NGD - YJM strat

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by noob_pwn, Jun 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

So there's an interesting story behind this one.

I'm a huge fan of strats, relics etc but never really got along with how they played because I'm used to thumping on huge frets and huge strings all the time, I never really warmed up to the smaller frets on more classic guitars and thus never really thought about buying a strat, even though I'm a huge fan of how they sound. Then a few weeks back my band did a signing at a store that had a YJM strat and I had a jam on it and fell in love right away with the jumbo frets and surprisingly enough, the scallops too, they just seemed to suit my playing style really well:

[​IMG]

As soon as I got my paycheck at the end of the tour, I started trawling the internet for a good deal on a YJM and was pointed in the direction of a particular website called J-guitar by a good friend of mine, Shane Bailey from the BMusic store in Adelaide. For those unfamiliar J-guitar is like a collective site for stacks of japanese guitar stores with lots of cool, wierd models and some very mint second hand gear (the japs are very particular about the condition of their guitars). I came across one particular YJM that was very interesting. It must have been a store special or something because it supposedly had an electric blue finish (looks more like daphne/seafoam now because I think the clearcoat has yellowed a tad), and a a small headstock instead of the usual larger one. The plastic parts on it aren't factory aged either but they have yellowed a tad because the guitar is from 1996. Anyway, I bought the guitar, Shane imported it for me and sent it out. I'm going to use the pics he took because I haven't been able to put it down long enough to grab some decent ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can't get over how good of a nick this thing is in and how easy it is to play, really didn't take much setting up and all and it sounds great with the stock dimarzios/fender pickups (had a 5-way which was wierd). The neck profile is very comfortable and it can pull a very wide range of tones. I have ordered some BKP trilogy suites with a RWRP middle pickup to try out in it, can't wait to throw those in and see how they sound. I will never sell this guitar and I feel sorry for my girlfriend.

Doomlord, Swyse, Dooky and 19 others like this.
  2. Francis978

Francis978 SS.org Regular

Nice score dude! I'm really digging the color!

I've been GASsing for one for awhile, scalloped frets sort of make me nervous though so I never pulled the trigger on one. I wanna play one first. Unfortunately I can never find one in my area.

Nonetheless, beautiful guitar! Maybe a sound clip of it when you get those new pickups? :)

3. Jzbass25

Jzbass25 SS.org Regular

Wow that looks awesome, lucky score! I like that it has a dual fulcrum trem instead of the vintage trem. I wish I could get a yjm exactly like that but in either candy apple red or sonic blue haha.

4. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Not a store special, just a particularly old example of the model. YJMs didn't have the large 70s-style headstocks until '98, and they used to be available in both the vintage "white" we all know and love and the blue you lucked out and snagged one in. Also, not sure why it's "wierd" that it has a 5-way switch. It's a Strat. Strats have 5-ways :lol:.

Congrats on the score, man. I've wanted one off and on for over a decade now, but the GAS and the funds have never lined up, haha.

5. Gram negative

Gram negative Christopher Horton

Man, I love that color. I didnt know that these came in any other color than the yellow/aged white either.
    Ive had lots of Strats over the years, and I always seem to sell them, then I kick myself in the ass later. They are really great to have in a studio situation, because nothing sounds like a strat.

Great score, HNGD dude!

6. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

Thanks dude, I wasn't aware. I have been told that the YJM models ship stock with a 3-way, and the one I tried at the store had a 3-way.

7. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

Yeah it's a big plus man, holds tune very well indeed and is very comfortable! apparently this is sonic blue but I think the clearcoat has yellowed a bit hence the colour it appears to be

8. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Huh. Seems you're right, and the current models and the custom shop uber-model have three-ways. Could just be another feature of the old-school models like the one you have, along with the color and the headstock. The trem is actually different on the new ones, too, as are the pickups.

9. the.godfather

the.godfather Mr. Flibble

Lovely guitar dude! :yesway:

I have a 2005 Malmsteen Strat in Candy Apple Red and love it to pieces. I really want an older one like yours in the collection though, with the small 50's headstock. But they so rarely come up for sale it's hard to grab one at the right price alot of the time. I'm always looking though.

10. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Awesome!

Congrats.

11. Stooge1996

Stooge1996 SS.org Regular

but can it dispossession?

12. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

sweet yjm.

13. GRUNTKOR

GRUNTKOR - GRANKOR

the colour is sonic blue

14. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

Yes - very good score! Congrats! That's one unique,sweet strat!

Might just be the photograpy but that's a fair bit darker and greener than either of my sonic blue Fenders.

15. Chasethebreather

Chasethebreather SS.org Regular

I like this one so much more than the ones I've played with the 70s headstocks. Not a fan of them. Your finish + regular headstock though, sick. Finish is awesome too. Good buy bro.

16. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Great Score, Killer Guitar.

Time to Unleash The Fookin' Fury!!!!

17. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

The pics are pretty spot on, like I said it looks like the clearcoat has yellowed a bit, especially on top