NGD! SX 5'er

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by musikizlife, Jan 9, 2012.

1. musikizlife

musikizlife TCM Softhands

So this one's a little late but what NGD's aren't?

Its an SX Ursa II 5 string, in the natural ash finish

Im a guitar player at heart, but I've had a feigning for bass lately, and I've also wanted a way to add real bass to my recordings without constantly borrowing, so my wonderful GF grabbed this for me for Christmas :)

It first arrived as 4 string but quickly contacted Kurt and 2 days later I had myself a 5'er.

Now a a statement then a question. Since I'm going to be playing with the 5th string dropped to an A, and it's quite floppy and hits the bridge pickup. What gauge strings do you guys think I should use to keep it nice and tight? ( I know nothing about bass shit lol)

anyway.... pics :)

EDIT: Heres a clip I posted earlier using it!
    http://soundcloud.com/musikizlife/sickbreakbro-with-real-bass

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wookieslayer, JamesM and s_k_mullins like this.
  2. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

I need to get one of these. They're so cheap you can't really go wrong. I also have a similar question as far as gauges, but I'd be going down to G#.

3. Hybrid138

Hybrid138 SS.org Regular

Damn... I like it. What do you think of the pickups, neck, playability, etc? I always fight the urge to get one of these. I have a Fender 4 string but I don't have a 5 at all.

4. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Gear Junkie

my go to bass is a SX I love the tone of it so lo-fi and gritty. Sold all my higher end basses because believe it or not I love that SX.

NICE BASS

5. musikizlife

Thanks guys!
    and compared to the basses i've played (Schecter Stilleto, and Ibanez GSR i think it was) It's really up there. The quality definitely surpasses the price IMO. I don't have all that much experience with basses but especially for the price you can't go wrong especially if you need a 5 string to knock around. and on top of it, it's really pretty :p

6. przemyslawwolski

przemyslawwolski SS.org Regular

7. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

That looks great, I imagine it weighs a shit-ton though?

Rondo used to sell a replacement fretless neck for those - I used to want to buy that bass and that neck so I could change between fretted and fretless :hbang:

8. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Swap out those strings and give the bass a good setup the first chance you get. The stock strings that come with SX, Agile, Brice etc are abysmal and you will notice an improvement in tone after changing them. A set of .136 .102 .076 .057 .041 strings should do fine (I use Circle K strings so I'm going by their gauges). I don't think you'd need anything above a .140 for a low A string personally.

9. musikizlife

Honestly it's not terrible, and considering the fact that I won't really be using it live, doesn't make the weight a problem

would love a fretless neck:yesway:

Thanks for the info, definitely gunna get on that asap, even tuned at a B the low string is like a wet noodle... extra floppy haha