NGD: The ugliest partscaster

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by vilk, Oct 1, 2017.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Recommendation for one of said companies??

2. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

just take the pick gaurd off and spray paint it matte black, then throw it back on, way more metal that way.

kamello and vilk like this.
  3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

:lol: I feel so dumb. Especially because my buddy and I literally did this for his bass back when we were like 16. My mom keeps loads of spraypaint in the basement, I'm fuckin all set. Talk about being a consumer, my brain just immediately says buy buy buy buy buy when I could make it so simply.

chassless and Nlelith like this.
  4. jl-austin

jl-austin SS.org Regular

Or a metal pickguard! Like a home made metal pickguard, can't get any more metal than that! :shred:

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

easiest thing to do about getting a replacement pickguard is buy a blank off of ebay, trace the original shape onto it, and cut it out with a jigsaw/dremel. Or yeah, the cheapest way is just spray paint it and clear coat it (only if you want better durability).

6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Look at this picture and tell me the body isn't wrong

[​IMG]

The high E is like almost not on the fretboard. That means the bridge routing of this body is made for a different width nut?
    Or... Something else?

7. KnightBrolaire

either the neck isn't properly aligned (could be substandard routing of the neck pocket if it's a homemade body) or the bridge is slightly off and not perfectly aligned.

vilk likes this.
  8. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Just get the cheapest body you can find from Warmoth and spray it black. It'll be everything you need and nothing you don't.

9. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

Looks like it could also be a simple alignment issue, with lots of room on the low side to work with. Loosen strings a bit but not too much, loosen the bolts in the back a bit as well, shift the neck downward a bit using strings as guide. Just do it carefully, applying next to no pressure and see if it works. Yeah it could be the bridge or the pocket, but first check if it's literally just poor alignment done by a chick in a rush to doom the fuck out haha.

tedtan and vilk like this.
  10. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I was thinking about trying to do what Malevolent Croation said, but I've decided that the body is too light and causes the neck to drop down farther than I'd prefer. Whether it's the light pine wood or that ergonomic classical position cutaway, I think the body will need to be heavier to pull up that neck how I like it.

So uh, I'm sure those warmoth bodies are real nice and all, but there's nothing less than $300 which is sorta out of my price range.

I was kinda thinking that people get leftover guitar bodies when the break or damage the necks, etc, and I'm sorta hoping I can find myself a guitar body for around $100. P.S. I don't believe in / don't care about tonewood.

edit: OR, since it's a POS body anyway, maybe I'll start gluing little pieces of metal to it until the neck comes back up? But the routing cavities are so tiny and nothing in the back, idk where I'd put any weights. Maybe I'll just superglue them right to the face of the guitar to make it extra preposterous looking... I'm just joking. Ultimately I want this guitar to look GOOD when all things are said and done.

11. KnightBrolaire

or go buy a tele body from guitar fetish and spraypaint it black. they have some hh tele bodies for under 50$

vilk likes this.
  12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Yes, this is more my price range. Only... they're all routed for S-S or H-H...

Maybe I'll go strat? Can you put a tele neck on a strat or does it make some kind of antimatter explosion?

ah... here's my answer:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  13. vilk

vilk Very Regular

A-ha!

On guitar fetish, they sell conversion rings to put a single coil in a humbucker space. So I can get the HH config with a ring and I'm ready to rock n roll!

cwhitey2 likes this.
  14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

black pearloid.
    Thank me later....
    [​IMG]

15. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Super thank you dude. Yesterday I was holding my thumb up over the screen trying to imagine lol

lewis likes this.
  16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

you are very welcome man!.

17. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but you should be able to get away with an HH routed body if you buy a pickguard, if you wanted an HS config. The pickup would mount to the pickguard, so the extra space would be a non issue. Then you can mount the bridge pup like a normal humbucker.

Not sure about dimensions with the pickguard though.

vilk likes this.
  18. KnightBrolaire

Pretty sure there are HS pickguards that would fit the guitar fetish body just fine. there's tons of replacement pickguards on ebay.

19. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

It's not a bad looking guitar...I'd swap the pickguard for a gray mirrored one or black.

20. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

somehow make a cross shaped the same as the inlays to use as a weight and pull the neck up, stick it on under the bridge, more metal less money and keeps the uglycaster motif going.