Nintendo NX announcement today!

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by StevenC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Got my Switch in, and a lot of people are complaining about this but a lot of docks have the front panel bent inwards causing scratches when you dock the system and undock it. I don't recommend adding padding to the dock, but get one of those tempered glass screen protectors.

I got the amfilm one on Amazon and it's awesome, comes with a ton of extra supplies and an extra screen protector if you damage or mess up the first one. But it actually feels like glass which is great in comparison to the plastic screen the Switch came with.

If anyone's curious, if you leave the dock near a window and put a book or something slightly larger than the dock inside it. It'll bend back into place and get a bit more straight, I preferred doing that rather than sending it back and waiting with my fingers crossed if the next one would be straight or not. So fair warning, at least the plastic and rubber inserts can't scratch the tempered glass.

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Im saving for a switch atm and I havent heard about this, therefore this is top notch advice. Thank you for this. I will heed this warning and buy the screen protectors and things at the same time when I do order.

naughty Nintendo, shipping the switch with these issues is really poor. Especially when the Wii U was garbage. You would think they would have hit a home run with the switch. Shame.

(I still want one haha)

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I played a Switch this weekend. It was really nifty. Breath of the Wild has a little bit of a learning curve - it felt similat to playing Ocarina of Time on the N64 for the first time, which was an enjoyable experience.

4. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Yeah no prob dude! I'm actually glad mine got delayed over launch weekend, I got to read about all this and order everything like the screen protector I needed before using the thing :lol:

5. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Has anyone with a switch bought Mario Kart 8 and have kids that play it? My kids are about to turn 8 and 4 and I really want to get a switch with Mario Kart 8 if they can play it. I'm thinking they can handle it especially with the auto-steer, auto-accelerate options which they could start with and learn to do without. Thoughts for those with kids that play it?

6. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I got Mario Kart 8 to try and get my fiancee to play, and maybe my son when he can grip a controller without chewing it.... But I can picture this not being too difficult for your little ones. Mario Kart has also been pretty easy to pick up and play, more difficult to master. I know this was the first Mario Kart I've played since 64, and was able to pick it back up in minutes.

Maybe not the exact answer you're looking for, but overall, I feel your little ones wouldn't have too much of an issue playing Mario Kart 8.

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

IMO, 4 is probably about the perfect age to try it out. Nintendo does a good job on games like this to make them fairly intuitive to play.

---------

I just bought my wife a Switch for her birthday. She seems to really like it so far. They are still not super easy to find, but they are out there if you look hard enough.

8. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Visiting my 4 and 5 year old cousins who had never played video games, they couldn't figure Mario Kart out at all. Giving it to 6 and 7 year old cousins who had played video games went over really well.

The kids that couldn't play it still had a blast, though.

9. TheShreddinHand

It's funny cause my kids would sit and watch videos all day of people playing MK on YouTube, so even if they can't do it they can watch me!! Haha!

10. TheShreddinHand

So another question for you guys, are the left joycon issues still present with it losing connection? And what about the dock scratching the screen? I was thinking I'd have to pick up one of those $10 or so dock covers cause I'd hate to get a scratch on there right away!

11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Dock scratching is very rare and fixable, caused by the dock being at the wrong angle. Left Joy Con issues are disappearing, but if you have it Nintendo will fix it.

12. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

^ I haven't had the scratching issue. In fact, I don't see how that'd happen; glass is a lot harder than the plastic the dock is made of. I have, however, had a few issues with the left Joycon losing connection, but only when I'm decently far from the console (more than 3 meters/9 feet or so).

Also, how do they "fix" it? Remotely? It doesn't feel like a hardware issue, but it could well be, in which case I'd need to get the console replaced and/or Joycon replaced.

In other news, the Switch seems to promise some neat stuff coming up. Super Mario Odyssey looks deliciously wacky and totally fantastic:

And I think I shat my pants when I saw this:

13. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

The screen is plastic, not glass. The issue with the Joy Con is the antenna, which they replace. They can send you a replacement controller as well to reduce downtime, but the issue hasn't been cropping up much lately.

Alberto7 likes this.
  14. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

Woops! I could have sworn the screen was glass. That would make more sense then. I may just contact them then to see if they can help me with it.

15. Ralyks

Some company sells tempered glass screen covers on Amazon for like, a 2 pack for 10 bucks. Work like a charm, not hard to apply. Applied one to my Switch as soon as I got it. Its survived my 2 year old so far, so that's saying something.

16. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Just bought a switch. The stores here finally had save 6 of deliveries come in and I couldn't pass up on the opportunity. I'll be playing Zelda the rest of the month....

Also, all the games at E3 look cool. That's mostly what made me buy a switch over the ps4 (which I still is want because horizon zero dawn...). From Splatoon to the weird Mario & Rabbids meets x-com game. Excited for the next year of Nintendo games. First time since the Wii came out I've been really excited about them.

17. TheShreddinHand

Thanks guys. Yeah, they had some cool showings yesterday. Would have loved to hear more about their online/multiplayer service and where that's going though, and see what other past games they'll be adding to the eshop. But methinks they're holding until they're absolutely sure all Wii and Wii U sales are wiped out before they announce more games coming to eshop.

18. Ralyks

I wouldn't be shocked if they try to get as many "new/deluxe/remastered/etc" versions of Wii U games to Switch as possible, since the Wii U did so poorly and a lot of people missed out on some quality games, despite the failings on the system. Mario Kart 8 and Pokken Tournament being 2 such examples. Heck, even Splatoon 2 seems like Splatoon Deluxe (but hey, I could be proven wrong when I pick it up). I'd put money (and REALLY REALLY REALLY hope this happens) on Smash Bros. for Wii U getting a port. Bayonetta 2 would be nice. I WISH there would be a version of Mario Maker on Switch, I'm just not sure how that would work...

But man, E3 made the Switch look 100x more promising and making me not regret my Switch impulse purchase so much. Though I wish they elaborated on the Classic Game service and/or even mention the Virtual Console (I guess those are existing as separate entities?)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  19. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Splatoon 2 has new weapon types, new weapons, new stages, new modes, new multiplayer mechanics, new equipment mechanics, and a new story. Calling it Splatoon Deluxe is an insult.

20. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

Pokken desperately needed the port. It wasn't up to date (arcade version was further along) and the Wii U release was hobbled by a need for two systems to play local matches properly. Smash 4 will almost certainly get ported, but there are some potential drawbacks to that.