NHL 2014 - 2015

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Sofos, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

Seeing as they officially announced the season schedules today, that closes the books on last season and opens the new one.

NHL Awards on the 24th and Draft on the 27-28th.

Predicitions? Opinions?

2. SonicBlur

SonicBlur SS.org Regular

Hawks are Cup favorites this year, 15/2 odds to win. I hope and pray this prediction comes through!

3. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

I read they were 7/1, along with the Bruins and Kings

Also: Bruins let Chad Johnson go and sign Svedberg to a 1 year, one-way deal for 600k. The Berg era continues (Seidenberg, Soderberg, Svedberg)

4. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Habs resign Markov and Flyers and Blue trade Umberger / Hartnell

Going to say the Pens will probably not win the cup next year since they basically have no coach, no third or fourth lines, and little cap space at this point :lol:

The new thread usually gets created after the NHL awards, but since you created this one, stickied :yesway:

5. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

I've heard rumour they might try moving Neal and/or Malkin for space and depth, what do you think?

6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Seriously? Johnson had some fantastic games and was probably one of the best back-up goal-tenders along with Ben Scrivens (who we all know got the bump up to starter for Edmonton) and Alex Stalock

Edit: HIGHLY doubt the Pens would ditch Malkin, possibly Neal out of the two since he seems to be the more injury prone of the two (if memory is correct) but losing either seems highly unlikely.

7. Braden717

Braden717 SS.org Regular

Malkin isn't going anywhere. He just signed a maximum 8 year deal last year and he has a no trade clause. Him and Crosby are going to be the face of the franchise for awhile. Neal I would love to see stay as he has otherworldly production goal and points wise......when he plays with Geno. He is neutered without him it seems. They have incredible chemistry. However if he can't get his cheap shots under control, as much as I love him, he needs to go.

8. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Malkin for Weber would make sense....hopefully that never happens.

I think I figured out why the Flyers traded Hartnell for what seems like a 4th and an average player on a horrible contract (not that all you Pens fans care lol). Basically Umberger can be bought out in 2 years for a $1.6 mil cap hit in his final year and $1.5 hit the year after. That would save $3 mil in cap space for that final year, which also happens to be when Couturier, Coburn, and the Schenn's all need new deals.

9. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

Bergeron runs away with the NHL Awards with a Hat Trick :D

Selke Award
    NHL Foundation Award
    EA Sports NHL 15 Cover

10. SonicBlur

SonicBlur SS.org Regular

NHL Betting Lines: Stanley Cup Futures | Odds Shark

This is what I read...15/2 Hawks, 8/1 Bruins....either way, these are only odds and honestly don't mean that much at the end of the day. I'm just getting antsy to see some hockey again!

11. Pav

Pav ???

Quite unlikely either are going anywhere. Jim Rutherford recently told the media he was half-expecting both Jussi Jokinen and Matt Niskanen to walk because of our cap situation, which doesn't sound to me like he's aiming to shed any of our high-end salary.

If/when that happens, I will cry. :(

12. technomancer

Rumor is they are looking to move Neal. In the short term the Pens have some major cap problems that need to be dealt with, or people need to accept that it is going to be challenging for the next couple of years until the cap goes up.

So Mike Johnston is the new Pens head coach and they added Rick Tocchet as an assistant. It will be interesting to see how things shape up.

I also think the coach hunt was a nice distraction from the Pens having pretty much no bottom six under contract (IIRC Adams is it currently).

13. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

Boston is the only team that has a chance against any of the west powerhouses - Chicago, LA, SJ... I predict another cup for Chicago.

14. technomancer

I think a lot of that will come down to contracts for Toews and Kane... if they both end up wanting $10 million a year it completely changes the landscape for Chicago :2c:

15. RustInPeace

Toews deserves to be the highest paid player in the NHL because... he IS the best player in the NHL. Those 2 know they can win together, and will probably take discounts to keep the core. 7 mil a year over 8 for both.

16. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

I'll counter your Toews with one Bergeron :cool: 30 goals, 60 points, 2nd best +/-, most faceoff wins, very high defensive stats.

17. Pav

Pav ???

I have to say, though I knew next to nothing about Mike Johnston, he really doesn't sound like a bad choice so far.

18. technomancer

Yeah we'll see. I've seen some comments from people in Portland about the Winterhawks losing the title this year because they couldn't solve a trap and were undisciplined... which sounds way too much like Bylsma. I'll reserve judgement until we see how the team looks after a season with him though.

19. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

Did anyone notice how trashed Cuba Gooding Jr. was last night at the Awards? Completely shitfaced. Doin god's work, son!

20. RustInPeace

Fantasy draft - If you were building a team and had first overall pick, would you take Bergeron over Toews? And taking Crosby is a null argument lol