NHL 2008-09 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Kevan, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown Doodl3.2

Unknown Doodl3.2 look at each other..

Habs ink Camalleri for 5 years! :woohoo:

Still some question marks though going so far.

2. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

3. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

:eek: at 12-year contract.

I'm glad we didn't really lose too much.

4. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

We signed : Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Gill, Spacek.

Gayney says there's room left for one defenseman.

Gainey bought a brand new first line. In short : bye-bye Koivu, bye-bye Tanguay, bye-bye Kovalev, bye-bye Lang.

Maybe one of them will be signed (not Koivu) but... WOw... :lol:

What a different team we'll have! (with a new coach). The end of the Koivu era. :eek:

5. mattofvengeance

mattofvengeance Team Ibanez

Yeah I can't believe Koivu is on his way out. I figured he would be there for the duration.

6. Unknown Doodl3.2

I just want Kovy back, he's such an entertaining player to watch. :( Fuck defensemen, we have loads of those.

Which d-man could they go after anyway? Beauchemin? Maybe Scuderi but I doubt the Pens want to let him go...

There's gotta be something wrong with Tanguay. He's too much of a good player to be given up on all the time, Colorado traded him for broken sticks, Calgary gave him up for a 1st rounder, and this year we just let him go. Makes you wonder...

7. technomancer

The odds of the Pens keeping Scuderi are slim to none to be honest, mainly because our GM is an idiot. From what I've read I'm willing to bet you'll see the announcement that somebody else signed Scuderi before the end of the day.

I'm fucking loving that Fedetenko and Scuderi are both willing to stay for salaries the Pens can afford but want contracts longer than two years and our GM won't budge :rant: For some reason Shero doesn't seem to get that if you need to you can TRADE GUYS THAT ARE UNDER CONTRACT instead of dealing with this free agency mess every year.

So thus far we've added Rupp who we don't need and replaced Gill with a rookie. Yeah I'd say this next season is going to be a joy :lol:

8. Unknown Doodl3.2

I'm pretty happy with all the moves made so far. I'm just anxious to see the play of a line where Scott Gomez is the tallest at 5'11" though :lol:

I was looking through nhlnumbers.com and we seem to have enough cap space to sign the RFA's and get another decent $4-5million player on the team; Although we'd be close to bust if it came to that. If we can't get Kovy back I'd love to get Beauchemin.

9. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

Kovalev was offered a contract before Cammalleri. Cammalleri just said yes before Kovalev...

I'd really like to keep Kovalev as well, but that's not gonna happen.
    I'm pissed they're letting Tanguay go... I wanted him with the Habs for so long... And now, after only half a season, he's gone. :noway:

Oh well... I guess well now be small / fast / furious. :lol:

10. technomancer

11. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

I'm really liking what the habs have done. There was a big character problem in Montreal last year. If your alternate captain (and captain while Koivu was out) is a floater like Kovalev is, good luck getting the rest of your team fired up. Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri are all hard-working players. What many people seem to be forgetting is that the only player available to have scored more goals than Cammalleri last year was Hossa, and considering he's seen as one of the league's elite, Montreal definitely made a good pick-up, especially since he's in his prime right now.

If Gainey can attract either a big, stay-at-home D-man like Beauchemin (and then find a way to dump Hamrlik's salary) or a big, aggressive type of winger like Bertuzzi to play alongside Plekanec and A. Kostitsyn, sign up all our RFA's and we're icing an extremely competitive team... Just think of what this team could look like if Gomez and Gionta could light it up like they did in Jersey the year they won the cup, and Plekanec and Kostitsyn could perform like they did two years ago. If(!!!) the habs' top two lines could put together career seasons, they'll be near the top of the food chain by the time playoffs roll around. Here's to hoping that Price doesn't tank!

It looks like L.A. could be a very cempetitive team in the near future. They've been picking up tons of young talent through the draft, and now Scuceri's on his way there. I've also heard rumblings of Kovalev being in talks with L.A., who would probably like him as a mentor to some of their young, skilled eastern european players like Frolov and Kopitar.

12. mattofvengeance

mattofvengeance Team Ibanez

Well Frolov is Russian, but that's splittin hairs. I think LA has a chance to be competitive if they can ever get their goaltender situation figured out. Jonathan Quick has lots of potential, but he isn't there yet.

As far as Montreal goes, with the exception of Hal Gill, they look like they're trying to build the shortest team in the NHL :)

13. Unknown Doodl3.2

^not to mention the fastest ;) Gionta doesn't play like a player his size, Neither does Cammalleri

14. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

You know, the more I think about it, the more I feel the same. There was an obvious identity problem last year. We needed that drastic, almost full-house sweeping to clean the atmosphere.

It's just crazy to see how much Habs fans in general are complaining... I don't get it. We really needed a fresh start... All we need now is to sign a big D, or get a great 2nd line player.

15. technomancer

16. JeffFromMtl

I was just skimming through a list of available FA's, and I think if the habs couldn't make a high enough offer to Beauchemin, they could use their last $4M (after RFA's) or so to make offers to both, a solid d-man in Christian Backman and an excellent checking winger in Todd Bertuzzi. I think I might even like something like that more than a situation in which they'd have to choose between giving a bigger contract to just one winger or one D. I'm not positive how much Backman made last year, but I'm pretty sure Bertuzzi's contract was under $2M/season.

17. Unknown Doodl3.2

What about Ales Kotalik?

18. JeffFromMtl

Kotalik is a little more of a gamble. While Bert's production has gone down, it has also leveled out over the past two seasons, and you can expect a 40-50 pt performance. Kotalik, on the other hand, has been wildly inconsistent throughout his career, but he seems like the type of player to go on a real tear if he can stay healthy, which I wouldn't put my money on. Even though Kotalik is a pretty big guy, he doesn't quite bring the grit that Bertuzzi does, nor the veteran presence. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kotalik manage 50+ points wherever he ends up next season if he plays 82 games, but aside from point production, he just wouldn't bring as much to the table for the habs as a guy like Bertuzzi would.

19. technomancer

The good:

The Pens signed Fedetenko

The bad:
    Our GM is still a fucking asshole

Fedetenko wanted a multi-year deal, Shero refused to give it to him and here he is making it sound like it's what Fedetenko asked for... I suppose Sykora asked not to be resigned too :rolleyes:

20. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

Kovalev is going to Ottawa.

:wavey:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.