Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by StevenC, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

That's a good thing. Failing that, I saw that there are already long extension cables available, and the included HDMI cable is pretty long, too. Using the reset button to change games and to manage save-states might drive the decisions- like, someone might want to have the console closer to them for that functionality while others won't and prefer the console to stay in the entertainment center, using the controller from a distance.

2. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Yup, here's both of them:

http://nyko.com/collections/nes-classic-edition

extension cord would still be borderline for me with where my couch is. Crazy to think I gotta spend $20 (probably times 2) to play on the $60 console, but my kids are going to love this thing.

3. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Have there been availability issues with this? I'm definitely trying to score one for the holidays.

4. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

^This is just anecdotal, but on release day, my FB feed blew up with people complaining that it was sold out everywhere.

Which, based on Nintendo's history, would be pretty much par for the course. I remember my parents pre-ordering Mario 2 for my birthday in '89. Demand outpaced supply so badly that Nintendo had to change the pre-orders to back-orders. Having rinsed/repeated that process countless times over the intervening three decades, I'm left to presume it's an intentional part of their business strategy.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

It looks like you are absolutely correct in assuming this is Nintendo's business model, according to this Forbes article.

Also, check this auction, and the description even says SOLD-OUT, so you probably won't even get one for 3 grand. :lol:

6. Demiurge

Yeah, it apparently sold out immediately on release day at all brick & mortars and websites. Amazon then declared that more units would be made available at 5pm (that same day, I think) and it was like classic Ticketmaster: site froze, units disappeared from carts, and all sold out by 5:01. WalMart did the same for the past 3 days and the same thing happened. I saw articles about people using bots to snap them up quicker than normal people so that probably explains it.

7. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

8. Ralyks

So I apologize for the necrobump, although it does technically contain a news item that we didn't post here. But mostly a bit of a story.

So back on Tuesday (April 11th, day before my birthday), I went to Gamestop to trade a bunch of games in. Forgot what I was in the process of grabbing, but then I asked out of curiosity;

Me:"Are you folks ever getting NES Classics in again?"
    Gamestop employee: "Actually, we have 4 in the back right now."
    Me: "..... Cancel [whatever game I was getting with the trade in] and ring one of those up."

So with my trade in, I didn't pay a dime and finally got my hands on an NES Classic.

The very next day, Nintendo announces they are discontinuing the NES Classic, or at least the verbiage says in the US.
    So here I am, wondering if I should be lucky to have scored one, enjoy it, and maybe make it my sons first console..... Orrrrrrr careful put it back in the back in the box (which is still in perfect condition and with all of the internal packaging) and observe evilBay over the next few weeks.

9. bostjan

Ask yourself how much it's worth to you then check the price. I don't know how crazy they'll get, but the craze might be near peak at this moment. If Nintendo announces an NES Classic Mini II, then you might as well keep it.

10. Ralyks

I feel its more likely that we get the Super NES Classic next. Nintendo even stated in their press release about the NES Classic that it was never meant to be a long term thing, I guess more of a collectors item. While its awesome to finally play some of the best games ever on a 4k without it looking awful, there are other ways to play those games, and the funds would be helpful.

On the other hand, its a freakin' mini NES with some of the best games ever. Its oddly adorable sitting next to my PS4 Pro.

11. bostjan

You could hock it on eBay, then grab a RetroPi and pay half a semester's college tuition for your kid. :2c:

12. Ralyks

That was part of the thought process, yes :lol:

13. Demiurge

Some of those prices on eBay- oof. At this point, it's purely a matter of people paying for the design and the chassis.

For those who just want to play the games, there's obviously a price point where the unit is no longer pragmatic. Why pay $400 for this when one could buy a refurbished Wii download all the games on the virtual console and have cash left over? Even better, they can make their own retro game roster with the wider selection: swap-out Super C with Contra, Castlevania II with Rondo of Blood, Ice Climber & Balloon Fight with literally anything else...

14. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

I thought about tracking one of these down because they were only 60 dollars, but 400? That's absurd.

I saw one on craigslist that was 100 dollars and now the same guy wants to trade it straight up for the Switch. I think if we wait a few months they'll become reasonable again.

Couldn't you theoretically get a used system online and order some of the games, resell and then buyothers? It's not like you play all 30 simultaneously.

15. Ralyks

I'd honestly just get a real NES if it didn't look awful on modern TVs

16. Ralyks

GameSpot is reporting that we are indeed looking at a Super NES Classic this Holiday. All I ask for is Super Mario World, Super Metroid, A Link To The Past, Donkey Kong Country (at least the first 2), Super Mario RPG, Yoshis Island, Earthbound, and Super Mario Kart. (There's a couple others like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III/VI, but I have those on PS3 already).

Try to remember to get two this time...

17. bostjan

There were a lot of excellent games for the SNES, but there were also a disproportionately high number of terrible games for the SNES, too.

If the thing doesn't have Super Mario World and A Link to the Past, Nintendo would be certifiably insane.

Personally, I'd also love to see Donkey Kong Country (and 2), Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG, Star Fox, and whichever Final Fantasy was the first one on the system (the numbers from that time period always confuse me). They need some form of Street Fighter II, and then at least a couple of the deeper cuts that were good, like Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, etc., and I think they'd most likely need to have Chrono Trigger. Other games I loved at the time might not translate as well onto a reissue console, like Mario All Stars, Mario Paint, and Sim City. I kind of like F Zero, but honestly, I played it only for a couple of days before I got bored with it back then, so I don't imagine it'd be very exciting now, but maybe that's just me. They can keep Shaq Fu, Wayne's World, Race Driver, Super Wizard of Oz, and Lester the Unlikely off of it, though. :2c:

In the end, though, this will end up being just as scarce as the NES Mini, so there's not much chance I'll actually get one. :shrug:

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Seems to me like the SNES has a much bigger library of decent-to-good games, enough that it would be much harder to nail down a handful of them that would hit most people's sense of nostalgia the same way. Most people I know who had an NES played more or less the same games, but I'm not sure the SNES was quite the same kind of shared experience.

19. bostjan

I agree. Even in the couple minutes since I typed my post above, I thought of the Lost Viking Series, which was different, but was a total blast to play, Turtles in Time, which was fun to play alone, but even better with a friend, and Knights of the Round, which was a King Arthur side scrolling smash and slash game.

20. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I guarantee that everyone selling them will have a 1 per customer limit