Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by StevenC, Jul 14, 2016.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

30 games for $60 is a good deal, except when you don't choose which games and the games are all ~30 years old, then, not really. Parents getting this for nostalgia's sake, maybe, but parents are typically busy, and spend a lot of money already on kid stuff. I challenge Nintendo to prove me wrong, but I don't think this unit will fly with that demographic.

Sure, Zelda is single player, but Tecmo Bowl, Bubble Bobble, Mario Bros., and Ice Climber are actually meant to be played by two people. I think even if they include only three or four games designed primarily as two player games, that not including a second controller is a bummer. Maybe they will produce enough controllers that it won't be any problem picking up a second one, though, as was the case with the N64.

These are all kid friendly games. The selection of games would have been fine if it was expandable. Not being expandable makes it, well, just what I said earlier...

Which consoles don't come with the power supply?!

It's not stealing if you already own the game. Maybe I'll but the NES mini just so I can legally obtain a couple more ROMs. I never owned nor played Balloon Fight...hmm, on second though, for $60...no. Who is this targeted toward, besides people who don't do emulation and don't own a functioning NES?

I know you aren't addressing me, but you cannot ignore the fact that the Wii U had dismal sales. We don't know anything about the NX, but Nintendo has, so far, said things about it that most likely will end up equating to nonsense.

3DS sales are okay, but tapered off in 2015. I'd say, though, that Nintendo has the market on hand-held portable game consoles, ... but ... then again, hand-held portable game consoles are quite possibly on the decline, with younger and younger kids getting smartphones and tablets.

I don't disagree, I just think the biggest flaw of the device is a tragic missed opportunity. And I honestly don't think it will sell out for long.

2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Honestly, I'm grabbing one of these on release day. I hope it has a way to add more games in the future.

3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

When I mentioned lack of power supplies I was mostly talking about how a lot of tablets and phones etc don't come with chargers anymore and at best just a USB cable. Though, Nintendo doesn't package a charger with the 3DS anymore, their reason being it's the same charger since the DS Lite and there are a lot of them out there already.

I reckon it's being targeted at folks who've stopped playing games since their NES or SNES and have since been reminded by the Pokemon Go trend.

The Wii U did have awful sales, there were a variety of contributing factors here. Basically all we've been told about the NX is that it's coming out in early 2017 and will have the biggest game of E3 as a launch title. It's already starting out better than the Wii U.

3DS has been pretty successful, and you've summed it up pretty well.

I just up the inevitable SNES version will be expandable.

4. bostjan

But those are all portable handheld things. A console that plugs into a TV and uses cabled controllers not coming with a power supply is just goofy decision making.

5. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Similar as with the WiiU, that could have been a major success as a family console (not only kids), because it was next gen one year before the competition and was a major fail because of totally idiotic product politics which lead to a lack of good games. By far the best game was ZombiU, which was not only third party, but also had outdated graphics. In one year I only had 5 games, the rest were Wii classics, so I bought a PS4.

And from the announcements about the NX so far, I fear they will do similar nonsense again, maybe even worse.

6. bostjan

ZombiU was the best Wii U game I came across. Nintendoland was okay for me, but I didn't get hyped up about it at all. Pretty much every other game I tried on the Wii U didn't really capture the functionality of the device, was not fun to play, had weird graphics, or a combination of those.

The console, for me, did not capture any of the magic the Wii had in its prime.

And, it seemed, there were not a lot of titles for any contemporary consoles at or just after launch, so Nintendo was poised to make a pretty strong stab into the market, they just didn't pull it off.

If Nintendo doesn't give anyone a peek at the NX in the next 3-4 months, they will not be able to garner any hype over the console in time to get big numbers at release. I think they are already burning prime marketing time now.

7. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

8. bostjan

Pretty much why I was surprised that they ignored Tetris and Dragon Warrior titles. Now I see those at the top of your list. :shrug:

I also would have loved Crystalis to be included, even though it was not as popular a game, it was very popular amongst those who were privileged enough to have played it. But, being an SNK game, I wasn't sure Nintendo would be able to secure the rights even if they wanted to do so. Oh well.

9. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I'm not saying they didn't miss any, but I am saying that the existing list of titles has most of their best and/or most popular titles, so when I read "most are not the top titles" I guess it just rubbed me wrong. I get that these things are largely subjective. I just figure it has Mario/Zelda/Metroid, which, TL;DR = it has the top titles.

Certainly there are titles that I would swap if given the choice, but that doesn't mean the titles in which I'm lacking interest weren't hugely popular.

As for Tetris, specifically, I'm guessing that was a licensing thing, too:

"The Tetris Company, LLC (TTC) is based in Hawaii and is owned by Henk Rogers and Alexey Pajitnov. The company is the exclusive licensee of Tetris Holding LLC, the company that owns Tetris rights worldwide and the Tetris Company licenses the Tetris brand to third parties."

Moot point for me anyway. Being comfortable with emulators, and having hands that really, really don't enjoy the shape of the original NES controllers, I'll likely pass. Not to mention, I still have my original NES in working condition. :yesway:

10. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

I found Mass Effect even better, but ZombiU is that reference title, when it comes to the potential of the console, the best integration of the pad into the game experience, though Mass Effect's pad use was quite nice too ... or maybe also Assassin's Creed's pad use.

That plays a huge role ... where you say "oh, remember the good old Nintendo days", I say "ha, the C64 days" or "wow, the times of the first Lucas Arts adventures on PC". It's your own personal history, your memories.

11. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

It's funny because not too long ago, the sketchy mall in town would periodically have a kiosk that sold units that were the NES equivalent. IIRC, they were $40 and I heard that they didn't last long before crapping-out. There's also a Sega Genesis with preloaded games that you can get on Amazon cheap, too. It's kind of like Nintendo was trying to get in on the market, because if you think of it, a standalone unit with no network capability, storage, cartridge slot, or expandability makes little sense otherwise.

12. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Aha ... that sounds, as if the Mini NES is some kind of anti piracy unit.

13. bostjan

Sad thing is, though, I bet there are a few games the shady NES clone has preloaded that the mini NES does not and vice versa, meaning that they won't really compete with each other.

14. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Holy crap if we all just say we hate it and won't buy it will Aymara calm down already...

15. vilk

vilk Very Regular

https://www.amazon.com/Sega-Genesis...8&qid=1469020477&sr=8-2&keywords=sega+genesis

Holy crud, dude. This thing is cheaper and has better selection, two wireless controllers and a power cord. If only it came with Maximum Carnage...

edit: And it takes cartridges. So I could play Maximum Carnage if I had it.

16. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

17. bostjan

What about Draughts? That game is pretty retro, yet still popular today.

18. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yeah, Pokemon Go was not what I was expecting.

19. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Unsurprisingly, the release yesterday went swimmingly for Nintendo. An- I can imagine- intentional scarcity led to quick sellouts at stores, a Ticketmaster-like vaporsale on Amazon, crazy resale prices on eBay, and gobs & gobs of hype.

I don't want/need one for myself, but I wanted to get one for my brother-in-law for XMas. He is impossible to shop for and this is the only thing he seems excited about- this better not be a Tickle Me Elmo situation (I doubt it will be).

20. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Saw an article that a third party made a wireless controller. That's clutch! I'm waiting to see how it'll work with the system from reviews first.