Noise gate

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mikeylewis1291, Sep 2, 2016.

1. mikeylewis1291

mikeylewis1291 SS.org Regular

hi I'm looking for a noise gate, preferably in a rack unit that's not to expensive. was woundering what you all suggested.

I play heavy metal and have a schenter omen extreme with emg pickups tuned to standard e and a epiphone les Paul plus top tuned to standard c

I'm currently using a peavey 6505 mh, with a ibanez ts9 pedal and a rivera rockcrusher into a little tiny orange cab
    (the one they sell with the tiny terror)...long story short I can't get a good sound out of it..I've been messing around with it for a few days now.

I feel like a noise gate is what I need but maybe someone on here has other suggestions as well.

any advice will be apreciated

2. mikeylewis1291

also I'm about to build a 4x12 cab for my rig.....hopefully soon

3. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

A cheap rackmount gate isn't really easy to find. You're probably better off either spending more on the rackmount ISP Decimator, or getting a decent pedal one like the TC Sentry, MXR Smart Gate, ISP Decimator, etc.

4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

What you want is the DBX 266xl :yesway: Lamb of God has used them forever, and Whitechapel had one in their rack for bass the last few times I saw them. I had one for a while and IMO it was better than an NS-2, Smart Gate, and the original Decimator. I sold it because I ended up needing the rack space and slightly prefer my Decimator II pedals to it, but I would have no problem owning another someday. Plus they go used for like $60 tops.

Just set the compressor settings to where your guitar doesn't trigger it and each channel will act as a standalone gate. Also, each channel has an output volume control so you can set that to either match your unaffected signal or boost it for a bit more juice.

5. mikeylewis1291

I'm looking into it now thank you. I love lamb of god Mark Morton is one of my idols

6. mikeylewis1291

I was actually looking at the isp...I guess I was considering that cheap because on sweetwaters site that is the one of the cheapest..

does anyone know how the isp decimator pro compares to the dbx 226xl

7. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

The problem with rackmount gates/limiters/compressors, is they are generaly designed to take line levels not instrument levels. They may not work as expected, or they may suck a sh*t ton of tone from an unboosted guitar signal.

8. mikeylewis1291

Oh, didnt even think about the line level....I'm fairly new to all this is use to be a amp and guitar only guy just recently started playing with effects and such.

9. mikeylewis1291

actually I knew a guy who got the privilege of talking to Seth from behemoth and he asked him how he got his guitar tone like that with out having a pedal board.

he told him your amp has distortion, use it....so I sorta took that to heart for a long time but I don't have an expensive mesa amp full stack so I'm going to start using pedals and effect units now lol

10. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

I don't disagree with any of the recommendations given thus far, but if you aren't happy with the core tone you're getting without a gate, I don't think a noise gate will really improve your tone. If what you don't like about your tone is the excessive noise and feedback when you stop playing, then sure, a noise gate will fix that. I have an original Decimator and have been happy enough with it that I haven't sought out anything else. However if you don't care for the tone you get while you are actually playing it will not address that.

What type of settings are you using? Also, I'm curious as to the need for the Rock Crusher attenuator with your setup. The 6505MH into a small cab should get you pretty decent tones at very reasonable volume levels. If you bypass the Rock Crusher and just play amp into cab is the tone any better? I don't have personal experience with the Rock Crusher but in general my experience with attenuators is that they all do suck tone, and more so the more attenuation is applied.

11. mikeylewis1291

well that's a good point, I also have a micro terror and I liked the way it sounded with the rockcrusher, it has 2 eq options and I liked the way it flavors the amptone with very little attention on...but that's for when I play blues.

I just sorta plugged in the peavy where the orange was..I'll try it without the rockcrusher tonight

12. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

Maybe it's just me, but I found all the cheap DBX stuff to be pretty rubbish. Not only are the compressors and limiters really coloured (not in a good way), but the gate controls are extremely limited. Which wouldn't be an issue if the internal settings were good, but I didn't like that gate on anything.

13. BubbleWrap

BubbleWrap SS.org Regular

I just ordered a helix and have decided to get rid of my analog rig, which consisted of a 6505MH, jet city 2x12, randall facepunch & mor, and an ISP decimator 2. An OD pedal helps so much, but when used, you really need a gait. Send me a PM if you'd be interested in working something out for a pedal or two. I also can give you a few settings that worked for me.

14. eXile2

eXile2 Taylor Wright

Go for the ISP decimator!

15. Moe110

Moe110 SS.org Regular

Ive got the TC Electronics Sentry gate and with a direct comparison to the Decimator it definitely out does it. the Toneprint options are unreal! My Vote is on Sentry!

16. Mikeitloud

Mikeitloud SS.org Regular

++ Decimator

17. mikeylewis1291

I'm going with the isp decimator 2.

18. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

You have chosen.....wisely.

19. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred 80s Shred Riffs

Good choice with going with the Decimator!