NGD: Someone call a vet, because this Viper is sick!! (baritone content)

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by BrailleDecibel, Oct 27, 2017.

1. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel K-U-N-fusion!

I've always been drawn to the shape of the ESP/LTD Viper, ever since I first saw them back in the early aughts in the hands of many a nu-metal guitarist. I've always wanted one, but for one reason or another, never got around to actually owning one until now...and boy, was it worth the wait! With my tastes over the years gravitating towards baritones, I've been GASing for the Viper 200b since it first came out, and now that I have gotten to play the guitar, it more than exceeds my expectations.

First of all, this thing is very well-built. When you hold it and play it, it feels like you're holding something substantial, but not too heavy or clunky-feeling. So far as I can tell, there are no sharp fret ends, and the neck overall is a nice round C shape, good and fast, but not too thin. The tuners run smoothly, and gets it in tune...nothing fancy, but they get the job done nicely.

The stock pickups on this thing sound surprisingly good! Nice and tight and chunky for good low-end riffing, plenty of hottness, but not too harsh, and while I haven't experimented with this side of it as much yet, it also can get excellent clean tones.

The only downside, and this may have just been unique to my guitar, is that the springs around the pickup screws vibrate a bit, creating a bit of a ringing when you play start-stop power chords and stuff of the like. It took me awhile to trace the source of the noise, but a tiny bit of tape later, and this thing is whisper-quiet when you're not playing it. Overall, I couldn't be happier with this guitar, and if baritones are your thing, I highly recommend you check this one out!

P.S.: I apologize for the lack of outdoor pics, as the weather conditions and my terrible camera wouldn't allow much of it, but I did the best I could. :lol:

DSCF1192[1].jpg DSCF1193[1].jpg DSCF1194[1].jpg DSCF1190[1].jpg DSCF1191[1].jpg DSCF1200[1].jpg

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

HNGD! I gotta ask you though, does the thing not dive horribly? My viper was a diver before I relocated the strap button, and it doesn't even have a baritone scale neck on it, so I can only imagine this guitar's heastock hitting the ground the moment you let go

BrailleDecibel likes this.
  3. BrailleDecibel

Surprisingly, it's not all that bad...it does dive a bit, but nothing that hinders playing.

4. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Nice! I used to have a 2001 (?) LTD Viper Baritone 300 (Korea) and it was a great guitar, I ended up trading it away because I found out I wasn't a fan of extended scales.

5. vilk

vilk Very Regular

6. BrailleDecibel

7. gingerman

gingerman SS.org Regular

1 week late to the party, but it is never too late to say "HNGD", isn't it? :)

8. BrailleDecibel

Not at all! Thank you! :)