NGD - The Koa Skervesen Raptor 6

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by cmtd, Jun 4, 2017.

1. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

I recently took delivery of my Skervesen Raptor 6, I wanted to spend a few days with it before writing up what turned out to be a lengthy review.

I have a build thread located here http://sevenstring.org/threads/skervesen-raptor-koa-build-thread.317748/ if you want to check that out

Specs are:

Top: Flamed Koa

Body: Black Limba

Neck: 5-piece Pau Ferro/Wenge

Frets: Jescar Stainless 57110

Fretboard: Ebony

Bridge: Schaller Hannes

Tuners: Hipshot locking

Pickups: BKP Alnico V Nailbomb (Bridge), BKP Alnico V VHII (Neck)

This was my first experience with Skervesen. It’s no secret that the aesthetic of this guitar was heavily inspired by the look of the blackmachine Misha owns. My first step was searching out a flamed koa top. I contacted about 20+ wood suppliers looking for a top that would meet the dimensions Skervesen needed, and turned up empty. One of the last suppliers I contacted had a piece that fit the bill perfectly. So, I had the top shipped from Oregon to Skervesen in Poland. It took just over a month to arrive, which was a semi nerve racking experience as tracking info wasn’t really available once it left the US. Communication with Bogumil at Skervesen was absolutely top notch. I think we were up to close to 100 emails back and forth for the build, and he always got back to me within 2 days, most always within 24 hours. Any changes were handled with ease, and progress pics & updates were regular.

The guitar is a joy to play. I’ve looked it over in detail from top to bottom and can’t really find a flaw. The only thing I can find is that it looks like a route for the bridge may have gotten made a bit wide. We are talking a mm or less.
    [​IMG]
    This absolutely doesn’t concern me in the least, but it is literally the only “flaw” I can find with the guitar, and I wanted to include that to show the level of perfection I believe that Skervesen has built to. The neck pocket is very tight, the CTS pot is smooth as butter, hardware looks great, binding is flawless, nut is well cut, and the luminlay side dots are placed perfectly.

The fret work is outstanding. The edges of the frets are some of the smoothest I have ever felt, nice rounded off edges. There really isn’t any fret buzz, which is impressive considering how low the action is. The neck is a compound 12”-16” radius. The action is great out of the box and intonation is on point. The guitar holds tune very well. The neck profile feels asymmetrical to my hand. I haven’t asked them about this or measured anything, just judging by feel. In the lower register it has a symmetrical thin c shape, that moves to a slightly asymmetrical shape towards the upper register. The thicker, center point of the neck moves towards the treble strings. I would liken it to the shape of a teardrop cut in half. It is subtle, but something I noticed and have no complaints about.

The Nailbomb and VHII combo works well together. They are balanced and compliment each other nicely. This guitar has the “world domination mod” switching system, which is a proprietary Skervesen wiring. It provides full HB, split coil, and an acoustic mode. It’s not close to piezo sounding, I get more of an inner vs outer coil split type sound with it. I am really happy with the switching options, I find every position is useful, especially when using clean tones. It covers a lot of ground. The electronics cavity is completely copper shielded, and the wiring is exceptionally clean.

[​IMG]

The guitar is very resonant and fairly loud acoustically. The guitar weighs in at 7.3lbs. It has a really strong bass response, possibly the strongest from any guitar I've personally owned. It isn't loose and flubby, but very pronounced and strong. The guitar is extremely "tight" sounding, and has a rather large amount of attack. I’m going to keep the Nailbomb in the guitar for the foreseeable future, however I may consider swapping it with something to tame the bass a bit down the road. The guitar sustains very well, I would say it is at the level, if not better than my PRS CU22.

The guitar took exactly 1 week to arrive from Skervesen after being shipped. I had a great experience dealing with Skervesen, and would not hesitate to order from them again in the future. It was a nice suprise that they used a bit of the koa to make the electronics cavity cover, they didn't tell me they were doing this, but it is one of my favorite little nuances of the guitar. Someone posted on facebook stating that they didnt like that there was no logo on the guitar, and that I had requested this because of the blackmachine, blah blah. This is not true at all, I actually wish it had a Skervesen logo on it somewhere, but they dont put logos on the 019 headstock shape, and they decided against routing a logo into the koa backplate.

I took a couple of phone pics I will include below, but most of the pics are from Skervesen's pictures they took before shipping the guitar out to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

probably the best koa top I've ever seen. congrats

3. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Really nice top on that :yesway:

4. jbcrazy

jbcrazy SS.org Regular

I f'ing love this guitar. F0ck!!!

5. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Blackest Of The Blackest

Congrats man

6. Tisca

Tisca SS.org Regular

Looks great. What was the build time?

7. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

Thanks, it was right at 6 months after the deposit was paid.

Tisca likes this.
  8. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

Was just browsing the Skervesen site now and saw this. Looks like she is the current Raptor 6 cover model :)

[​IMG]

Millul likes this.
  9. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

very nice looking top...congrats

10. bigfau91

bigfau91 SS.org Regular

Wow I'm not normally into Skervesens but this one is sick, congrats! Very BM-esque, which is cool.

11. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

This turned out awesome, happy NGD!

12. zero_end

zero_end Lurker

Aesthetically it gets a 10 from me. Playability, well, I would have to judge that in person ;)

13. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

HNGD dude! Love the top.

Only thing I would have done differently was have the Viper headstock instead of the 19. Neither is a perfect BM copy but both do a great job at getting that vibe.

14. silverabyss

silverabyss _(:3 」∠)_ Contributor

Nice top :yesway:

15. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Can't decide if the top or the wiring is nicer! HNGD

16. feraledge

feraledge Black Walnut Pounding Bragger Contributor

That Skervy is so appealing I had to take some Vitamin C.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  17. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

I would make love to that top...

18. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

That top is stunning. I saw it on FB and i got an instant boner ;-) So much win with that koa.
    Welcome to Skervesen family.

19. nicktao

nicktao SS.org Regular

Pretty spot on I'd say. I've been planning a build like this since I first saw Misha's koa BM as well.

[​IMG]

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  20. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

That looks absolutely amazing, makes me want a guitar with a Koa top now!

Love the Schaller bridge as well was so gutted my mayones didn't come with one.
    HNGD!