[Not] New Tosin Abasi signature [maybe] in the works - Abasi Guitars[Concepts] w/[out] Frank Falbo

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I must say although I love Tosin, not nuts about the guitar body shape... however I've loved the amount of knowledge you've contributed to this thread, stuff like this is what is so awesome about the internet.

Keep it up, seems like awesome stuff.

glassmoon0fo, JSanta and Kyle Jordan like this.
  2. oniduder

oniduder HONKEY DONKEY

i got dad jokes, sorry

and yes i'm being a bit more than silly puerile or just plain stupid, which i'm actually sorry for, i didn't want to derail the thread

there is something to be said for people who work for musicians (luthiers, amp builders)

b/c i'm a bit crazy to begin with, and i'd imagine most "musicians" are as well, in quotes because i don't want to consider myself one

it'd be like calling myself an artist when in actual fact i suck at art and music

anywho, the guitar looks splendiferous and i want it pretty bad, price actually is relatively reasonable, especially with the little options semi-custom type stuff

if i had to complain or make one comment, it's that i hate guitars that don't have strings beyond the nut that line up with the strings on the fret board (probably a better way to phrase that (oh well))

thanks and ciao

3. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Straight string pull.

4. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

A builder with their priorities in order can make a stable neck out of one piece of maple. Opposing grain is a bullet point for Falbo for the same reason KTS is for Ibanez: To lower the chance of warranty claims in mass-production and preserve reputation should some batch of wood prove uncooperative down the line (eg. “My guitar fell over and sprayed glue all over the room”). How does “fancy reinforcement some company is boasting” not describe both? It’s all good when it works, and bad when it doesn’t.

My Strandberg has laminated roasted maple and carbon-graphite, But requires adjustment more often than the one piece of flamed maple reinforced with rods that my Charvel Govan does. They both require more maintenance than the carbon-exoskeleton Parker necks, which themselves require more than my all-carbon-graphite Steinberger necks.

So long as you’re dealing with wood, you can’t manage what you can’t measure. I’d rather have redundant reinforcement than not.

larry and LordHar like this.
  5. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

my neck requires adjustment if I spend too much time playing video games

6. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

Lol at the basses having guitar pickups in them.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Fun fact: the original EMG 707 pickups were slightly tweaked bass pickups. :D

Pretty sure with the Fluence preamp they just need to tweak the EQ and boom. Bass pickup

Veldar likes this.
  8. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I mean...basses with guitar pickups have been around for decades...basically since electric basses exited. ;)

AxeHappy and Veldar like this.
  9. frank falbo

frank falbo SS.org Regular

Using Tosin's pickups on the bass is partly testimony to the Fluence tech, in that it does extend down to the lowest frequencies. Tosin's pickups aren't just "guitar" pickups, they're able to handle very extreme extended range.

Kyle Jordan, AxeHappy and Veldar like this.
  10. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

The EMG thing is interesting.

I'm definitely skeptical, Tosin's sound even on his lowest string definitely isn't the same as a bass E, I wouldn't even say as deep feeling as a E on a bass VI.

But I guess we'll see once they come out.

11. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

Remember that a lot of that "bass sound" has more to do with a longer scale length and higher string tension, which gives a stronger fundamental tone.

AxeHappy and jephjacques like this.
  12. HeHasTheJazzHands

I will say the scooped nature, extreme lows, and extreme highs of the Abasi in single coil mode remind me of a Music Man pickup. Wonder if the passive mode would be similar to a J bass or something?

13. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

those have been floating around for a while, probably close to 2 yrs now.

AxeHappy and GXPO like this.
  15. GXPO

GXPO SS.org Regular

Well shut my mouth

16. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

But why would it sound like a bass E?

Tosin's guitar isn't a bass. It doesn't have bass strings or a bass scale length. Guitars have snappy attack and lots of harmonic content.

No pickup is going to change that, but that doesn't mean the pickup can't or won't accurately reproduce what an actual bass string does.

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

^Yup. Bass VIs sound so huge because of the 30'' neck and the thick-AF strings. The Bass VI uses either Strat or Jag pickups, so it's not just the pickups that made the tone.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

I have mini humbuckers in my schecter bass vi and they have a ton of spank and chunk, especially in the split modes. it's definitely a combo of the strings/scale/pickups since I can also get more "normal" guitar esque sounds just by switching pickup positions

19. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

This sounds a bit like the tonewood straw man. Tonewood-myth proponents agree that two different pieces, or two different treatments of wood will produce different sounds, but nothing predictable or consistent enough that you can listen to a guitar's wood through all the pick-ups, amps, speakers, etc. and say: I can tell that it's a Alder body, with an Ebony fretboard on a 5-piece 3-ply Maple + 2-ply Mahagony neck.
    Likely, because there's a difference between a detectable difference in an isolated part and a predictable/exploitable difference in the finished product.

It's like the hot-rodders that "blue print" car parts. Sure, there's measurable difference between parts that are in spec, but the parts that are "exact" based on your measurement tool are not truly any better than any other part that's in spec.

I'd chalk-up any consistent difference to the luthier -- what ever is in them to be pedantic about tonewoods, spills over into overall construction and/or self-selection by rejecting pieces of wood that "sound out of spec".

20. Veldar

Veldar Is Post-Thrash?

In the first post I did I made it clear I was talking about the pickups in the bass models