NGDish Jackson SL2H BGF plus an OGD Squier Floyd Rose series ie reuniting with the past

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Edika, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Hi all, a couple of years back I finally got one of my dream guitars a Jackson USA soloist. I loved the guitar but it only ignite my GAS for more. Several Jackson USA guitars passed by used in good prices but I never really could justify the extra expense as they still weren't that cheap. But I almost did buy another soloist an a Kelly at some point. Fast forward to this August were I was seeing this guitar in ebay for a really good starting price. I figured it was just going to sell in quite a heftier end price and didn't really want to go into a bidding war. However it was didn't sell and decided to give it a go if it was relisted. I decided I wanted it enough to sell a couple of my guitars to fund it ad when it was relisted I just bid the initial price. Out of some strange lucky coincidence noboy else bid and I got the guitar. And here it is, a Jackson BGF SL2H with a few slight upgrades like a brass block, stainless steel screws on the Floyd and locking nut, Zebra Seymour Duncan JB and 59 pickups and came with a strap and has straplocks. Please excuse the no flash and late night photography:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guitar slays. I was expecting to be pulling the pickups out and replacing them with something else but they're not going anywhere. This guitar sounds phenomenal and the JB sounds massive. An excellent surprise was the 59 neck as it was the first time I played one. I think it's my current favorite neck pickup. I don't know how much the brass trem block is affecting the tone but I'm getting a few for my other Floyd equiped guitars. The sound is just more alive in this guitar, which is a super well built guitar and that is of course is the main thing, but if it enhances the sound of my other guitars then I'm game. Cosmetically it's in almost new condition for it's age. I think this is from 2005 so it is a 12 year old guitar. It has some fret wear which is to be expected. One thing I was a bit surprised is that the the high E was really close to the edge and fretting out quite easily. I moved the nut a bit to the top side and measured all dimensions to see if there was something routed incorrectly and checking with my other Jackson which is perfect and has enough clearance. Everything checked out but the difference in this guitar is that going up the neck the fretboard seems to be rounded abit. Just enough to create this issue. As I said me moving the nut made things a lot better. I measured the nut size and it's at 42 mm whch seems to be an R3 or R4 nut (cna someone verify this please). I'm thinking of replacing it with an R2 or an R1 which will buy me enough space for the issue to be resolved. I had to sell my beloved Schecter SLS and my Jackson SLAT3-7 to cover the cost but I'm not regretting it one bit. I initially considered sending it back and the seller would have loved that as I got it in a really good price but it just sounds so good!

Coming to the OGD and reuniting, on my last trip back home I was planning to bring my first guitar back with me. As things turned out and travelling with young kids, it wouldn't be possible so I shipped the guitar to N.Ireland. The guitar reached me safely and I'm more than delighted. This is a Squier MIJ Floyd Rose series guitar and it still is the most comfortable guitar I have played. This is an old guitar and quite well used and it shows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This are the initial modes I have planned, a new Omega Cerberus bridge pickup, a 5 way CRL switch, CTS 500K pots and a 0.47mf cap. Two pots are already prewired and I'm going to use only one of those.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The reason for the new electronics is to get the best sound possible out of it. I like the single coils still but might change them in the future. The bridge humbucker is low-mid output. Really clear and quite full sounding. I read somewhere that this model came with a Dimarzio PAF in the bridge and I'm curious to see. The Omega pickup came from seeing a review from Arnold Plays Guitars. I don't usually go by youtube reviews for pickups and I was planning to go with a more conservative choice but from the videos I've seen of him and byt the way he describes which tonal characteristics he likes in pickups it seems we share a similar taste. So I was quite impressed with this pickup and had a look at their site. The pickup came to £68.95 with shipping costs and boasts a main Alnico V with two Ceramic on the sides and has a DC resistance of 13-13.3 KOhm. They are handwound in the UK and are a new company so I decided to give them a shot. I will report back when I finally install the pickup for my opinion on it.
    I plan on checking if the Floyd II has the stainless steel inserts when I take it out to install the electronings. If not then it will get replaced by other a new Schaller Floyd Rose II type bridge ot I might get an OFR and replace the intonation screws with shorter ones. The main reason for the OFR is that if the Schaller saddles are from the same material as the Floyd II they won't last long. I've a second one that has cracked. It was in the span of 20 years though but still. Plus the stainless steel base plate of the OFR seems to give a punchier sound. Anyway I'll see as the OFR's currently sell for £300 in the UK (and about that much in the EU) while the Schaller bridge goes for £140. Huge difference in price and while I understand the quality of the German made OFR I can't but cringe at the idea that it costs about $200 in the US. Even importing it would be cheaper, what the actual hell!. Anyway I have to be sure it fits as it's a quite expensive bridge and I don't won't on the other hand route the guitar in any way.

So thanks for enduring all my ramblings! TL;DR version. A new awesome USA made guitar and my first guitar, an MIJ joy to play that is going to get spruced up!

feraledge, sezna, Trashgreen and 4 others like this.
  2. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I forgot to mention, a big shout out to Northwest Guitars for ordering an Oak Grigsby 5 way switch and because they were out they send me a CRL 5 way switch instead of refunding or telling me to wait until they have them back in stock, along with a letter explaining the situation.

3. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

One of the only flame designs that I've ever liked on a guitar.... actually love that one... perfect colors, fade, etc. Sexy!

Edika likes this.
  4. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I had a Jackson DK2M red with ghost flames that looked stunning and that was what drove me to pick this up. However this is really classy looking and doesn't take away from the guitar!

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  5. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I changed the electronics and bridge pickup and I got to say I really like the Omega Cerberus pickup. It's powerful, tight and clear sounding without going over the top. It has a nice full sound and it also seems it'll be able to handle lower tunings well. The single coils sound better with the CTK pots and orange drop cap. I don't see an immediate need to swap them but might do so eventually.

The Floyd Rose II is definetely not the one made by Schaller. My plan is to replace the bridge with their version of the above Floyd. The Schaller one has stainless steel inserts in the knife edges and also has steel saddles so i'm ok with that. The OFR requires routing or significant hassle to trace shorter string lock screws that will have tapered for the saddle blocks.

Whatever pickup was in there it was not a Dimarzio.