No man's sky

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Glosni, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Pav

Pav ???

I've been hearing conflicting reports on the game's first several hours. The guy ringing me up for my copy earlier told me the complete opposite, that for him the game was a dry, monotonous grind early on to gather resources, but once he had them and a few upgrades the game really took off. Apparently the beginning experience is also highly dependent on what type of planet you start on.

2. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Interesting. there's allot about this game that really pushes boundaries. I think its good people are doing that, but its def a risk. you need to give a consistent experience to everyone starting out and let them shape their journey

3. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I'm late to the hype train, but I just heard about the game today and think it looks like some good fun. I'll wait for it to be out for a bit before giving it a chance myself, but I'm willing to bet I could get $60 worth of fun out of it easily.

4. Pav

Pav ???

This .... is seriously addictive. It reminds of Destiny if Destiny had actually succeeded in creating the universe they were touting. Anything you see, you can explore.

5. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

cool

keen to hear how it fares over the coming weeks

6. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Same here. I would love an incredible in-depth space exploring game but I'm also afraid that it would eat up all my free time and that I would become single shortly after. :lol:

7. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

This thing looks super cool, but I'm letting the dust settle for a while before I consider buying in.

I've already invested so much time in Elite Dangerous, which also has an impossibly large galaxy to explore. I don't think I have room for another unapologetic time-suck in my gaming life. :lol:

8. Xcaliber

Xcaliber SS.org Regular

I just bought this game for the PS4. I'm hoping the auto-download/queue works so it's downloaded when I get home and I can play.

9. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

So they announced that there will be no preloading for PC, so if any of you were hoping for that it's no longer a possibility.

I just want to see Sean Murray come out and clear some stuff on Twitter. There is still quite a bit that hasn't been clarified yet, which is why many players are reluctant to buy the game.

Does Elite still have a large community?

Elite seems interesting, but the average steam review is mixed which has me a bit worried about the game. I've heard one of the developers even banned a player because he wrote a negative review of the game.

10. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

It seems to, but hard for me to say - I just play 'solo' mode. With few exceptions, I'm not much of a multiplayer fellow.

ED's problem (or up-shot, depending on one's perspective) is time/effort versus reward. I've literally put weeks into it, and have yet to reach the top echelon of ships/ranks/income/whatever. It's just endlessly grind-ey. The hours required to accomplish anything significant are pretty much in part-time-job territory.

Most of the time, I'm okay with that. Sometimes, it makes me angry enough that I walk away for weeks at a time. It does occasionally feel like the developers are only interested in 'realism' when it translates to something that makes the game harder. All that said, some of the higher points of the game (dogfighting in conflict zones, endless exploration, hidden lore, etc) can make it all worthwhile.

Though, I'm not sure who I'm trying to convince -- myself, or anyone else.. :lol:

From what I understand, both games are bogged down in minutia; it's just a question of which part(s) of each game. In ED, the minutia is in travel, and economics; in NMS it's survival (or so I've read, anyway).

Not trying to derail the thread - just wanted to answer the question. :yesway:

11. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Well you just sold me on which side of the Elite Dangerous vs No Man's Sky debate I was having in my head when I heard about this game. I really can't get into a game that's way too heavy on the grinding so I'll probably pick this one up when the dust settles/when it's on sale.

12. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Played for a couple hours tonight and that sounds about right. I started out on a really cold planet with next to no zinc around (what you need to charge up your suit to protect you from the cold). Took a long time making runs looking for resources and quickly dashing back to the ship, waiting in the cockpit overnight until it warms up, and repeating before I had enough resources to fix things and take off and find somewhere more resource rich. Then everything moved a lot faster.

13. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I really want to be excited about this game as I love the concept and I'm super into the idea of exploring space while listening to 65daysofstatic, but I haven't seen anything to convince me that it's not just gonna be the same things over and over again after a couple hours though. Really hoping as people spend more time with it something will pop up that will change my mind.

14. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

Took a chance on it. Refunded after 59 minutes. Runs like crap.

15. Pav

Pav ???

^ Were you playing on PC? Somehow that doesn't surprise me.

16. Cloudy

Cloudy Dunvegan Guitars Contributor

I think you can use titanium to repair your suit as well, just destroy the sentinel droids flying around for it :)

17. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

Runs fine on PC for me :shrug:

Anywho, here are my two cents: Definitely not worth $60, but still fun. I havent been able to put it down since release on the 12th. I "found" a copy for free and will probably buy it later on after they update the game a bunch and reduce the price to something more reasonable.

18. Stealth7

Stealth7 SS.org Irregular

19. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

20. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

After reading A LOT of this I'm extremely disappointed :noplease::noway:

I waited for the game to come out since I initially heard about it...I didn't buy on release day due to funds....I'm actually glad I didn't buy it. I have a feeling I would be beyond disappointed if I purchased it. :wallbash:

EDIT: I read all of it. NOT getting any of my money. F that game.