned

I have tried Eclipses and other thin LPs as well and I did not like a single one either.

With the carved back and front this actually handles and feels just like an SG (which is a guitar I personally have bonded with quite well), but you get the looks of a LP Custom or an LP Standard Plus ;) It actually has the exact same upper-fret access of an SG as well.

5. LLink2411

LLink2411 Banned

You can.

Leo Scala Guitars Dorian Custom Black Guitar [Dorian Black] - $899.99 : GuitarBassPro!, Bass Guitars Amplifiers Pro Audio and accessories
    Leo Scala Guitars Dorian Custom White Guitar [Dorian] - $899.99 : GuitarBassPro!, Bass Guitars Amplifiers Pro Audio and accessories
    Leo Scala Guitars Dorian Deluxe Amber Guitar [Dorian Amber] - $899.99 : GuitarBassPro!, Bass Guitars Amplifiers Pro Audio and accessories

This is the only store I have seen that carries them (also the only store on the internet that carries them it seems), it is also the store I tried them at. They have the deluxe and the black custom in stock currently, and they told me you would have to special order the white custom.

EDIT: Whoops, the post I replied to got deleted, but the info is here for anyone that wants to know.

6. Nile

Nile Giver of the Likes

Wow this went down fast. LLink in that entire argument Murmel wasn't referencing the guitar you posted at all but you kept bringing it up.

Well anyways, I think the ones you posted are cool as fuck.

7. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Argument removed. Let's not go down that path again, K?

8. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

reminds me of the Aria PE Anniversary guitar:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. satriani08

satriani08 SS.org Regular

I love the white one! I've always wanted a white LP :D

10. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

ahhh ahhh ahhh ahhh do want!!!

11. Ironbird

Ironbird Kahler Abuser

Interesting idea, the white one looks pretty darn sweet.