Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by StevenC, Jul 14, 2016.

1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Bloody_Inferno and HUGH JAYNUS like this.
  2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

making controllers with cords in 2016?
    I mean, I get that they are aiming for nostalgia
    but I'm fairly certain that no one is nostalgic for tangled up controller cords.

3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The first console Nintendo has put out in a while that I can see myself buying any time soon. :lol: Would be nice if there was any sort of details about adding games to it afterwards, cause the idea of being stuck to the included ones is kinda lame. They could have just as easily made something that plays actual NES cartridges, and I'm sure it would sell.

4. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

What a piece of junk ... sorry.

5. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Because why bother just releasing the games for all platforms... don't get me wrong, I love re-playing some of my childhood favourites (although I never owned any console, PC all the way :D ), but I don't see the point in apparently restricting the new versions of those games to this one specific, new piece of hardware. I know, they want to sell the "new" NES, but why bother developing it in the first place if it isn't even any kind of next-gen console instead of, I don't know, USB-NES controllers and then just sell the games +controllers for Wii, PC, smartphones etc instead of this thing?

6. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

As if these games haven't been released on Wii and DS enough. How many times will they sell the same games?

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ As someone who doesn't have a Wii or DS, I'm appreciative of a way to play those games again. :shrug: They'll keep selling those games for as long as we'll keep buying 'em.

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

List of games:
    Balloon Fight
    BUBBLE BOBBLE
    Castlevania™
    Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
    Donkey Kong
    Donkey Kong Jr.
    DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
    Dr. Mario
    Excitebike
    FINAL FANTASY®
    Galaga™
    GHOSTS‘N GOBLINS™
    GRADIUS™
    Ice Climber
    Kid Icarus
    Kirby’s Adventure
    Mario Bros.
    MEGA MAN™ 2
    Metroid
    NINJA GAIDEN®
    PAC-MAN™
    Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
    StarTropics
    SUPER C™
    Super Mario Bros.
    Super Mario Bros. 2
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Tecmo Bowl™
    The Legend of Zelda
    Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Sounds okay to me. Those are mostly games I would replay for the umteenth time, especially Star Tropics (which, however, you'd have to look up some of the puzzles online, unless they modify them, since the game heavily relied on using the game manual)...but why bother including Double Dragon II, if they don't include Double Dragon? Super C and no Contra?!

And, what others have said, everybody has their favourites, why not have a way to download your old favourite (for me, Dragon Warrior III, Crystalis [which was actually SNK, so I don't know if they could do it], Faxanadu...)?

IDK, I might get this if it's affordable enough.

9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Nintendo already sells these games on Wii, Wii U and 3DS. They'll never put their games on PC as long as they make hardware. They're also going to sell these controllers separately so you can play a NES game with a NES controller on your Wii or Wii U.

I imagine they're capitalising partially on the success of Pokemon Go and the nostalgia it has brought.

By the way, it's $60.

10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

:noway:

I was thinking $30-40, and that it'd include the second controller...

I've seen Atari consoles at the dollar store that include the second controller and cost $19. The technology of the NES is not that much ahead of the Atari 2600, really, not to justify >3x the price.

11. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

You know. I'd much prefer a pc based emulator of older Nintendo consoles and then remake each controller for USB. Would be a far better system for reissues.

I still feel that Nintendo should focus on the games rather than hardware.

12. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

I'm all over this to play these games with my kids (who are 7 & 3). This is perfect for them! But....would be nice to know about adding more games and wireless controllers...

13. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Not long ago I said the same, but Nintendo is mainly for kids, right?

And I guess parents prefer cheap kid's hardware instead of kids using dad's PC ;)

But this new retro console is pure nonsense, because most kids already have a Nintendo DS, right?

PS: I guess the target group here are adults, that want to deep dive into their kid's memories on the cheap, like it was with the C64-Joystick combo, that was released around 10 years ago.

14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Not sure if sarcasm. Lots of adults use Nintendo products.

I see this as sort of targeting people who aren't necessarily modern Nintendo fans, but who used to have an NES. I don't imagine it would be hard to find people who used to play on consoles like that, but haven't been buying into newer Nintendo stuff- and I'm one of those people. All the criticism is valid- I agree there'd be much more value if you could add games, or if it could read the original carts, or wireless controllers, etc., but I can see a market for this product anyway. I'd buy it. :lol: I can also see this appealing to parents who don't want to buy their kids a "real console" but can still share the whole nostalgic thing with them for almost-cheap.

15. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Nah, Nintendo is for people who like games. Using colours other than grey and red doesn't mean the games are for kids.

Come to think of it, as an adult, the last PC game I played that gave me the same kind of enjoyment as a Nintendo game was Undertale. And that game is an homage to Mother/Earthbound.

16. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

No this time it's not sarcasm, it's Nintendo themselve who name kids as their main target audience / customer.

Being myself a gamer for decades I always saw kids playing DS, girls play Wii and boys and adults on PS and XBox or PC. For sure there are exeptions to this rule.

I myself bought the WiiU on release, because i was fascinated by ZombiU and the new controller concept, but in the long run I was disappointed. The adults I became to know in the Miiverse were people who had a Nintendo console as kids.

And this seems to be the target group of this new mini console, adults who want to play their kid aera games again.

17. abeigor

abeigor SS.org Regular

:woot:
    Saw this today and am legit excited about it. I can't stand the next-gen consoles...PS4, XBOX1, all meh. I can see why people who game a lot really like them, but I don't game a lot. I want to be in and out of a game in 15 minutes because I have other .... to do.
    Nintendo speaks to me.

18. Pav

Pav ???

Sounds like a free emulator on a PC would best for you then. Completely free, more flexible than this pseudo-NES and with access to virtually every game ever made for the system.

I may have some interest in this if they give any indication that more than the base 30 games will be available somehow. I would love to replay Metroid, FF1 and StarTropics, but why the hell should I spend any money on this when there are countless ways of obtaining all of these games for free through an emulator?

Also, this kinda irks me:
    "*Note that an AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging."
    I know almost everyone has one in the current age of smartphones but still, that's a stupid corner to cut.

19. abeigor

abeigor SS.org Regular

I have (somewhere) every Street Fighter arcade game and an emulator...I wonder what the heck I did with that drive.

20. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I'm assuming you have a pc or a smart phone, both of which can play the older games quite handily. (phones sorta suck since there's no actual buttons though.)

This product just stinks of those cheesy old atari "30 in one" things you'd hook up to your TV through the RCA jack and get 20 minutes of fun before the thing goes into the closet to collect dust. If they open up the catalogue, then maybe it'll be worth it. Otherwise, it just seems more user-friendly to buy a controller and DL a .... ton of roms from wherever.

$60 for like 6 sorta decent games doesn't help. More Mega Man would help for sure. Most of it is just throw away blandness though.

To each their own, but I'm also in the boat that thinks they've been milking this cash cow for far too long. To each their own though, and cool on you if you buy it and enjoy it. I certainly won't rag on anyone for that, but this is far from the only decent option to play these games.