NHL 2010-2011 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by technomancer, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

2. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

I've never understood this whole "Rioting" mentality.
    It doesn't change or solve anything. :scratch:
    I'm still a little in shock here.
    I can't believe they actually pulled it off and won :eek:

3. AvantGuardian

AvantGuardian Orange Vigilante

Thomas was incredible throughout the series and the Bruins seemed to be the better team, but I'm pretty disappointed in the Canucks last night. Couldn't muster a single goal on home ice in game 7. Luongo played okay, (that third goal was bizarre, can't blame him for not stopping that) and even if he'd played better, you can't win with 0 goals.

4. Mindcrime1204

Mindcrime1204 SS.org Regular

I'm not really a hockey fan, but I'm glad we (US) won. :hbang:

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I always love seeing stuff like this when the "US" team is made up of 90% Canadians, 9% Europeans, and 3 guys from the US :lol:

IIRC Thomas was the only US player that was on the ice in the series for Boston... then again with the way he played maybe that was enough :rofl:

6. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

My thoughts:

Boston earned the win last night, they were the better team on the ice. Congrats to them.

Luongo, for the most part, was just fine. The only time in the series I would say he really choked was game 6. Other than that, it was far more a breakdown of our defense core, who were pretty banged up and missing their best man in Dan Hamhuis. My dad has become one of the people who blame Luongo everytime something goes wrong, I unloaded on him. Injuries also took a toll on our offense, although Kesler looked better tonight than he had all series. I mean, this is our list of injured players:

- Henrik Sedin
    - Ryan Kesler
    - Alex Edler
    - Andrew Alberts
    - Manny Malhotra
    - Mikael Samuelsson
    - Mason Raymond
    - Dan Hamhuis

That's a pretty damn significant list of people. Of course, Boston was able to use this to their advantage, combined with their size. I don't blame them for that, that's fair game. I'll admit, every time Chara used his unbelievable reach to block a pass, it frustrated me, but that's life.

Tim Thomas... what more can be said? He capped off the most incredible regular season with a stellar playoff performance. He was seriously America's answer to Dominik Hasek this year. I hope for Boston's sake he can do it again next year, because that kind of thing usually only happens once in a lifetime.

I'm sad that my team couldn't pull it together, especially on home ice, but I guess there's always next year. We've got some incredible talent developing in guys like Cory Schneider, Chris Tanev, Lee Sweatt and Yann Sauve. Schneider and Tanev will be All-Stars someday, I'm calling it now, and I've been super impressed with both of them this season.

We do need to trade away some of our defensemen in order to clear cap space for next year. Based on what we've seen this year I'd say Christian Ehrhoff and Keith Ballard will be the first ones to go. Despite the fact that he's our highest scoring D-man, Ehrhoff just didn't play particularly good defense during the playoffs. Nor did Ballard, although that was as much the team's fault as it was his, as the one game they played him during the final round, they put him on with Kevin Bieksa, despite the fact that their styles didn't compliment each other at all. Had he gone on with Chris Tanev, I think it would have worked out much better. They're also two of our highest paid D-men, so that will go a long way to keeping our core group, as well as acquisitions like Higgins and Lappy. I'm kinda sad to see Ballard go, as his hip checks are nothing short of legendary, and when paired with a more conservative D-man like Tanev or Hamhuis, he can really shine. Rome or Albert may be on the way out too, and Salo may retire. Thank God we've got talent on the farm team.

7. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

Within the next 2 years Cory Schneider will be one of the "Elite" goaltenders in this league.
    I used to watch him at Boston College and he always delivered.
    Every time I saw him play this year he was solid.
    I wonder if he didn't pull his groin (or hip) on that breakaway in game 6 against Chicago, if we would've even seen Luongo back in there the rest of the way?

8. Mindcrime1204

Sorry dude, I'm not really into hockey but felt I should give my congrats to the Bruins which are based in the US. If the Canadians in there wanted to play for Canada I'm sure they would have.

Do you not concider the Bruins a US team because they have some dudes from Canada?

EDIT: I'm not some Canadian hater, lol. Have you seen how many hotties they produce!!!!!!!!?????

9. Psyy

Psyy The Care Cup's Empty

Well, there's an issue with your logic. The Boston Bruins (along with a TON of other organizations) though based in the US are mainly comprised of Canadians. A large reason is nearly every Canadian boy grows up at one point or another wanting to play professional hockey, so it flourishes a lot easier. These Canadian players play for an American team because that's how it works out. I'd be very surprised if any hockey player ever wanted to trade to a Canadian-based organization simply because he was Canadian. You play the game you love, and when the Olympics roll around you play for your country; until then you work toward furthering your team and pursuing the Stanley Cup.

Though I'm not sure you understand enough about NHL hockey to assume 'Canadian players would go to a Canadian team if they wanted to'. Up until just a few weeks ago, there were 25 teams based in the US and only 5 in Canada. Odds like that work in favor of an American team eventually drafting you.

10. MFB

MFB ExBendable

You found him choking in game 6 with a final of 5-2 to be worse than 8-1? Is this because of how late it was in the series and that you guys could've won the cup right then, or for some other reason I'm missing?

11. Psyy

Psyy The Care Cup's Empty

I'm not sure about his opinion, but in the 8-1 loss, Luongo's team more or less gave up on plays after about the 4th goal. The 3 that Luongo let in were just weak goals.

12. Mindcrime1204

Ok since there seems to be some confusion on my end.. I'll just re-word my congrats to read:

Thanks to Canada for winning the US the Stanley Cup! :lol:

13. technomancer

So looks like the Pens ARE actually talking to Jagr :lol:

Gotta' say I wouldn't mind seeing him back on a one year deal to see how he does given averaging a point per game on a team without a center like Crosby or Malkin last year...

14. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Aparently his agent also spoke with the Habs' GM, I think he would either go with one of the most talented team, or with one of the most talented Czech in the league (Plekanec)

On a side note, the NHL's governor voted yes for the Trashers relocalisation, so it seems now that nothing could stop the moving from happening

15. technomancer

I think the Habs management told him they're not interested though. Looks like Pittsburgh, Detroit, and probably the Rangers are in the running if he comes back to the NHL.

And yup, looks like the Thrashers are definitely moving. Sort of dreading the realignment the following season that will result from the move though.

16. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

Just what we need, another old guy to get hurt and miss half the damn season like Modano did :lol:

Actually Jagr was one of my favorite players back in the day (when he played with Mario and co) and I'm genuinely interested to see him play again, but he really belongs in Pittsburgh.

unrelated: I was rather surprised to see that Rafalski retired and Lidstrom did not, though Lidstrom did have 62 points this year and hasn't missed a game in either of the last 2 seasons. The guy is like a damn robot.

17. technomancer

18. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

Jagr told ESPN.com:

"In Pittsburgh, I played there 10 years," he said. "I still have a house there. I was too lazy to sell it."

:lol:

Seems like he thinks Pittsburgh is more likely to offer him a contract, but he wants to actually play over here. I'm on the fence myself, but we do need someone to score goals. He'd probably work well on a line like Franzen-Filppula-Jagr maybe depending on what else happens with the roster.

19. technomancer

Yeah pretty much the same way I feel. Having just watched him in the World games a few weeks ago, he looks like he's still effective as a player, the real question is can he check his ego at the door if he signs with the Pens :lol:

20. technomancer

Bylsma won the Jack Adams :woot: