NHL 2015-2016: Expansion! 3 on 3 OT! Coaches Challenge!

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Sofos, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

Is Price going to get injured next season?

Are the Habs going to be a team with more than just a world class goalie?

2. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

You're all going to chase away MFB from this thread forever :lol:

3. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

4. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

damn i missed it here lol. no pc for 6 months and the mobile site isnt very wieldy (read: there is none).

f the Pens, but good for Murray and Phil the Thrill. Either deserved the Smythe more than Sidney "0g 3p -2 in Finals" Crosby. rigged.

5. technomancer

The panel of 18 journalists that votes on the award disagreed with you :lol:

Crosby barely edged Kessel for Conn Smythe

That said analysts also picked the Sharks to win the Cup 15-2 out of 17 commenting so obviously those guys don't know much :rofl:

6. Pav

Pav ???

I was pulling for Phil Kessel but I have no problem with Crosby winning. Even though he was outscored by Kessel he was a major threat everytime he was on the ice, he laid out the GWG in game 2 on his own and dominated in the faceoff circle so hard he had Logan Couture whining to the media.

7. technomancer

Just got the text from the NHL, Las Vegas has been approved as the NHLs 31st team and will begin playing 2017-2018... buckle up for the expansion draft :lol:

EDIT: also whole lot of salt in the Facebook posts about it... seriously, Las Vegas presold 14k season ticket packages, why would they NOT put a team there :lol:

8. Pav

Pav ???

I'm excited. I first started to seriously follow the NHL about 9 years ago, so this will be my first expansion experience. People don't seem too crazy about a team in Vegas but I agree with you. The necessary money and commitments are there and I get the feeling people have this predetermined idea that Vegas cannot and will not work...even though Bill Foley and co. have already ponied up more than enough to make it work. The expansion fee these days is insane compared to what it was when Columbus and Minnesota joined the league around 2000, so Foley already seems as capable (and as wealthy) an owner as any others in the NHL.

9. technomancer

Yeah at the end of the day Vegas did more legwork than anybody else looking to bring in a team so they got it.

Also looks like the players in their first or second year pro are exempt from the expansion draft, so I'm curious to know how they're counting and as of when as that may solve the protecting Fleury or Murray problem for the Pens.

Also looks like Rutherford won GM of the year

10. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

I was skeptical of Vegas for a long time, but I think it would work. I'm more worried about city/team culture/spirit than the finances. I can't help but worry that it will be business execs passing out their seasons tickets as gifts for clients/shareholders.

As for Quebec, I'm sure they will keep trying to get a team and will probably get one next, in another couple of years.

11. technomancer

Yeah from what was said it sounds like the only reason Quebec didn't get one now is they don't want to bring in two new teams in the same year and the finances were stronger for Vegas.

12. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I think the biggest worry for Vegas would be generating enough of a fan base with tourists. We've seen how hockey in the desert can go (here's to you Coyotes) and imagine them with people who don't live there year round.

I don't doubt theyll sell a good amount of tickets to tourists just for the novelty of seeing them, but I do think it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

13. technomancer

I keep hearing that about Vegas, but last I looked it was one of the fastest growing metro areas in the US because people were moving there :2c: It is a big freaking city with a lot of permanent residents :lol:

14. Pav

Pav ???

I have read a couple things that could be valid sticking points for a Vegas team in securing a loyal fanbase. T-Mobile Arena is right on the strip, in the heart of Las Vegas cliches. Apparently this could make it pretty inconvenient for permanent LV residents, who may live on the outskirts of town, to penetrate the tourist mobs and actually get to the games. The strip is also an area that residents prefer to avoid for obvious reasons. This could turn out to be speculative BS but it does seem reasonable to assume that the arena may be full of corporate tickets and fans of opposing teams, at least for the first few years.

15. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Looking over the rules for Vegas' player acquisition, looks like a serious B team. I wonder who the first star player the organization would sign or trade for?

Just read that Habs are having a short notice press conference any minute now; the only thing I can imagine is that they traded Subban. Even if they get Stamkos or some other star player, I will be super pissed.

16. Pav

Pav ???

Did they really call that press conference just so Bergevin could insist they are NOT tryin to trade Subban?

17. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Right?! :spock:

18. technomancer

19. MFB

MFB ExBendable

In other news: water is wet.

20. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

God damn do the oilers need to land Subban