Ninja Gaiden for Xbox

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Mind Riot, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Mind Riot

Mind Riot Devoted seven stringer Contributor

Just picked it up last night. One of the best looking games I've ever seen, that's for sure. The combat system is amazing and fast, when you pull off a nice move or combo it's really satisfying.

Sure is hard as heck though, definitely a steep learning curve in this game. If you don't pay attention and learn fast you get slaughtered, even on the first couple of levels. Took me about five tries to beat the first boss, seven for the second boss, and ten or so for the third, that fat chromed peice of crap. But I know it'll get harder. I beat the fourth level, Tairon, and I'm at the drawbridge in the City Of Fiends level now.

Obviously Vince has played it (now I know where you got your avatar :idea: ), but has anyone else? It's pretty cool, and a good challenge. I don't like that much gore myself, I don't think it's really necessary or cool to have everybody just explode into blood when they die, but I know I'm probably in the minority.

I only got an Xbox about a month ago, been digging some Halo action until I got this last night. I'm going through Halo on Legendary, man that'll kick your butt.

Anybody else dig these games? I also got Halo 2, but I'm holding off on playing it too much until I get really good at Halo 1.

2. Vince

Vince Contributor

Greatest game ever.

Beat the first two bosses then the real game begins. They are the hardest in the game.

By the time you hit about level 4, you're an incredible badass in that game.

The learning curve in Ninja Gaiden is similiar to Neo in the first Matrix. What I mean is that he knew he was fast, but his enemies seems overpowering. When it finally clicked for him, he was unstoppable.

Ninja Gaiden is the same. Once you "get it", which may take months of playing it, you're character will be unbelieveable. You enter a room, 6 or 7 demons rush you and 10 seconds later they're evaporating in pools of their own blood.

Nothing beats that, my friend. Awesome fucking game.

3. Mind Riot

I heard that some of the earlier bosses are harder than some of the later ones. I wonder why they'd design it like that.

Like Neo, eh?

"Okey dokey. Free my mind, right."

I'm on level five right now, and I definitely wouldn't consider myself to be a badass by far, but I'm learning fast. It's definitely involving.

4. Vince

Vince Contributor

you're almost to the monastery then, right? Some cool levels coming up for ya. The boss you'll face on the second time through the monastery is absolutely insane. It won't be the last time you fight her either. Great stuff.

5. Mind Riot

Yep, in between my last post and this one, I finished level five and started the monastery. The fiends and the end boss were way easier than Muria and the Samurai Horseman. Two tries for the fiends, got the tentacled thing on the first shot.

Although getting there was another story. I went from the last save point right after the drawbridge, and got my ass handed to me several times by either the three red ninjas there or the four of them later. Man, four instead of three really makes a difference. I finally got them, and as cool as it was to beat them, I wish I could have done some more straight combos that I could see. The only way I could beat them was to always be jumping off them and such. But when I finally did beat them, I only got hit once in two groups of four. :eek:

But somehow I got the language switched to Japanese with no subtitles, so I have no idea what the blonde with the ludicrously enormous breasts, Ryu, and the blue haired lady were saying at the end of the level. I'll have to go see if I can find a game script. :scratch:

6. Vince

Vince Contributor

Change the language in the options menu back to english :D

Oh, and an easy way to beat those 4 dark ninjas.... there's an alley with narrow walls right there. Get in the alley and bird flip up high and come crashing down with a grand circada slash (the wall jump move where you turn blue and kill all objects on the ground). Other than that, you can fight on the ground, but always be moving, their incendiary shurikens are a pain if you get hit. Upgrade the sword to level 2, if you haven't already, that'll grant you the flying sparrow attack, which is absolutely choice.

The Inazuma drop is the greatest move in the game. I can't remember how you unlock it, maybe you buy it, but I know you get it from that guy in the shop. get next to a bad guy, XY -- then you're up in the air -- XXXY --- three slashes with the sword and that Y button push should start a spinning pile driver that kills him and injures anyone nearby.

