Ninja Gaiden for Xbox

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Mind Riot, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Vince

Vince Contributor

Mind Riot, this is a video tribute some kid did to Ninja Gaiden.

http://www.fileplanet.com/140955/140000/fileinfo/Ninja-Gaiden-Tribute-

It's an 83 meg video that shows the entire game within a 5 minute clip. For anyone who hasn't played the game, it's a good vid to watch as it really shows how great an action game this is.

Be forewarned, though, this is ripe with spoilers, so if you don't want to know how the story progresses or what bosses you'll have to fight next, don't download it.

2. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Devoted seven stringer Contributor

I'll take a look at that sometime, but I only have dial up, so it'll take forever.

I FINALLY beat the helicopter. Man, with no elixirs that is a real pain in the ass. I was getting discouraged, thinking I'd have to start all over. That's one thing I don't care for about the game. If you save at the wrong spot with no elixirs, and you can't beat the next section or boss, you can't replay the level. You have to either get it absolutely perfect or start over from the beginning. So if you're low on health and have no elixirs and save at the wrong spot, unless you want to play the game a LOT to get good enough at it, you're screwed, which kind of sucks.

I got to the Aquaduct level, spent one really boring half hour getting the max essence to spend TWICE, upgraded all my current weapons as far as they can go and stocked up on elixirs.

The Unlabored Flawlessness is cool, but I was expecting something different. It may be powerful, but it's really slow. Personally, I prefer the totally maxed out Dabilahro to it.

The Vigoorian Flail is really fun for combos on some of these guys. Hey, I was wondering, do you get anything besides more essence for higher combos? I got two fifty hit combos and then a hundred hit one against those guys, and it flashed on the screen really fast, I was wondering if it meant anything other than an ego stroking.

One other thing that I thought could have been a bit better was if they gave you more incentive to use the different weapons, like a level where you have to or you'll get slaughtered. But the Dragon Sword is totally effective in every situation, and it makes the others seem just a tad gimmcky to me. They certainly are fun and great looking, but if you get right down to it, you never NEED anything but the trusty Dragon Sword. Nitpicky gripes given the overall fun and quality of the game, but it did occur to me.

3. Vince

Vince Contributor

BS. You can ALWAYS double back. In fact, from the Helicopter, if you run out of elixirs, think about it, you can double back all the way to Muramasa's shop in town.

The game always allows this. In fact at the end of the game, after a few of the boss battles, you basically have to double back from the palace to the town to buy more stuff, it's almost mandatory.

Think Grand Theft Auto. The entire town is open to you. You can take a walk over to the Monastery any time. Han's Bar, Muramasa's, even Twin Serpent Plaza.

YOU CAN ALWAYS DOUBLE BACK.
    YOU CAN ALWAYS DOUBLE BACK.

:lol:

4. Vince

Vince Contributor

Jump first. :D

It's really fast then! Jump and hit the X a few times in the air. The weapon, once mastered, is the best in the game.

5. Vince

Vince Contributor

Each weapon has it's strengths & weaknesses. The flails are awesome against the sewer opponents, red oversized mosquito things, and the zombies. The sword is a great weapon, but sometimes the flail speed is just required. When you get later in to the game and you're fighting the LARGE opponents (when a room fills with the red dragons or the spiked-skinned firebreathers), you'll want to switch to the upgraded Dihabrlo or the Unlabored Flawlessness because of their combination of speed and power. Sometimes it's the only way to beat some of the larger enemies without getting killed. Remember, you're only about halfway to 2/3rds through the game. The last few chapters are really really long and challenging.

The other thing about the Unlabored Flawlessness... the more injured you are, the stronger it becomes. When your health is below 1/4th, the lettering on the side of the weapon glows brightly and the weapon is nearly unstoppable and extremely powerful. Use that in your strategy against some of the bigger opponents (like the ice cave boss).

The Dihabrlo's ultimate attack is the weakest of all the weapons, while the UF has an ultimate attack that looks like a nuclear blast and kills EVERYTHING.

6. Mind Riot

I agree that that's true with almost all of the game, but at this spot at the helicopter, it wasn't. Even after I beat the tanks, the door back to the locomotive turntable was locked, and that was the only way out. There was nowhere to go, no elixirs, if I went back down the elevator there was only the open area where I fought the tanks with the arrow crates and that was it.

