NGD - warning, death metal guitar ahead

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Esp Griffyn, May 26, 2011.

1. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn APEX

Got my new guitar today, after several days of cack-handed business practices from the shop I ordered it from online.

Here are some less than amazing pics. I will take some better ones at the weekend, for now, these will have to do!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There you have it, a Bc Rich JRV Icon, the Pat O'brien (Cannibal Corpse) signature model, though his name is not on here anyway.

I've been getting more and more into metal (again) lately and started listening to Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel et al after a break of probably 5 or 6 years. I used to think that I could never own a "metal" guitar because I could not pigeonhole myself like that. I would feel silly playing Jazz fusion on it, but my K-7 can more than handle that. I started to want a guitar that I could tune to C standard, a tuning that I love, and really get down to writing and playing some death metal. So I lost the chip on my shoulder and started browsing the Bc Rich website, holy shit they do some nice guitars these days!

Anyway, let's look at the spec sheet...

EMG 81 pickup
    Floyd Rose Original trem
    Mahogany body
    Ebony fretboard
    thru-neck construction

Pretty damn impressive stuff, especially when you consider the price...£600!! Imo, Bc Rich are making incredible value for money guitars at the moment, especially when the Japanese builders prices are soaring day by day. For what would buy a "bottom end of mid-range" guitar from some manufacturers, Bc Rich are knocking out top spec, top quality stuff it seems.

For sheer volume of guitars that are iconic to me, Ibanez will always be my #1, but now Bc Rich, a company I had previously discounted and taken no interest in, came out of nowhere and hit me with a range of guitars that I would love to own. So many guitars, so little time! Perhaps I will buy myself a Rizzo Stealth 7 to tune to Ab come Christmas time :D

So, the guitar. It came tuned to E standard, and it did not stay this way for more than 10 minutes. It's tuned to C standard now, and needs a little more set up work, one more "nut off, retune, nut on, fine tune" and it will be perfect. Spent a while balancing the trem (had to raise one of the trem posts quite a bit) to get it playing nicely and had a bit noodle on it.

First impressions; it's my first V guitar, so it's a bit weird, but comfortable to play sitting and standing. Glad I never listened to those uneducated nay sayers who say "Vs are just stage guitars man". The neck is thinner than I was expecting, not Ibanez Wizard thin but not at all chunky. Very comfortable, low action and no buzzing and the fretwork is excellent.

The finish is excellent, smoothly applied all over with particular care on the red/black borders, an area where some manufacturers (cough, Dean, cough) get sloppy. The guitar is very well proportioned and despite being the smaller and narrower JR V body shape, balances well. I was half expecting that headstock to plummet towards the floor, but it hangs well.

The EMG 81 sounds excellent, as you'd expect and the bridge is great, stays in tune very well. I would expect nothing less from a guitar specced by a monster player like Pat O'brien.

Some better pics will follow this weekend, suffice to say I'm chuffed to bits with this guitar. Awesome guitar at a very reasonable price, I'm extremely impressed!

Better photos to come!

nonr, Kabstract, Randy and 32 others like this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I hate Vs, not an EMG guy, and don't really dig single pickups guitars, but FUCK I want one of these.

Congrats man!

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  3. Curt

Curt Djackass

I don't mind single pickup guitars, but i'm with you on the other 2 and I would like one of these as well.

:lol:

BC Rich makes some nice import stuff, the Chuck Schuldiner import tribute model and it was one of the best playing sub $1000 guitars i've played.

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  4. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

Killer axe.

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  5. great_kthulu

great_kthulu SS.org Regular

NICE!!! pat is a great player and has good taste in guitars! Looks great.

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  6. Dionysian

Dionysian More gear than sense

I still can't stand that headstock, and red/black guitars don't really go in my book .. But fuck do I want a single-pickup V.

Ever since I saw this one: HATE - Ran Guitars I've been wanting to build my own v just like that except with a hipshot bridge and a warpig. It's insane that thing man!

7. silverabyss

silverabyss _(:3 」∠)_ Contributor

Man those are some really nice specs for the price.

Awesome pick man

I wish they'd make a black Eagle with a floyd, their current Eagle models are sort of :scratch:

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  8. Thep

Thep Blast & Sweep

3 wrongs make a right! :lol:

Congrats!

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  9. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil \m not jesus land m/

I'm probably getting one of these :agreed:

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  10. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

I hate you for having that guitar, but its's that GAS kinda hate. I want one of those so bad.

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  11. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn APEX

Thanks for the compliments guys!

One of the key reasons to me buying this guitar was that it's so different to anything I've owned before. First Bc Rich, first V, first guitar with active pickups, first neck thru. I've owned quite a few guitars now but they have all been superstrats, bar my first guitars (Squier strat and Epiphone Les Paul) and my Xiphos, which still played and sounded like an Ibanez super strat anyway.

So far, I absolutely love it. I love the looks, it plays like I would never have expected a £600 guitar to play and it sounds great too.

12. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil \m not jesus land m/

:agreed: If the frets on these Korean B.C. Rich guitars were a little tidier, I'd believe you if you told me they were American :2c:

My Stealth has one blemish which was only found thanks to my ridiculously pedantic behavior.

13. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

Congrats big time. Now go play some Slayer or Satan will take your soul... oh wait he already did :evil:

I myself spotted one of these new BC Riches at a shop and was very impressed. SLICK AS FUCK. Good choice mate!

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  14. Nile

Nile Giver of the Likes

God damn I want.

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  15. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn APEX

Bump, just added some better pics.

Almost got the bridge perfectly set up now, just needs a little more tweaking and it will be done.

Played some Black Dahlia Murder on it this morning, it sounds fantastic! :D

16. Corpsegrinder88

Corpsegrinder88 Jackson Whore

very nice...

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  17. THEE HAMMER

THEE HAMMER Banned

awesome guitar, only thing I would lose would be the red stripes on the rear of the neck.

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  18. Metalman X

Metalman X The Resplendent Sub-Human

Manchester, CT., United States Of Vinland
    Excellent axe!

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  19. Tranquilliser

Tranquilliser SS.org Regular

This guitar is trve.

Esp Griffyn likes this.
  20. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor