Nintendo NX announcement today!

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by StevenC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

that's what a PC is for

2. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I mean that's what I currently use. I like the idea of having a console around to play with friends and stuff though but I'm not sold on any of the current consoles.

3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Some Switch ads:

4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Guys, don't play your Switch on the toilet. Don't play your Switch on the toilet and then throw a party with several of your friends playing the Switch. Nintendo.....

5. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Not gonna lie, after watching Nintendo's original press conference I was a little underwhelmed and thinking this is Wii U 2.0, but now that I've had more time to let it sink in and have been following everything I'm pretty pumped about the Switch and really hope it succeeds. I'm leaning heavily on the side of picking one up. Zelda looks great and with my kids being 7 and 3, Mario Kart would be endless fun with them. Not to mention being able to bring this thing on the road for trips for them. I know there will be great Nintendo exclusives, but really hoping to see more on the "games" side here.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I got burned on the wii and then wii-U. You need to be really sure you like nintendo's first party games, because that's all you're guaranteed. I love them, but I'm not much for replaying games. They released Monster hunter on it, so I thought I'd be getting the rest as well. NOPE. So I basically have a Smash/Mario kart box for when friends come over. I have no intention of picking one up within the first 3 years, if then.

7. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I do love first party Nintendo games that much, but I have so many PS4 games that the earliest I'd even look at a Switch is probably around the time Mario Odyssey comes out. Even then, I'm waiting for Wii Us to get cheap so I can get Mario Maker...

8. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I mean I got the Wii U for 200, and I have about 14 games for it with 5 I still play on regular basis. So I got my mileage for how much I got it for pretty easily. Got into the Wii U very late though, sometime like 2 years in.

I already preordered the Switch solely for Breath of the Wild and the other first party games they've already announced for this year. I'm more into PC gaming, but I've always said I would support Nintendo whenever they have another console out. Hoping it turns out good.

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I got the Wii U at launch, and spent maybe ~2 weeks very casually exploring Nintendoland, and then I played Zombie U a little, and played maybe 3 or 4 games on the console once or twice. So, I essentially played two games on the console, which is a record low for me. I loved the Wii, but I could have taken a pass on the Wii U and my life would have been no different.

10. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

everyone likes different things.. Thats how I felt with a ps4 or xbox one s.. I'd have very little games that interest me, especially since they haven't made a good final fantasy or castlevania in 10 years. Another FPS or third person RPG with insane graphics, crappy controls and no story as their big games of the year? Oh how exciting. Outside of Halo and Madden, I dont think any games on the xbox even remotely interest me.

11. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

I'm not buying it at launch (mostly because I forgot and don't want to spend all the money right away) but I'll probably get it this summer. I rarely sit in front of my tv so having it semi-handheld is cool. I'm also incredibly excited about every new Zelda and proper Mario platformer and kart game, so yeah :lol: I dig the ability to play split screen and both using one 'half' of the side controllers.

Here's to hoping it'll do better than the Wii U (the only Nintendo console I don't own since I bought a GameBoy Color at age ~10).

12. UnderTheSign

Can't edit my previous post so, double post time!

After seeing Blunty review it, I'm pretty sure: I'll be buying one in a few months unless it turns out to be a complete POS at launch.

I can carry the console with a controller in my bag and play at my place while I leave the dock at my GF's (who prefers the big screen, I've never really minded smaller screens much), play Mario Kart with friends or show off Zelda wherever I am... Plus in portable mode it has USB-C charging so I can hook up my powerbank.

13. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Game in the UK are doing a midnight launch for the Switch, so it looks like the 3rd will be a very long day of Zelda.

14. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

15. Ralyks

Nintendo is trying to catch up with the times in the weirdest way....

16. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

As far as I'm concerned, Breath of the Wild seems to be a complete game as it is sold. The DLC seems genuine extra stuff, so therefore I'm ok with them releasing DLC. So far in my experience with Nintendo's handling of DLC I've been quite happy, with the likes of Fire Emblem and Splatoon. But also Mario Kart was the best value for money DLC ever, so I have full faith in Nintendo making it worth it.

To be honest, I'd rather have overpriced DLC that isn't worth it than an unfinished game they sell to me over a year. For example recent games from other developers have come out unfinished, with as much content as the demos, then charged the full price of a game again for the DLC if you want the finished game. I'd also rather when they announce a season pass they tell me what it is and when I'll get it, unlike other developers who charge £50 for something at some point in the next year.

17. Ralyks

Also, to be fair, $20 isn't the worst I've heard for a Season pass (or "Expansion Pass" or whatever...)

18. UnderTheSign

While DLC overkill is the bane of modern gaming, I remember buying tons of expansion cd roms years ago. It was already common for games like age of empires.

And I'm fine with add-on/expansion content as long as it's an actual extra. Like with fallout, I can play a complete game and I usually never bought the dlc until a year or more after the original release. Same with Borderlands.

19. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

FAST RMX, Snipperclips and Shovel Knight are all launch titles now!

My day 1 will be very busy.

20. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

Nice.