Nintendo NX announcement today!

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by StevenC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

So far only two launch titles, which is worrying, but I want so many of the games. There's also Skyrim, Shin Megami Tensai, No More Heroes, Project Octopath Travellers (from the Bravely Default team), Dragon Quest X, XI and Dragon Quest Heroes I and II, Mincraft, Rime, FIFA and NBA 2K.

But two launch titles?

2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

2 main launch titles does bother me too somewhat.

So far a bunch of predictable suspects show up and even more Breath Of The Wild teasing. Yeah yeah, Zelda's in an imbuggerance and Link needs to sort things out. But I am looking forward to sorting things out in a massive world.

Yeah yeah, Mario Kart eleventy billion the next generation and gasp, a new Mario game is what we all have come to expect. It is nice to see Splatoon get a sequel considering it's the a first new first-party IP Nintendo has done recently. And what looks like a new FP-IP, ARMS, which screams both Nintendo and 'force the player to use the gimmicky hardware controls'. Despite cynicism, I do welcome more new IP, but ARMS suspiciously reminds me of that dreadful Castlevania fighting game for the Wii a few years back... :ugh:

I'm hoping No More Heroes is a new game rather than a port. And any EA Sports game can just go straight to the bin as far as I'm concerned.

Ultra Street Fighter 2 is something I should be on board for, but it bugs me feeling like it's just a port of the Super Turbo remix but with "Evil and Violent" skins of 2 characters who invented the fighting game pallette swap.

Xenoblade 2 caught me completely off guard. I loved the first game, but never got to play Xenoblade X (yet) largely on the count of being "a Wii U game". X2 is even taunting me with the fact that the composers of the first game (sans Yoko Shimomura) are back on board. Dammit once more....

I really want my cynicism to be shut down. X2 and Zelda so far are doing it for me.

3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

4. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

NEW MARIO AW YEAH

5. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

Honestly, so far, it's looking better than I thought it was going to. It's gimmicky, sure, but it also seems quite practical if you chose to use it more traditionally, and it seems to be delivering in terms of making third-party developer's jobs easier, as well as delivering upgraded visuals.

Then the games.

That Super Mario Odyssey looked pretty awesome and got me pumped. I've always been a big fan of the main Mario titles, and this one seems to be knocking it out of the park again... we'll see though.

Xenoblade 2 also caught me completely off guard; I didn't even know they were working on another one. Never played a Xenoblade game, but I've always inexplicably been a fan because of the art direction and music. (And the gameplay looks fantastic.)

But holy sh*t. My expectations for Zelda: Breath of the Wild have always been high, but that last trailer literally had me gasping. I felt like a totally rabid fanboy, and felt no shame in it. :lol:

That's $400 (CAD) that I know I shouldn't spend but will probably end up spending anyway... it's funny, because I haven't bought any new gear in years under the pretense that I'm a starving university student, yet I'd likely feel no remorse in buying a Switch with the new Zelda on it. :lol::ugh:

6. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Sad to see them drop the ball this badly. Never thought I'd see the day that Nintendo goes the way of Sega, but here it is, the final hardware release by Nintendo. #ripnintendo

7. TheDivineWing22

TheDivineWing22 You've got the touch

Can I get that crystal ball when you're done with it? I need to see if I win the lottery.

8. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Xenoblade 2 is coming out in 2017, by the way. In Japan at least.

9. SirToastalot

SirToastalot Needs a better rig..

I was not expecting anything Xenoblade related this early in the Switch's time frame, and with a vague 2017 release date! A very pleasant surprise.

The speculation seems to be that there are two 'Xenoblade' teams within Monolith Soft. One is concentrating on the more futuristic/sci-fi arm: Chronicles X, and the other is developing the more traditional Chronicles line.
    A few years ago they put out recruitment adverts featuring artwork that looked more nature-related (trees/spirits/creatures) for an unannounced title - people presumed that it was for a 3DS RPG title, but it never materialised. Can we safely assume that they were recruiting for XC2 and that it's been in development for a while now?

I don't think I'll be getting the Switch on launch (I've never bought a games console that early on), so I'll stick with the Wii U for 'Breath of the Wild' and see how things shape up, but Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a very tempting prospect. Hooray for it being an alleged direct sequel to the original game and the return of ACE and others to the composing team. :eek:

10. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

11. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

Im buying one for sure. I dont like all the dang extra stuff, just include the important stuff for a solid package. Oh well. Never got a Wii U so Mario Kart 8 will be nice.

