NHL 2015-2016: Expansion! 3 on 3 OT! Coaches Challenge!

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Sofos, Jun 24, 2015.

1. MFB

MFB ExBendable

No ....ing way Buffalo or Edmonton would give up a shot at McDavid or Eichel, so don't even try and claim that "they didn't go for him" It would've gouged us so hard for a kid who'll still take time to get acclimated to the NHL. We're in rebuild mode essentially without actually saying that, and we drafted what we needed. We lost a D man and freed up cap space, we drafted a new one as well as having a dozen or so in our AHL camp; Dougie fell into our laps so the fact that we got as lucky as we did with him is that - luck.

We also lost Soderberg to Colorado and my biggest disappointment with that is that we didn't try to get O'Reilly back as part of it since we turned around to give up a RW. Lucia will fit fine with the Kings and we now have a competent backup with Jones, as well as a Defensive prospect. And guess what, we filled both those wingers spots with our 2nd and 3rd draft picks.

Will it take time to conditon them? Yes. But that's what a rebuild takes. A year or two of mediocrity in the short run for a payoff in the long.

2. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

what i mean by 2 2nds and a 3rd is that 2 of the guys we drafted were predicted 2nd rounders and the other was a 3rd

3. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I wouldn't agree with that at all.

Going into the draft everyone knew the 3 big defense-man were going to be Hanafin (went 5th to Carolina) and Werenski (went 8th to Columbus) along with one other whom I'm blanking on; following that, Zboril wasn't too far behind their trail so it makes sense that he ended up with a team like us that needed defense. Look at his stats with the Sea Dogs, 44 games played in the regular season and he posted 33 pts, that's not bad at all. That's almost the same as Ekblad's postings this season with Florida.

Debrusk is also another one who doesn't seem like a 2nd rounder at all. 81 pts in 72 games, over a pt/game pace. Rick Nash posted a 42 goal season this year and I think he was surrounded by maybe 4 other guys breaking the 40-goal season, so it's not like that's a small feat; and then to nearly match that in assists? I'll certainly consider that first round worthy, especially for a middle of the first round grab. Is he McDavid? No, of course not. But he's gonna be someone we can turn into a top six forward because he's got the talent on his own, but we need to see how he clicks with others.

The 3rd dude, yeah, everything I've seen on him makes it seem like a stretch, but still, I'd say 2 solid first round picks overall from the Bruins and I don't get the extreme hatred Sweeney is immediately getting. We've made some big moves but that's what we need right now since we got so stagnant in our playing.

4. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

Color me wrong on this one. I didn't realize the Bruins picked up his liney Colby Cave a little while back. 35/40/75 in 72 GP.

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Ugh rumors I am seeing are NOT encouraging for the Pens. Gonchar and St. Louis's names have come up. So much for younger and faster.

GM Jrs. comments have been hilarious too... commenting that everybody wants the Pens young defensemen. No kidding, they're the only thing outside of the core the team has of value.

Kessel to Pittsburgh rumors are still floating, but I'm honestly a bit scared by what the cost of that move could be. I'm also not sure the Pens can float a competitive team with another $8 million player in the cap mix. They're struggling now.

6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Looks like Edmonton ended up nabbing Talbot in the end, so either he'll help them get out of a massive franchise slump... OR, his career is going there to die

7. Pav

Pav ???

No chance in hell that happens unless we trade away a huge chunk of salary cap, like Malkin or Letang. That sounds like nothing more than a rumor to me, just like when reports came out a month or so ago that Malkin was unhappy and demanding a trade.

8. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Chris Pronger's contract moving to another franchise is probably the most interesting thing to happen the past few days.

9. technomancer

It's actually been from multiple sources, they're legitimately talking a trade... whether it happens or not is another story.

Simple salary dump, the odds of Pronger ever setting foot on the ice again are pretty slim.

10. protest

protest SS.org Regular

A 3rd round pick for Rinaldo hahahahahahaha.

Holy .... I love the Bruins

11. technomancer

Wow LA terminated Mike Richards contract... I was expecting a buyout, wonder what he did that allowed them to terminate. I've seen rumors he was fond of the coke, so wonder if they busted him with drugs or what.

12. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

yeah i quit. Call me when Sweeney and Neely are gone

13. Pav

Pav ???

I say we sign him. We've been needing a Ryan Malone replacement.

14. technomancer

Phil Kessel is now a Pittsburgh Penguin. Pens lost Kapanen, Harrington, and Spaling in the deal as well as next year's first round and another unspecified draft pick. Leafs retain $1.25 million in salary so he should have a cap hit of $6.75 million.

The Pens desperately need to dump some older overpaid players...

15. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Just what the Pens needed, another large contract.

16. Pav

Pav ???

^ Hey, it's been working for Chicago.

I can't believe that actually happened. I also can't believe Toronto made it so easy. We didn't give up nearly as much as I thought we would. If we can get rid of older guys like Rob Scuderi things could be interesting.

17. MFB

MFB ExBendable

You guys also just lost Martin to SJ, although hasn't he been fairly injury prone? So maybe it's not a huge loss.

18. technomancer

Yeah he went in literally the first hour or so. One of the better defenders on the Pens, but he has been more injury prone lately. It will be interesting seeing what the Pens D looks like next year...

They also lost Chorney, which given how well he played when called up at the end of the season and that he got signed for IIRC $700,000 I found really annoying.

I'm guessing next year will look like

Letang-Maata
    Cole-Pouliot
    Scuderi-Lovejoy

unless they get rid of somebody since Dumoulin didn't really look ready last year. Then again who knows, he could force out somebody else to #7 if he plays well. So basically a decent top 4 with a bottom six that will cost us games on a regular basis :p

19. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

Richards in Detroit makes sense, Green however will be interesting to see if he fits.

20. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I think the Kessel trade was good for both teams.

Kessel is obviously a skilled player but wasn't working with the Leafs. I can imagine him doing well as a 2nd or 3rd liner on the Penguins.

And getting rid of him for any picks was a good move. I am glad to see the Leafs finally start to address rebuilding seriously.