The tentacle boss is the easiest boss in the game. Next, you'll fight the bone dragon in the underlevels. He's not too hard, but the level is incredibly long (lots of fights). The fight with Alma will be your first real challenge. Make sure you have all the magic you can get before fighting her. Double back sometimes in certain rooms later in the game too, there's extra items in there each time you enter. For instance, after you complete the sublevels under the monastery, go back into the library room. You'll have what's called a "50-fiend fight". Take down all 50 that attack you in succession and you'll be awarded something valuable, usually a life of the thousand gods, extra ninpo slot, or stronger ninpo. There's a lot of these rooms in the game, and two of them in the Monastery alone. The elevator room in the Monastery, you can go back in 3 different times throughout the game and get different items from the combination-locked safe in the room each time.

[/nerd] :D

7. Vince

Vince Contributor

The story is not that complex :D No need for a game script....

Ryu: I'm gonna kill bad guy.
    Babe: You can't kill bad guy. But if you want to, path to bad guy under monastery. I like to fly.
    Blue haired girl: blah-blah-blah fiends blah-blah blood blah-blah. :blahblah:
    Ryu: I'm gonna kill bad guy.

Then Ryu walks off.

8. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Just so we have a visual
    This Ninja Chick with Ginormous Boobs.
    [​IMG]

Not to be confused with the original Ninja Chick with Ginormous boobs:
    [​IMG]

9. FoxMustang

FoxMustang SS.org Regular

Haven't played Ninja Gaiden, but I need to find it used/on sale somewhere. Ninjas are fucking true :scream:

10. Mind Riot

Okay, now I'm on the military base level. I went through the platform jumping craziness in the warehouse then got killed by the tank, so I have to do it all again. :mad:

Say, how do you get that scarab on the railroad car in the warehouse?

I didn't know about the fifty fiend thing in that room, I'll have to try that again sometime. I just jumped down into the middle of the room and fought Alma.

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind. I assume from the way things are going now that you have to beat the game before you can replay any of the levels, which seems logical so you can't overly beef up your character by playing one level over and over. But once you do beat it, can you play through again with your massively studly buff Ryu?

I know from some stuff I've read that it takes fifty scarabs delivered to Muramasa to unlock the original NES game, then there's a few steps to unlock the other two. But you don't have to save all your scarabs up to fifty to do that, do you? As in, if I give him fifteen of them, it's not like I spent those fifteen and in order to unlock the original game I have to find fifty more, right?

11. Vince

Vince Contributor

Get next to the rail car on the right side, wall run up it, then at the top of the wall run, hit the Y button. You'll downward stab and land right on top of the rail car.

12. Vince

Vince Contributor

You constantly collect scarabs and give them to Muramasa. There's only 50 in the game, and he keeps track for you. If you give him 20, you've now collected 20 in the game. You want to give them to him as fast as you can, because when you hit certain numbers of scarabs, you get certain items. Namely, the Dihablro sword (which is an incredibly fast & heavy upgradeable sword) and the armlet of tranquility. The Armlet of Tranquility is one of the best items in the game, and I think you have to have 40 or 45 scarabs to get it. It recharges your health for you slowly, but constantly. If used correctly, you'll only have to burn elixers in the boss fights.

The hardest scarabs to find/collect are the one on top of the incomplete pole in the Peristyle Passage, and the scarab you have to wall walk to find above the Muramasa statue (you wall walk from the high doorway that led to the Strong Bow).

Also, you had asked about doubling back with a more powerful character. There's no stage select in the game, but you will see the same areas of the game over and over again, as the rest of the game takes place in and around that town you're in. The way the game overcomes your increasingly powerful character is by making the enemies in each area increasingly powerful. When you first entered the town, there were weak military guards with shock sticks and a few guns. Now that you're in the Military Supply base level, you're seeing more advanced infantry with armor, machine guns, and rocket launchers. The next time you roll through that town, those humans will have been demonized and you'll have to fight much much more powerful and sadistic enemies that do much more damage.

Bottom line, the difficulty of the game always keeps you in check.

Your next level after the military supply base is the hardest level in the game. The Aqueduct is fucking insane. Three boss battles, each one much much harder than the one before it. It's also the largest and longest level in the game.

There's 1 trick to Ninja Gaiden. You can get all of the items in the game in the beginning of the Aqueduct level. How? The bat trick.

