NHL 2009-2010 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by troyguitar, Oct 2, 2009.

1. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Yeah we'll see, they definitely needed to improve the defense but they lost some SERIOUS components of the power play that they didn't replace.

The most likely starters are Tangradi, Conner, or Jeffrey and hopefully they give the two they pick a shot on the top two lines and don't screw around with trying to play Talbot and Kennedy up there.

2. technomancer

3. TheDivineWing22

TheDivineWing22 You've got the touch

^^Best news I've heard all day. Maybe he'll go visit LA again lol

4. technomancer

:rofl:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the league REALLY crack down on some of these contracts going forward. I have no idea how a couple of them got accepted in the first place when the salary drops by 75% in the last couple of years...

5. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

^

I've read today that the NHL is still inpsecting other contracts like the Kovalchuk one (ex. : Luongo, Hossa, Pronger, Savard, etc.) and might cancel those as well.

6. TheDivineWing22

It does suck for NJ and Kovalchuck that they are putting their foot down now considering some of the deals that have went down recently, but the NHL had to stop it sometime. It kinda seems like they're shutting the barn door after the horse has already ran out.

7. technomancer

Not necessarily, since they're retroactively reviewing other contracts. I still can't believe the other contract they approved since those tails are obviously there to decrease the cap hit of the contracts :2c:

8. TheDivineWing22

9. technomancer

Arron Asham is now a Pen :nuts:

I honestly am at a complete loss as to why the Pens signed him, they need another role player like they need a hole in the head :shrug:

It will be an interesting season :scratch:

10. TheDivineWing22

^^yeah not the most exciting new. Because of the reason you said, and also because its Asham. I guess we'll see how things pan out. I'm so ready for October

11. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

... And Price just signed for 2 years. :yesway:

Now let's see if the "prodigy" is up for the task.

[​IMG]

12. technomancer

^ :rofl:

I am completely prepared for the Pens to have a terrible season. They've got three of the strongest centers in the league, so do they sign a good winger to go with them? Or even bring up and give 2 of the really strong prospects they have a shot? No of course not they sign a bruiser like Asham, and are apparently going to move one of the 2 best centers in the league in Malkin to the wing with Staal playing center :nuts: We'll ignore the fact that Malkin really doesn't do well on the wing, while Staal played wing for Malkin his rookie year and had his career high in goals that year.

Not to mention this breaks up what was arguably the most effective line the Pens had last season in Cooke / Staal / Kennedy :rant:

13. TheDivineWing22

I really don't want them to break up the cooke/staal/kennedy line, but in all honesty I would rather have Stall center than Malkin if I had the choice. I just think it's a choice that should'nt have to be made.

In other news, Pens sign Mike Comrie. For $500,000, that's a steal in my book.

14. Hollowman

Hollowman SS.org Regular

And Kovy's a Devil again..:fawk:

15. technomancer

Yeah that's a steal... but the Pens really don't need another center :lol: That and Malkin has NEVER played well at wing, while Staal has, so it just seems stupid to me. Staal had his career-high goal scoring his rookie year playing on Malkin's wing. Then again at least with Comrie is they insist of shoving one of their existing centers to wing at least they still have three really strong centers. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how it works out :shrug:

I thought the NHL might actually start cracking down on those contracts, but apparently as long as you're not subverting the cap by more than $3.5 million a year it's ok :rolleyes:

16. Hollowman

Hollowman SS.org Regular

The Pens did it with Malkin and Crosby didn't they.so really it shouldn't matter. anyway it's probably more money that You or I will ever see at once and to me thats more of a shame than anything else.

17. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

I wouldn't want that overpaid sissi on my team at that price. While beeing a very talented player, the guy never proved anything in post-season. And let's not forget his end-of-season with the Devils last year and him having to play in the (defensive) Devils game plan. Let's wait and see of he'll have the same stats he had with the Trashers, where he had the green light to do whatever he wished for.

18. technomancer

Honestly no, I don't consider it the same thing. Signing a young player to a contract with a salary that gets higher towards the end is a little different than signing a player to a contract that runs until they're in their 40s, when most guys retire before then, with the salary at the final years a small percentage of most of the contract. Then again the effect on the cap hit is the same, so maybe that needs re-evaulated and the cap hit for a given year should be the actual salary for that year instead of being based on the average :shrug:

Honestly I also think the Devils are out of their freaking minds paying him that much, but that's another story. It'll be interesting to see how he performs this year.

19. Unknown Doodl3.2

Unknown Doodl3.2 look at each other..

I'm even more interested in seeing how they're going to manage to sign Parise to a new contract next season now that they've blown a wad of cash on kovalchuckles.

20. Hollowman

Hollowman SS.org Regular

When you go from a non playoff team to a playoff team of course your gonna have different expectations and being this will be his first full season only time will tell do I anticipate that he is gonna be good this season yes he's been through out his career so far also it depends on how McLean uses him or if he takes him and gives him the green light.