NGD: Strandberg Boden Prog 7 - first seven-string

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Dayn, Aug 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dayn

Dayn silly person

But not my first ERG.

[​IMG]

why is it so goddamn tiny

This thing is incredible. I'll dump a few more pictures, but first:
    • The playability on the neck, fretwork etc is Prestige-level. There's seriously nothing to improve.
    • There's an ever-so-slight mark at the top of the 'head'. Doesn't bother me, just the only minor cosmetic defect I found. Only real thing that sets it apart quality-wise from my RG2228.
    • EndurNeck is very comfortable.
    • I had literally no issues with the multiscale neck. It felt perfectly natural, no adjustment time necessary.
    • Tone is slightly less bright than my RG2228, but that's because of the scale difference.
    • Luminlay dots are crazy good.
    • Pickups are insane.
    • Harmonics ring out like crazy.
    • No whammy abuse with the trem, but still good.
    • Three-way selector, two push-pull knobs for 9 voicings.
    • It's trans black, but under the bright sun it's got a definite green tinge to it.
    In the sun, but the phone camera adjusted for the light level:

[​IMG]

EndurNeck profile:

[​IMG]

Pretty green lights:

[​IMG]

I'm pretty happy.

Edit: I should add, the offset side dots are deliberate. They're placed in the middle of the scale difference, which is helpful when eyeballing your frets as if it was in the middle of the longest scale, they'll be inaccurate. It really does work.

2. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

Looks gorgeous man. Congrats!

3. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Welcome to the Prog club! Luminlays are just way too good for dark clubs or playing at night. I'm gonna need them on all my future guitars now.

4. Malkav

Malkav Washing your dishes.

Congrats dude!

My prog 7 is also just a killer, the high E nut slot was a bit rough but that's the only issue I had QC wise, got rid of the Fishmans though, they really weren't my jam :)

5. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Solid axe! Have always loved the shape and aesthetic of Strandbergs. Would love to try one out some day.

6. luckymethod

luckymethod SS.org Regular

What do you think about the pickups? I found them more noisy than I would like and they seem to have some grounding issues - they stop buzzing if I touch the pickup covers.

7. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

congrats! that's one gorgeous looking guitar!
    does the endurNeck keep your left hand thumb on the back of the neck at all times or does it still allow for the thumb to go over the top of the neck?

8. Benadon

Benadon SS.org Regular

fishman supposed to be dead silence, you should totally check the way they are connected.

9. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Definitely get those checked. They should be silent. Otherwise, I think the pickups are perfect.

The neck is very small and doesn't get in your way at all. I tend to play with a 'floating' thumb where sometimes I don't even play with my thumb on the neck, and it's certainly not gotten in the way. I'm not sure how much someone would like it if they gripped the neck like a baseball bat...

That being said, I find my thumb unconsciously following the contour of the neck. It's really nice. It's incredibly easy to reach over as well to play with your thumb over the neck nearer to the head. Near to the body, since it's asymmetrical, it becomes super-thin on the bass-side of the neck. It's hard to explain. I hate using the phrase, but it just works.

10. AlexMg

AlexMg Ibanez Maniac

Looks amazing, how did you adjust to neck after playing with it, yeah you said that you didnt need much adjustment but it actually takes time to realize that you need some adjustment. did you forget your 2228 already ? :D

11. Cheap Poison

Cheap Poison SS.org Regular

I find it tricky to find much about the fluence, so if you don't mine me asking. What are the 9 voicings?

Is it Passive vs Active and Humbucker and split?

12. Benadon

Benadon SS.org Regular

you get your 3 way switch and 2 push pulls
    1 for passive/active (tosin abasi sig's here i feel nearly to no difference in that, i never use it)
    and 1 for split/single coil sound that bypasses the passive/active.
    so 3 variations with 3 pickup positions.

13. EZMETAL

EZMETAL SS.org Regular

I'm glad you posted this. I was looking at this and perhaps a Kiesel. This would be very different from the ESP Horizon FR-7 I own but I like the specs. How's the sustain?