When you first enter the Aqueduct level (after the train explosion), you'll drop down into a sewer. In that first room of the sewer is a ton of bats. Throw two ninja stars into the room, killing at least two bats. Charge up a Y-attack with either the sword or flails, absorb the two essence orbs from those two bats, and release the Y button, unloading an ultimate attack killing all the bats. When you do this, you'll receive much larger essence orbs, containing more essence. Usually 1 entry into the room will yield over 1000 essence points. Climb the ladder to exit the room, then drop back down into the room, and there the bats are again. Rinse, repeat. Give it 10 minutes and you'll have 60,000-80,000 essence points. Go buy stuff :D

Also, get the wooden sword and begin upgrading it. It has 7 levels of upgrades, and takes roughly 120,000 essence to fully upgrade. You won't see an increase in it's power until the 7th upgrade, but when you do upgrade it for the 7th time, you'll be glad you did. Best weapon ever.

13. Vince

Vince Contributor

hehe, you'll love what you have to face when you beat the tank. It's like the Family Guy pilot episode.

Peter: "Aw great! What'd I win?!"

Quagmire: "Another beer!"

:D

A trick with the tank... knock out the guy on the top of the tank first, then bludgeon the side of the tank with arrows. There's boxes of both arrows on either side of the area there. If the tank's about to run you over, hit a ninpo. You probably won't do any damage, but you'll be invincible while the magic is taking place, and if you're using a projectile ninpo like the fireball, you just might take out the guy on the top of the tank.

14. Mind Riot

Awesome, I can't wait to try that. [EDIT: You're too fast with your lightning posts, I was talking about the bat trick.]

BUT, I have to point out, you didn't answer one of my questions. Can you replay through the game with your beefed up Ryu once you've beaten it?

I'll try for that scarab near the strong bow, but what's the other one? Is that on a level I haven't gotten to yet?

15. Mind Riot

Speaking of Family Guy, the new episode last Sunday had this one joke that really killed me for some odd reason. Brian is talking to the camera on the reality show and he's holding this drink with an umbrella.

"I have to say I was really impressed. There was a fully stocked bar, and the bartender really knew his stuff. Look, he made me a Mohito."

*SIP*

"I-I don't think it's a gay drink."

"Mo-heet-toe."

16. Vince

Vince Contributor

Yeah, you'll know when you hit the peristyle passage because it'll pop the name if it up in the middle of your screen. It's a tall but narrow vatican style hall with a marble floor, pillars on either side and a statue at the end. One of the pillars doesn't hit the ceiling. Guess what's up there :D Also, in that room is another 50-fiend fight. Kill all the baddies in the room before continuing and you'll get a prize.

As for replaying the game with a badass ninja, the answer is yes and no. Once you beat the game, you can continue on in "successive play". That means you start the game as weak as before, but the computer knows you've completed the game, and you keep your scarab count. This is especially great if you finish the game but only have found 45 or 46 scarabs or so. You can go back through the game again and the only scarabs that will be there will be the ones you missed the first time. The first time you hit Muramasa's shop (in the 2nd level just before the guys on horse back), you'll get all your awards from the previous game's scarab collection, sans the Dihabilro. You'll get that later in the game. It's freaking sweet running through the early levels of the game with the armlet of tranquility. You're basically unstoppable.

Oh, and about the lightning posts, it's my day off :lol:

17. Mind Riot

Ah, I see. That makes sense, sounds like fun and really enhances the replay value. You can tell a lot of development and thought went into this game. I hear it was years and years in development.

18. Vince

Vince Contributor

yeah, I can't find an action game that even comes close. About the only games that I enjoy as much are the PC versions of the Jedi Knight games, that's about it.

19. Mind Riot

How the hell do you beat the helicopter? I can't seem to dodge the missiles, and I don't have any health elixirs after the tanks.

20. Vince

Vince Contributor

If you don't have any elixirs, it's gonna be tough. The missiles are tough to dodge, but you can do it. If it's too hard to dodge, use ninpo when they come close, as you'll be invulnerable during the magic.

Be precise. It's only about 10-15 shots needed to take the helicopter down. There's a save point nearby, and right after the helicopter is a Muramasa shop.