I hope it wont end like the Wii did for me, I only got it for smash, zelda, mario kart and mario galaxy.
    So some cool titles is what im hoping for.
    Im not sure about the new Mario, i thought it looked awfull with the gta style map.

12. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

Okay, top to bottom:

Cool console is REALLY cool. Hopefully this will converge the stationary and mobile consoles Nintendo has. I'd rather have 1 really cool pseudo-mobile console, a la what we see now, than two different consoles with different games and performances. Holy cow it's cool they allow to downscale performance and resolution, to allow for mobility. And it won't be an issue in terms of kids; since they can scale the games and the performance relative to the hardware, they can release a future console "NinX", full 4k60fps docked and 1080p60fps undocked, and console "NinY", 1080p60fps docked and 480p60fps undocked in a kid-friendly form-factor. Same software package, same games, just 2 different hardware configs and 3 resolutions.

Few launch titles are worrysome. No cross compatability is double so. Hopefully this console is different enough that parents actually recognize it as its own entity rather than another Wii (which was a super fail last gen), which will push sales in the range of the acceptable. Having a LoZ as launch is strong, but god damn push that mario game earlier!

Making mario kart 8 into a deluxe edition was a smart move. HD remakes are fine, but this game probably underperformed due to console sales; this console will sell way more, and having it available will push the sales figures way up. But come on; WHY NOT SSB4 ALSO?!

Big fan of Splatoon as a concept, glad they use it. Xenoblade return is awesome. Arms looks cool.

Okay Nintendo, you have grabbed my interest, and shown capability. Now go dominate!

13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I actually feel the opposite to you.

I thought the Wii and the Wii U were gimmicky garbage that made me feel like they were sadly going the way of Sega...but this has restored my faith entirely.

me and the missus want a Switch now to replace her Wii (which she loves but I hate and this was the compromise/agreement)

but yeah funny how everyone's views are so different. I cant wait to pick this console up (and Ive personally NEVER purchased a Nintendo Console)

I owned a SNES (was a gift) and played the N64 round mates loads but until now, never bought one.

15. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I was thinking of getting a 3ds for my train commute.

May have to hold off just to see how the switch goes.

16. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

My gripe with this is that this is the sort of thing that should be standard on the console upon purchase. The fact there are varying versions of the grip itself (plastic grip and chargeable grip) confuses the customer base and is just annoying. I do agree that yes, I can plug in my controller once I am done and there are no problems but if Nintendo want to unify their broken platform, they should keep things simple.

I think the Switch needs a stronger software suite to really sell. At the moment the initial launch titles look sparse aside from Zelda.

17. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Fire Emblem for Switch announced for 2018. Also, FE Warriors confirmed for N3DS as well, but based on Hyrule Warriors for N3DS, I'll be getting the Switch version.

18. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Fire Emblem Warriors is just the Musou engine by Koei/Tecmo, which they've been using for Dynasty Warriors. It's been their main template for other franchises like Gundam and Fist Of The North Star.

Hyrule Warriors was Nintendo's first flitting attempts with the Musou engine and it makes sense that Fire Emblem gets the same treatment. And of course being Koei/Tecmo, you can guarantee to have one thing: glorious jiggle physics. :lol:

19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

IMO, your last point eclipses anything to do with the controller. Nintendo has sort of always had this problem to some extent. The best titles for the NES were years after launch, for example. Looking at Zelda and Mario, I'm not sure what to think yet, but if Nintendo's habit is to release a new console, come up with a Mario and a Zelda, and maybe one or two other hit titles, then slack off on developing further software, and scare away most third parties, there is no use in people buying that console.

I've heard the argument that Nintendo releases consoles that are great for little kids. While I agree that it's true, because of the intuitive controls and game mechanics, if that's the main selling point, a toddler or preschooler can also play an old console or a leap pad, since the same logic applies and everything is new to them anyway. With that argument in mind, what's the point of spending another $300?

I've been a huge fan of Nintendo since the first time I played an NES (The Legend of Zelda), and I collected tons of NES games and SNES games and N64 games, and I was a huge fan of the Wii, but, to me, the Wii U was just really a letdown, and 95% of why was the lack of software.

20. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

I was definitely into the idea of this console originally, but from what I've seen it's not powerful enough to hang with modern AAA games, which means even though they boasted 3rd party developers, it's probably going to have very few modern 3rd party games. The fact that their biggest flashiest 3rd party game is Skyrim which is 6 years old says a lot. I'm just not enough of a hardcore Nintendo fan to buy a console solely to play Nintendo games