NGD Sully 624T

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by The 1, Sep 13, 2017.

1. The 1

The 1 SS.org Regular

I can't upload pics, but here's the link to Sully's photo album:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/sullyville/sets/72157674044056686/with/33518432881/

Specs:
    Mahogany/Flame Maple Top
    3pc Maple Neck (Oiled)
    Pale Moon Ebony Fretboard/Headstock
    22 SS Medium-Jumbo Frets
    Speed Neck Profile (.77 - .82")
    24.75" Scale Length
    Schaller Hannes
    Hipshot Locking Tuners
    Habanero Pickups by Grover Jackson, push-pull coil-split
    Cloudy Day (Trans White) Finish
    Weighs 7.2 lbs

Background story:
    I came across Sully Guitars on my quest to find the ultimate supertele. I think the tele shape is the classiest design, but I've never really got along with Fenders no matter how much I tried. The Charvel Style 2 was really appealing but still not quite everything I was looking for, so I decided to look into custom to get exactly what I wanted. I got a quote for a Charvel CS, but the wait time was at least 2 years, and it cost quite a bit more for still fairly limited options.

Back to Sully, he had all the options I wanted minus the tele headstock (but his headstocks are cool too). And seeing feraledge's 624T, gave me more assurance in Sully as a reliable builder. I only communicated with him through email, but communication was great. He always responded same day, kept me updated through the build process, and was very helpful with questions. The turnaround time was 6 months from when I placed the order until I received it, and it turned out to be everything I hoped for.

About the guitar:
    My idea was to keep it as simple as possible with only the features I need, and nothing more. I was going for something classy and understated, with an exotic touch.

Body:
    I can honestly say this is the most comfortable T-shape I've played. The forearm contour, body contour, leg contour, sculpted heel, and rounded edge all come together really well to make this feel like it "fits like a glove." Being lightweight is a big deal to me so I opted for "lightweight mahogany", and I'm very happy with how that turned out.

Neck:
    I went with Sully's "Speed neck". I'm not sure if it's modeled after Jackson's Speed neck, but I'd describe it as a thin C, very comfortable. It was also a plus for me that Sully does 24.75" scale, I prefer shorter scales and you don't usually find that on these kind of guitars. Fretwork is great and the SS feels super slick.

Bridge:
    I've always liked the look of the Schaller Hannes and really wanted to try one, but you can't really get it except on customs. It's now my favorite hardtail bridge. Besides looking cool, the main thing for me is the smooth, large surface area. I'd describe it as being close to feel to a Floyd Rose but even smoother. As for functionality/ease-of-use, I'd say it's as good as a Hipshot.

Pickups:
    They're called Habanero pickups made by Grover Jackson, and are Sully's choice. They're pretty versatile and sound good, but nothing spectacular IMO. I like the cleans, but I think I'd prefer more attack distorted. I've been content with them, though I may swap pickups in the future, maybe for Seymour Duncan Alpha/Omega or Blackwinters (I think chrome covers would look cool too). I don't really like the split-coil sounds, though I've never been particularly impressed with any coil-splitting. I went with the option just to have it, since it didn't impose on the existing control scheme and I wanted this to be as much of a one-size-fits-all.

Conclusion:
    I'm very happy with how this turned out. I received this back in February when I downsized to this being my only guitar, and I've been playing it pretty much everyday. I think Sully is a great luthier to work with and would recommend him if you are considering a build.

2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Pure class dude. Nice score!

3. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards? Contributor

I'll pretend I didn't stalk the pics Sully posted and tell you directly that this is one banging guitar. The finish and woods go together so sick! Sully knows how to build a comfortable ass guitar, that's for damn sure!!
    Love it!

AxeHappy likes this.
  4. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Pretty axe, mate. That maple wood grain on the neck is just insane. I am beginning to get GAS on this supertele. Damn You, both ;-)

feraledge likes this.
  5. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

6. Aso

Aso EDM Sludge Music Contributor

The back of the neck is amazing. Just all around a very classy guitar.

Glad to see another Hannes out there and on a Sully. I was like you in wanting to try the bridge and Sully built my 624 with one. It's now my preferred bridge and I have several with it now.

feraledge likes this.
  7. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

seen pics of this one before, such a beauty, love the see trough white and PME board/headstock and white pups. Congrats!

8. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

omg that neck, board, and head-stock... just so gorgeous. Congrats!

9. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

Wow that looks great HNGD!

10. exo

exo SS.org Regular

With the figure on that top, I'd have been torn about whether or not to leave it natural, because it's awesome looking both ways. HNGD!

11. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Sick axe! Congrats!

12. Power2theMetal

Power2theMetal The deal was rigged

That is hands down one of the most beautiful Tele's I've ever seen! HNGD... I'm obscenely jealous of you, best of luck with it!

13. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Very nice, I love the way he put the logo on the headstock, really stands out.

14. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Happy NGD. I'd prefer a pure black Ebony with the transparent white finish and some dark wood strips between the maple neck pieces, but then again: you ordered that thing... :cheers:

15. The 1

The 1 SS.org Regular

I considered a maple fretboard originally but decided to go for PME to have something different on a custom.

16. Wolfos

Wolfos SS.org Regular

Sully guitars are unreal major congrats.

feraledge likes this.
  17. Aso

Aso EDM Sludge Music Contributor

Very nice guitar and I like the choice of PME for the fretboard
    How do you like the Hannes bridge?

I have a Sully 624 with a Hannes and from my thoughts it's my preferred bridge. Just simple and easy to work with that also feels good sitting my palm on.

18. The 1

The 1 SS.org Regular

I'd say it's one of the most comfortable bridges I've tried. I really like the large, smooth surface. No edges, screws, or protruding points anywhere. On Hipshots, I've always had issues with the height screws on the high string saddles protruding with the action set low (although I guess you could get shorter screws to fix that). Also I think the Hannes just looks really cool.