NGD! Strandberg Boden Metal 7...

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by pott, Feb 27, 2018.

1. pott

pott SS.org Regular

I'm quite a negative person, so to introduce this guitar, I'm going to start with the good:
    * The finish is really nice. Not super flashy, but just fancy enough to be interesting. Plus with a solid finish, there's no issues to be had with the top's quality :D (There IS a maple top here...). Chrome hardware complement the guitar's very well!
    * It sounds pretty nice! A little thinner sounding, perhaps, than my US Boden 6 was, but in no-way disappointing
    * Tuners are much easier to use than on my old Boden 6
    * Volume/tone knobs finally have a notch to see where they're set... though good luck seeing these in the dark!
    * 3-way switch only, but super clunky and nice-feeling
    * Fluences sound GREAT. First time trying them. I'm not a fan of voicing 2 (a little bassier, less tight) but I'm loving all other tones here
    * Also sounds good acoustically, though could be louder for a chambered guitar of this quality. Still, perfect for 'movie practice' where you also don't want to turn up the movie to tinnitus-inducing levels
    * Factory setup was, honestly, very good. I am SUPER PICKY about setups (and build quality, small details, engineering features etc...) but honestly, the setup here is good. I'll likely fine-tune it somehow if I keep it and use it more, but this is certainly good-enough as far as I'm concerned
    * Endurneck makes playing this 7 string-guitar feel like a 6er!

For what it's worth (trust me, not much at all but eh, in-case these things matter to you which you're certainly entitled to), this one is Made in Korea; production is now moving to Indonesia as Cort becomes Strandberg's sole OEM builder overseas as I understand it.

Now there ARE niggles. And on a 2k instrument, I feel they should be pointed out.
    * A rough area between fretboard/neck at the 5th fret
    * Rusted neck-mount screws. Well, not rust... I don't know. The metal just looks used-up, it's not super pleasant
    * Some weird... smudge (?) marks on the fretboard which I'm sure a little lemonoil and rub will take care of
    * Tiny tiny tool marks on the frets... juuust enough to kind of feel them when bending if paying attention. By-and-large the frets are nice, but not perfect
    * Some small imperfections here-and-there in the build
    * The usual headpiece hardware not aligning with the string spacing
    * Gigbag's ID card window is coming apart! That was FRESH FROM THE FACTORY
    * Honestly, and again I am SUPER picky, this is it
    I'll be honest, taking it out of the box I was disappointed. I have never seen factory guitar with issues before, and these feel like they shouldn't be on any guitar over 1k.

BUT

It's just so damn fun :)

Now for pictures; teh guitar!
    DSC_9063 (Medium).JPG
    DSC_9074 (Medium).JPG
    Nice work on fret-ends and inlays:
    DSC_9068 (Medium).JPG

Rough area close-up (with the world's sharpest lens and worst photographer):
    DSC_9058 (Medium).JPG

String-spacing weirdness:
    DSC_9059 (Medium).JPG
    Neck mount screw smudginess:
    DSC_9062 (Medium).JPG
    Some unclean bits:
    DSC_9060 (Medium).JPG
    Fingerboard smudge:
    DSC_9073 (Medium).JPG

Voila. Obviously it's been only a few hours. The rough area on the neck/fingerboard join at the 5th fret is the worst issue here and the only one that's not quite fixable but it's hardly noticeable at all. Still, this has no place on a guitar this expensive, make no mistake.

Apart from that, like I said... it's super fun, sounds reaaally good, and plays just as good as I would hope.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    nienturi, Minoin, Hawker727 and 14 others like this.
  2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Can’t wait to try it out haha!
    Sucks about the spot near the 5th fret; but every thing else seems like it’ll clean right up if you decide to keep it. HNGD

pott likes this.
  3. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

Nice pics and good details you are pointing out.
    Could you please take some photos of the electronics cavity? Mine was awful, just like a cheap chinese one... with bad soldering, broken screws holes...

4. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

Ah me likey this one. Veddy niiice!

Makes me want to go cuddle up with my Vader 7 and engage in some Tuesday afternoon br00tz:D

5. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Happy NGD. I wouldn't worry too much about these minir issue. Polish the frets and dig in... :dime:

6. pott

pott SS.org Regular

I've never polishes Stainless Steel frets, does the 0000 steel wool even take? Man I used to do some mirror polish on nickel frets... just haven't gotten to it since most of my guitars have SS now.

I've not yet looked inside the electronics cavity; I'll take a look tonight!

7. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Something more worrying I'm noticing; he finish on the neck is less than good on the edges of the Endurneck's...edges. Given that the tjumb is slightly bigger than the center flat surface, I ALWAYS feel finish defects with it when going up/down the neck. It's really weird and not something you can forget since it's exactly at your fingertips. It feels... scratchy.

Out of all the issues here, this is likely the biggest one in terms of feel/play ability :(

8. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

That's a new one. Every Endurneck I've played has been flawless except some weird OS model shenanigans.

9. primitiverebelworld

primitiverebelworld SS.org Regular

Looks like a nice guitar man! I have been eyeballing strandbergs(2.2-2.5 kg) since I broke my collarbone(strap side OFC). The price IS pretty steep though...for a korean piece.

10. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Part-time Elon Musk impersonator

Good news: They’re making them all in Indonesia and China, now, and asking the same price.*

*The discounted Metals were remaining WMI Korea stock. I’m unaware of any official word concerning whether the lower price will remain permanent.

11. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Ola said on the groups Facebook that the pricing is permanent for the time being.

Originals are 200 more expensive though.

Progs are now made in Indonesia at the same price.

So your mostly right.

12. Andrew Lloyd Webber

I mostly thank you.

Strandberg Guitars:Permenant for the time being.”

Masoo2, The906 and Stilicho like this.
  13. pott

pott SS.org Regular

The issues were too much for me. I returned it to MF.
    I planned on getting another Metal 7, or an Original 7 when they get back in stock. But yesterday I got to play a friend's Parker Fly, AND the new Aristides 060s was released so er.... well I will not be replacing the Strandberg with another.

blacai likes this.
  14. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I feel you... I returned the white one I got too. Mine didn't have the problems yours did, but it was also not up to par with what I think a $2k guitar should feel like. I can't even imagine buying one of the newer ones that are all Indonesian now. This was on par with a PRS SE... but an SE won't set me back $2k because it is headless and has SS frets.

setsuna7 and pott like this.
  15. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

wait wut how did I miss this

Mathemagician likes this.
  16. pott

pott SS.org Regular

Pre-release slots so far of the fanned-fret versions of the 060 and 070. Stayed up late and got in.

makecamera likes this.
  17. Restarted

Restarted SS.org Regular

Nice! What's the build time on these? I was quoted 7-8 months for a 060. Most likely changing for a 070 but definitely placing an order very soon. 070s sounds very tempting but it may be too risky for me having never played a multiscale. Also it's going to be in standard tuning so their 26.5 scale works just fine.
    Still tempted...

18. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Youtube fashion accessories command premium prices.

Mathemagician and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  19. pott

pott SS.org Regular

I think I was told 8 to 9 months. I am in no hurry and don't care much about the lead time. I have two Aristides so know what to expect.
    The 070 I have is AMAZING. Just a top drawer instrument. I don't know how or why, but I rate it higher than my 060!

20. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I'm starting to feel like I really lucked out. My strandy still has no issues after 3 months. Although I didn't like any of the 7 string models I played, including OS, original, and Boden J.