7. Vince

Vince Contributor

wow, I didn't realize that. You're a hell of a gamer if you beat the helicopter in that condition then!

8. Mind Riot

Not really, it took me about fifty freakin' tries and totally memorizing the helicopters movements to get it. Not to mention taking your advice and using some Ninpo goodness.

Ah, what the hell, thanks for the compliment. *flex*

So you don't know about the combos? I tried looking for some info and couldn't find anything. I'm just wondering if getting higher combos gets you anything more than higher essence. I got a couple fifties and a hundred on the aquaduct mutants with the Flail. I was thinking it might get you a better end of level ranking, but after I beat the aquaduct level I only got "ninja dog". Guess I had to try too many times to beat the two electric worms. :lol:

9. Mind Riot

*cracks knuckles and whips out the Dabilahro*

BRING IT OOOOONNNNNNN!!!!!! :evil:

10. Vince

Vince Contributor

So, where you at now?

11. Mind Riot

The Core level. I had a bit of trouble with Ghost Doku, but I got him the second try. I got through all the levels of offering the deities, and I'm at the top of the pyramid. I got through that long ass challenge with all the fiends, and the tentacle creature, and the snow ape thing revisited, but then when I faced the demon himself I was out of elixirs and he beat me. I'll have to go at it again, see if I can make it through with some elixirs on hand. I hate those big red/black fiends with the lazer eyes, they're a pain.

I still like the Dabilahro more than the Unlabored Flawlessness, though. ;) It's got some neat combos, and maybe it's just that awesome sound it makes when you hit something with it.

I think I missed a couple scarabs along the way, darn it. I was looking forward to unlocking the original game. I have about 43 or maybe 45 now, maybe the last five are in the last level, but they sure seem to be pretty scarce now.

12. Vince

Vince Contributor

There are no scarabs in the last level. Check out Gamefaqs.com for a rundown on where all the scarabs are.

The demon at the end, which one? :D Are you fighting the Emperor or the one who protects the emperor?

You fall down into the field of flowers, then you see the "one that protects the Emperor" appear with the Dark Dragon Blade over his head. That guy, or have you beaten him yet?

Or is it the big green guy with wings that controls the demon realm? In which case, you still have a few fights left. It's one boss after another from here out.

You still have aways to go, but your hardest battles are behind you. Those undead fish are really really annoying, but they leave all kinds of essence. Use the flails and the ninpo that surrounds you in flames to beat them quickly. You won't waste any ninpo, because they almost always drop a red essence or two.

Fun stuff. Make sure to save your game right after you beat it to save your successive play. The last fight in the game is ironic and really quite fun. The last level, however is a royal bitch.

Oh, and if you like the big weapons like the Dihabrlo and the UF, beat the game, then run through it again, and when you hit chapter 13 on successive play, the Dark Dragon Blade will be there for you, and it's as fast as the Dihabrlo and as heavy hitting as the UF.

13. Mind Riot

Yeah, I meant the green winged guy who controls the underworld. I beat him since my last post. But I'm waiting to offer up the demon thing and go into the last level. I'm going to see if I can find the scarabs I missed. So far I've found two, for a total of 46, so I'm only missing four. I just hope they're somewhere where I can still get to them.

Yeah, I heard a lot about how annoying those ghost fish are, but I read up on how to beat them in advance so they aren't too bad. I've gone up and down the whole tower with the four challenge rooms and all the ghost fish a few times to get some essence and pick up some elixirs. Now I'm just roaming the city, trying to find the last four scarabs. I think I'll copy an FAQ onto my computer and just go through looking for them all. I don't really want to have to go through the whole game again trying to find the last four.

I heard that once you enter the last level, there's no more Muramasa statues and save points, so I'm going to make sure I go in completely loaded; elixirs, Ninpo, Talismans of Rebirth, the works.

14. Vince

Vince Contributor

If you want easy essence, head back to the cave behind the waterfall. In the drop-down room, there will be 3-4 waves of bats. Back up to the waterfall and go back into the room again. 3000-4000 Essence every time you enter the room.

Store up on elixers now, because you have 3 bosses in a row to beat, and all are fairly hard. Make sure you have TONS of magic elixers, as many as you can carry.

15. Mind Riot

All right, now I'm mad. :mad:

I read some FAQ's on finding the scarabs and I realized that one of them that I missed is in the military base, and it seems that once you're done with that level you can't get back in. You go in through the gate, which is locked now and the armored shutter is back in place covering the switch. And you get out through the train wreck. Now I have to play the whole game again to get that one scarab. Grrrrrrrrr.

