NHL 2010-2011 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by technomancer, Sep 21, 2010.

1. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

So preseason started today, it's time for a new thread :)

I watched the Flyers-Devils preseason game on NHL Network tonight... looks like it's going to be another tough year in the Atlantic Division :lol:

2. mattofvengeance

mattofvengeance Team Ibanez

Getting closer and closer to hockey that matters :)

We should have an SSO fantasy hockey league! :yesway:

3. technomancer

I've got to say DAMN do I wish this Pens - Detroit game was being televised... 3-0 Pens in the first :lol:

Granted it's exhibition, but Osgood IS in net for Detroit

4. MrMcSick

MrMcSick Derp

hell yeah 3-0 so far. Im listening on the x. Wish it was televised.

5. technomancer

Hehe yup me too. Gotta' say though, wonder what the hell Orpik was thinking kneeing somebody in an exhibition game... who does he thing he is, Ovechkin? :nuts:

6. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

Oh god, the Carey Price saga begins:wallbash:

One exhibition game (which was, admittedly, terrible on Price's part) in, and people are already calling for his head. It's going to be a long, long season in Montreal.

7. Unknown Doodl3.2

Unknown Doodl3.2 look at each other..

He wasn't responsible for Bergeron's goals IMO. Still not a very good performance.

8. Hollowman

Hollowman SS.org Regular

ATDHE.net or channelsurfing.net usually carries all the games.

9. TheDivineWing22

TheDivineWing22 You've got the touch

NHL, HBO announce 24/7 Caps-Pens Winter Classic series - 2011 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic - Capitals v. Penguins

"The NHL and HBO Sports announced Thursday their partnership for a groundbreaking, four-episode series as part of the network's 12-time Emmy Award-winning "24/7" reality TV franchise that will go deep into the inner workings of the Capitals-Penguins rivalry leading up to the 2011 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic, which will be played Jan. 1 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. "

I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I think I want this kind of stuff to stay out of the NHL. Its just going to create more drama and give Pens/Caps haters more to talk about.

10. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

The wait is over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot:

True, it was a bad performance. But those who call themselves "fans", and whistle at him are fucking morons, IMO. Let's wait 15-20 games, then we'll talk. Give the guy a chance for Christ's sake... He needs our support.

11. Unknown Doodl3.2

Unknown Doodl3.2 look at each other..

^ :agreed:

Good luck to all the teams (except maybe one or two ;)). Another great season is about to start :D

12. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

Agreed. I was up in the Molson Ex Zone, so I heard it the loudest :lol:. I certainly wasn't impressed with his performance, but the reaction from some of the fans is just a little too much. Right after the game, I was listening to the radio, and people were calling in talking about how "this is what our season is going to look like with Price in the net"... After one meaningless game. Halak's gone, and still, the goaltending controversy just doesn't go away :shrug:. I'm definitely with you on the support thing. He's a good goaltender with a lot of potential, but being so young, we're not helping by making it more difficult than it already is.

13. technomancer

Price needs to be given a chance, I've seen the guy play in person in a couple of games against the Pens where he was just UNREAL. Given that and that he's young, you guys are probably in good shape.

I also love people trying to judge the season based on the preseason. Like yes, it's fun, but come on until the final lineups take the ice all bets are off. Hell the Pens game last night only had one or two guys playing that are likely to be top 6 forwards :lol:

I do have to say though that while I'm not an Asham fan, the idea of a Cooke - Talbot - Asham line is pretty freaking scary. I hadn't thought about them doing something like that.

14. TheDivineWing22

TheDivineWing22 You've got the touch

I think that they will make a good line if the Pens decide to go that route. I'm also interested in Comrie staying on the second line if they want to move Malkin to wing and keeping Staal on the 3rd line when he comes back. I really want to know what the final lineup will be.

On a side note, congrats Technomancer on the new mod status!

15. technomancer

Honestly from the little I've seen so far I'd LOVE to see the following:

Sterling - Crosby - Kunitz/Dupuis
    Tangredi - Comrie - Malkin
    Cooke - Staal/Talbot - Asham

Unfortunately from what we've seen in past years with the Pens being VERY unwilling to really give AHL prospects spots in the lineup I doubt it will happen. I'm figuring we're more likely to see

Dupuis - Crosby - Kunitz
    Asham - Comrie - Malkin

changing to

Comrie - Staal - Malkin

when Staal gets back

as the top two lines... because you know the Pens have guys under NHL contracts so they'll get shuffled to the top 2 lines whether they belong there or not :rofl:

16. technomancer

Also, just wanted to take a minute to say how cool tonight's Pens game is. ALL of the tickets for tonight's game were given away to local youth hockey teams, local charities, and people that worked in the construction of the new arena.

17. technomancer

So watching Hawks / Wings on NHL Net:

Dear Hawks Fans, it's the first week of preseason, it is WAY TOO FUCKING EARLY to be chanting, "We want the Cup"... especially when your team is now 1-2 in the preseason :rofl:

18. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

i played ice hockey for years. my newest brother in law is a ohio highschool gym teacher/football coach. we where talking sports. keep in mind im not a football fan. i was talking about how much fun it was to play and how rough it was sometimes. he instantly said "yeah well they hit harder in football" like it was a competition. it took me about 2 seconds to realize what he said and think. NO WAY IN HELL. i dont think there is anyway that a football player hits harder than a hockey player. what do you think? i would think physics would say the faster moving man would cause the biggest hit, wouldnt you.

19. technomancer

Yup... Not to mention in football it's all two guys hitting each other, as opposed to getting smashed into a solid wall of wood / glass :lol:

Football guys always have the 'oh football is the toughest sport" thing going on. When the NFL starts playing 82 games a season with back-to-back games and playoff series that're best of 7 for each matchup I'll agree :2c: Hell football players whine when they have to play Monday and the following Sunday :rofl:

20. technomancer

Pens are kicking ass, I was at the game tonight and they look REALLY good.

I also wanted to extend a public thanks to Brent Seabrook for scoring the Pens' two goals in the third period :rofl: