No sound from EMG 707

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by guitar4tw, Jan 2, 2018.

1. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

So I have this Schecter Jeff Loomis signature that I bought from an authorized dealer in 2009.

Suddenly there is no sound from the guitar. Completely dead. Naturally I have put in a fresh battery. I have also gone through the wiring from the pickups to the output-jack, and there are no broken connections or short circuits anywhere as far as I can tell. Which I guess is unsurprising seeing as the guitar hasn't been subjected to falls/shock, and I have never been messing around with the internal cabling myself.

What do you think could have crapped out? I'm wondering if it could be the volume pot, as I'm assuming that it's unlikely that it could be the pickups themselves?

2. BubbleWrap

BubbleWrap SS.org Regular

It’s very unlikely that the pickups or pots would just suddenly kick the bucket without physical or electrical damage. Double check that the battery is fresh and that it isn’t the amp or cable. If you use pedals, some will kill the signal if they don’t have power either from a battery or power supply.

3. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Start by checking your output jack.

4. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

The battery that was in when it died was still fairly new, and it has now got a brand new battery in, so it's not that. The amp and cable are both working perfectly with my other guitars, and I've tried it without pedals in the loop at all.

I have unscrewed it, pulled it out and taken a good look at it. All three wires are still firmly soldered in place with no broken joints, and I've given the two tabs a little push to tighten up the connection they make with the jack.

There is nothing physically wrong anywhere that I can see, so it has to be something internal with either the pickups or the volume pot. I have sent a mail to my local repair technician and now waiting for a response. I'll make sure to keep this thread posted on what was wrong, but until then I really appreciate any further ideas shared on what it could be.

Does anyone know of stories about EMGs short circuiting or just plain stop working out of the blue?

5. rowsi

rowsi SS.org Regular

If the pickups themselves have solderless connectors you could check those, maybe they've come off somehow.
    And not to imply that you're stupid or anything, but are you sure you put the cable all the way in? I can't count the times I've put the cable in a stereo jack and thought it was fully in.

6. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

Yup, I removed the pickups and pulled out and re-connected the quick-connect tabs. They were properly connected and not the problem.

And the cable is all the way inn. ;)

7. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

have you check the quick connect for corrosion ? i remember seeing a similar thread not too long ago and that was the problem

8. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

Hmm, I didn't check specifically for this when I unplugged them but I can't recall noticing any rust on there.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  9. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Where did you get the guts from? Was it all new and/previously working?

Also, did you use one of those big soldering guns?

I'd call up EMG and see if they'll send you new pots and stuff. They've been awesome and have sent me all kinds of odds and ends, even on used guitars, for nothing. Good folks for sure.

10. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

I haven't touched any of the internals once since I got it new from the dealer, so everything in is stock.

I'll definitely send a mail to EMG and hear with them! Also looking forward to hearing back from my tech and getting a repair scheduled, as it's going to be interesting to finally get to the bottom of this little mystery.

A quick question regarding EMG pickups: are they wired in a way where if one stops working it also stops the other from producing a signal? Because there is no sound in any of the three positions on the selector switch, and I can't imagine both pickips having thrown in the towel at the same time...

11. MaxOfMetal

Sounds like either the jack or switch has failed in some way.

12. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

Yeah, I'm thinking there has to be some connection that has become broken somewhere that I'm not seeing. Note that I'm completely green when it comes to soldering and wiring schematics, so there could be something amiss that I didn't notice during my quick check.

I wonder if the connection inside the switch could be faulty? The main base of the switch when seen from inside the guitar, the part that connects all the wires that are soldered on to it, seems to be made of epoxy. Perhaps this has become dry, warped and as a result the switch isn't making a metal to metal connection internally. That would kill the signal. I think either this, or that something is wrong with the input jack that I didn't notice, are the most probable causes.

13. MaxOfMetal

I'd probably just quickly resolder everything with new wire and go from there. It's cheap, fast and will rule out pretty much all the usual suspects.

14. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

Ok, a little update. This is weird.

I switched my amp on just to try and wiggle the switch around to see if there was a faulty connection. No luck, but when I unplugged the guitar I heard a quick sound. Scratching my head I plugged the cable back in slowly, and what do you know, it produces sound when the cable is only 80% plugged in. Push it in completely to the last "click" and sound is gone completely again.

The sound was poor and very low in output. I guess this shows something is wrong with the input jack?

15. MaxOfMetal

Rewire jack and try again. Also, check to make sure the jack is contacting the cable properly when inserted.

guitar4tw likes this.
  16. oversteve

oversteve SS.org Regular

this really sounds like you have attached the pickup connectors to pickups upside down and the +9 wire is mixed with the signal wire, therefore you get a sound when you put jack into guitar partially and then it disappears after you plug it in completely, be sure that the plugs are connected like this
    [​IMG]

Zhysick likes this.
  17. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

So it was luckily a really simple thing to fix. Two of the tabs inside the input jack had for some reason become a little bent and was touching each other, causing a short circuit. He did mention that there was almost too little room in the route for the input jack, so that the tabs could easily hit the wood and become bent if the cable were to receive some knocks, so i need to be a bit careful when I use the guitar and unplug it.

Think I'll buy a cable with a 90 degree angle to use with this guitar.

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas shared in the thread!