NGD: Suhr Modern Custom... it's sparkly. So, so sparkly. I mean, really sparkly.

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by pott, Nov 26, 2017.

1. pott

pott SS.org Regular

This NGD will be a lot shorter than my other posts on here, for one very simple reason: what you see is what you get.

This is a Suhr Modern Custom. It has virtually none of the specs I would have gone for if I had to spec one brand new, but it cost less than $2k, so what the heck.

SPECS!
    * Basswood body w/ Maple cap
    * The least inspiring Maple neck w/ Rosewood fingerboard I've ever seen. Seriously (more on that later)
    * Stainless steel frets
    * Suhr locking tuners (which are damn close to Schallers? My favorites, so all good)
    * A weirdly attractive SPARKLY finish (more on that later)
    * A shitty Hipshot hardtail bridge (more on that later)
    * Suhr Aldrich set

Tl;dr and list are done, onto the Prose...
    DSCF2897 (Large).JPG

This thing is AMAZING.

I was speechless when I first played it. I just didn't get it. Sure, I bought it: but I'd never played a Suhr before, I just wanted to give it a shit with a barebones instrument and see from there (plus this is a Custom, not a Pro, for lower than the price of a pro in the first place).

The build is flawless to the point of being boring. The timber is bland as hell. The bridge is the crappiest Hipshot one, not the new comfy one.
    And yet this thing SLAYS.
    DSCF2899 (Large).JPG

The finish is ugly as hell... or completely gorgeous. It depends on the mood, or angle, or astrological sign, who the hell knows. It's also applied PERFECTLY. It's full of flakes, perfectly applied. Just amazing quality right there.
    Also, sparkly. Very sparkly.
    DSCF2901 (Large).JPG

The neck wood is unbelievably boring. Given that this costs over $3k new, I'd consider this unforgivable. It's just cosmetic, but still... For the price I paid, so long as it proves stable in the long term, I'm ok with it.
    The fingerboard is equally no-fuss. It's there. It's a board. Frets and fingers go on it. Done deal.
    DSCF2904 (Large).JPG

Frets are ok. My favored size. There are definite toolmarks around the 12th frets which ruin bends at my most-played position. I did get it second hand, so I'm giving Suhr the benefit of the doubt here. If indeed those got out of the factory, it is disappointing. But it's second hand, so again, whatever. Since the frets are stainless, it'll be a pain getting rid of those grooves.

Pickups are the Aldrich set, with a 3-way toggle switch and a volume knob. C'est tout.
    I may add a coil-split later. Wiring is top-notch. Electronics cavity is shielded.

Acoustically she's loud and mostly balanced, tipping ever-so-slightly to the treble side of things maybe.
    Plugged-in, she's a fire-breathing monster of the highest quality. This thing sounds INSANELY GOOD. Powerful, but super clear. Punchy, but pleasant. I just couldn't believe it. Incredible.
    Strings are low, there is no buzz, and plays just perfectly well to my taste. Only thing I had to do when getting it is re-set the saddle radius. I didn't even bother changing strings.
    DSCF2907 (Large).JPG

Overall she never ceases to make me grin ear-to-ear when I play it. Insane guitar. Not perfect, but the only two things I don't like about it are either a) specs-related and hence not the fault of the guitar and b) possibly due to it being second-hand. Ok, MAYBE I'd prefer if Suhr used the latest Hipshots, those that glorified bent-metal plate. I find the latest one much more comfortable. But it's not like this one cuts into my palm or anything, so all good.

So voila. Like my Vader, another case of 'what the hell, I'll try it' which ends in a 'daaaaamn' reaction. Great, great guitar. Great tones. Great playability.
    Oh. One day she will look AMAZING under stagelights...

2. ImBCRichBitch

ImBCRichBitch SS.org Regular

I would say acoustically its balanced cause of the basswood. i like the finish though. its different. It seems to me all suhrs are almost flawless from the factory, so idk about the frets but im digging it

3. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I think the finish is awesome - It reminds me of blacktop road that someone urinated on, and then it froze over.

LeoLmX and bloc like this.
  4. pylyo

pylyo SS.org Regular

Looks great, love that finish.
    I just recently got a Classic T custom with my favorite combo (full roasted maple neck with light swamp ash body) and it's sooo freaking good. Had tons of Suhr's and they always deliver but this one is probably my top 3 of all time, right besides my Hartungs.

Happy NGD!

5. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

HNGD, Suhr's doing a lot of things right. The drilling pattern for the modern Hipshots is quite similar to your bridge. With a little filing, you should be able to replace it...

6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Happy NGD! For under $2k thats a lot of guitar plus if it plays and sounds that good then its worth it. As for the neck wood I tend to prefer that simple plain white maple and requested it on two of my customs. It takes a lot to ding SS so maybe get the fret replaced rather than dressing all of them.

7. Power2theMetal

Power2theMetal The deal was rigged

HNGD! Enjoy the sparkles... :)

8. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Best Suhr ever.

9. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Nice :yesway: Would guess the fret issue is post factory, have literally never seen tool marks on a new Suhr. Also I believe that is a Schaller not a Hipshot bridge.

For under $2k you got an absolute steal.

10. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Congrats!
    I played a bunch of high-end Suhr's recently and was blown away. Like you, I didn't think much anything of Suhr until I actually played one, and now I can't see how I could buy another guitar without Suhr on the headstock. Of course the price keeps me from getting one, but maybe one day!

Enjoy that beauty.

11. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

My local buddy actually custom ordered that guitar. I have no idea why he went with that finish, but I always thought it was cool. Congrats, man!

12. pott

pott SS.org Regular

technomancer likes this.
  13. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

14. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

I saw it for sale, but VAT+shipping put it out of my range - congrats on the superb score!

15. Crunchtime

Crunchtime SS.org Regular

Looks like my Hipshot 41200M bridge.

16. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Wow that is sparkly. Congrats!

17. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

Not what I imagine when I think of Suhr, but I love this. Congrats and HNGD!

18. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Looks epic man! congrats and HNGD!

19. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

Love it.

20. Electric Wizard

Electric Wizard Dignity

Man, I love the Modern so much. There's not a finish that looks bad on it. Jealous of this one, never seen that silver metallic.