And the other one, I don't know where it is. (I found fourty eight, so I'm missing two. One's in the military base, and I'm not sure where the other is.) I thought it might be in the stadium where you first fight Doku, so I head back there. I get attacked by the dinosaur looking fiends. They just keep coming, so I figure it's a challenge, and I'll get a Lives of the Thousand God's or something. So I fight them and kill about sixty of them, takes about a half hour. Then a chest pops up above the stadium. I think no prob, because that's where I was going to look for a possible scarab anyway.

But then I realize that the moving platforms in the stadium have been moved since I was last there to places where I can't get up on top of the stadium, and none of the switches work anymore! WTF?!?!?!?

Forget the scarab, how am I supposed to get up there to get the reward after the challenge if they move the platforms out of reach and turn off the switches after I leave the first time? Why would they even put a challenge there if they make it so you can't get to the reward?

16. Vince

Vince Contributor

That's strange, they should move in the same way as before. If you haven't moved them since your last visit, they should be fine. They should still all be fully-operational. It's odd if that's not the case! I do believe it's either a life of the thousand gods or it's a jewel of the demon seal. One or the other. I've gotten it before. That's the hardest 50-fiend challenge in the game.

BTW, going through the game a second time is actually quite fun. You'll be suprised how good you are at it as you effortlessly thrash through the early levels. It's really fun because you have the armlet of tranquility as of the 2nd level, and you almost never have to burn an elixir.

17. Mind Riot

I'm actually looking forward to going through it again, but I was really hoping to unlock the original games my first time through. Plus it kind of sucks to kill 50 dinosaur fiends and get nothing for it.

I hope it was just a glitch or something, maybe when I go back it'll work. But I didn't move any of the platforms since I left last time, this was the first time I came back since I originally fought Doku.

I'm not getting an interact prompt or nothing.

18. Mind Riot

Okay, despite the fact that the platforms still don't work, I managed to just BARELY make it onto one of them to get to the top. The Kitetsu has a double aerial attack that carries you just a bit further forward than the Dragon Sword's version, so at the end of my jump I used it and just made it, after twenty tries or so. Got the reward (Lives of Thousand Gods) but no Scarab.

So I went on to beat the game. The two Vigoor Emporers were a bit tricky, especially the second one, but Murai was such a pushover that I was half expecting another plot twist with the REAL end boss. Wierd.

Out of all the bosses, I personally have the most trouble with the two electric worms (not one, one is easy), the helicopter, and the lord of the underworld. I hear a lot about people having trouble with Alma, but I started going through again on successive play and I beat her without using one Elixir. Actually, with the Armlet of Tranquility I didn't use an elixir at all in my second time through the game until the two electric worms.

The two scarabs I missed that I couldn't get back to were the one in the Military Base warehouse, ON TOP of the room where you get the shutter key (never thought to look up there) and the one in the Captains Quarters on the Airship. How could I miss such an obvious one, you say? Well, the answer is, I didn't. I got it then died at some point and forgot to get it again before I saved my game and beat the level (forehead slap).

But now I'm on Chapter 12 on my second time through, and have the original Ninja Gaiden and NG2, but I have to go back to the Peristyle Passage for NG3 still. I've used about five or six elixirs thus far in the entire game. Man, the armlet of tranquility is sweet. :D

Thanks for your advice, Vince. The game really is awesome, and I can see how far I've come when I have my friends over and they play it and can't get past the first level without help from me. :D

19. Vince

Vince Contributor

Dude! You beat the game and you're already another 10 hours into it? You sound like me now, you addict :lol:

I agree, the two electric eel bosses together are insanely hard. What I do when there's just the one is constantly wall run and flying sparrow off the wall (y slashing attack), when there's two of them, or the lava one, it's a bit harder as I have to take out the arrows and ping 'em down with arrows.

The hardest bosses for me were always the first two. The others are almost all pushovers if you have your elixirs and know their weaknesses.

Dude, when you revisit the village in the rain in chap 13 (I think it's 13), on the top floor of the building you have to go in, there will be the dark dragon blade waiting. It's a fun weapon to use in the later levels of the game.

Fun game.

20. Vince

Vince Contributor

heheh, we should nickname him Timmy since he doesn't really have a name :D

:south park: