NGD: Skervesen Shoggie 8!

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by laxu, Dec 2, 2017.

1. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

It's been a long wait but my Skervesen Shoggie 8 is finally here! Good I was not in any hurry as this took about 12 instead of the estimated 8-9 months. The end result is just spectacular. I made a Photoshop mockup by crudely piecing together some Skervesen product pics and wood sample pics from the 'net and sent it to Skervesen. I think they did a bang on job replicating it. When I first saw the top wood they had chosen I was a bit wary if it would turn out great but after finishing it's just really great looking.

Mockup vs real guitar, photo of real guitar by Skervesen:
    [​IMG]

Pretty pictures I got from Skervesen:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Specs:
    26-28" scale
    Macassar ebony fretboard w/ stainless steel frets
    Indian rosewood/wenge 5-piece, bolt-on neck
    Black limba body
    Poplar burl top
    BKP Juggernaut and Mule pickups
    3-way toggle switch, volume and tone with WDMod
    ABM headpiece and single bridges in gold
    Luminlay side dots
    LOXX straplocks

Build quality and ergonomics

Fretwork, finish, fit of parts is all spot on. Only cosmetic thing I can find is that the back of the headstock could have been filed and shaped to better match the edge and shape of the ABM headpiece. The combination of gloss top and satin back works very well on the body and the rosewood neck with wenge stripes just feels really smooth. Couldn't hope for much better build quality here.

The guitar came setup well from the box, all I did was adjust the pickup and bass strings height a bit to my preferences. Maybe it's due to the Shoggie's slightly longer scale or the extra string (and thus fretboard width) but I feel my Kiesel AM7 with its really flat 20" radius fretboard is a little bit slicker to play. But that puts the Skervesen in very good company as the only guitar I own that plays better than the Kiesel is my Heatley Tradition and we are talking pretty minor differences here.

Ergonomically the Shoggie is very good. It feels just as good to play on your right thigh, between your legs in the classical position or in a more vertical position on your left thigh. I use a straight plug cable and it doesn't get in the way thanks to good positioning of the output jack. Getting the cable in the output jack takes a bit getting used to as you cannot see it or feel it so finding the right angle sometimes takes time or you have to lift the guitar to see the back. The guitar balances well on a strap but I had to use the higher strap hole on my strap due to the placement of the back strap button.

The neck has what Skervesen calls a DAT-profile. It's pretty much their version of the Strandberg Endurneck except it is much smoother and less obvious. It's difficult to see even in person but there is a similar asymmetric shape to the back of the neck. The Endurneck never did anything for me so I find the profile pretty unnoticeable on this one as well. The bolt-on heel does not get in the way when playing on the highest frets. When I was doing the specs and mockup I didn't have a good idea for the inlays so I went with a fairly basic abalone offset dots with two smaller and one bigger dot on the 12th fret. The fretboard wood is so pretty that it really needs nothing more.

The ABM headpiece is more functional than pretty with its angular shape but it does the job. The tuners/bridges at the body end are also more of the functional rather than aesthetic type. Some of the tuners are pretty stiff to turn, a similar issue I had with Strandberg tuners. I have to see if those can be made looser because for example the G-string which typically has a lot of tension is not difficult to turn.

Electronics and sound

Normally Skervesen does not have a tone pot on their Shoggies and instead puts in what they call a World Domination Mod, which is essentially a 3-way toggle for humbucker/coil-split/acoustic modes. I wanted a tone pot on mine so there's push/pull pots for these functions. The volume pot activates the acoustic mode and the tone pot is coil split. In this context the 3-way toggle no longer looks too great, I think the Switchcraft model that you find on a Les Paul would look better as it sticks out less from the top. The current switch works fine, it's just not that visually appealing and has quite low travel.

The acoustic mode is actually surprisingly good! It really does sound a lot like an electro-acoustic, especially when played with fingerpicking. It's a cool addition to an already non-traditional guitar.

What isn't good is the taper of the tone and volume pots. The tone pot has barely any effect until the last 3rd while the volume pot has the opposite issue where it has a big effect on sound in the first 3rd and very gradual after that. I will need to replace the pots when I have the time and can find the right parts. The volume pot can be put up to preference as some don't like a lot of travel to go from mean to clean but the tone pot should have been caught at the factory IMO.

I love extended range guitars more as hybrid bass/guitar type instruments so I'm trying to learn to play that sort of stuff, with more funky cleans than djenty metal riffs but the heavy stuff gets its share of playing time too, the extra low strings make me want to play Pantera type riffs all day long. The BKP Mule neck pickup sounds really great for clean tones but is perhaps a tad polite for overdriven leads, I have a similar issue with the SD Jazz on one of my other guitars. I am a bit on the fence about the BKP Juggernaut in the bridge. It has this mid bite that is great for hard rock and metal but can get a bit grating for clean and low gain tones, especially single notes. It is very sensitive to the pickup height so I was able to use that to mitigate the mids to a degree so I probably won't be swapping it with something else. I went thru a similar thing with the Kiesel until accepting that it just sounds different to my other guitars.

Versus Strandberg

Compared to the Strandberg Boden OS 8 LE I owned briefly, the Skervesen is everything that guitar was not. It looks, feels and sounds better and is just much better built. Only about 1000€ more and a year's wait was well worth sending the Strandberg back and ordering the Skervesen. The Skervesen is heavier due to no chambering but it's still pretty light. Its bolt-on heel that does not get in the way like the one on Strandberg did. The ABM bridges are easier to adjust as you don't need to remove the string to change string height. The 0.5" shorter high string scale on the Skervesen definitely makes it easier to play but I felt the optimized string set on the Strandberg was a good idea that I might try to apply on the Shoggie as well.

I may have went overboard on the exotic woods but the combination turned out real good sounding so I'm generally very happy with the guitar.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

HNGD, looks killer!

3. odibrom

odibrom .

Pretty, may she serve you well for years to come.

4. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens SS.org Regular

Beautiful guitar! Glad you found one that works for you!

5. Nlelith

Nlelith SS.org Regular

Gorgeous build! HNGD!

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Holy crap! :bowdown: That is incredible!

Now, when the "I found I just don't jell with 8 strings," or "I have some unforeseen financial obligations" sale comes up, you contact me immediately, OK? :lol: Seriously, though, I would spec out that exact instrument, given the opportunity!

7. teqnick

teqnick The Juggernaut

congrats. I don't know if I have it in me to wait even a year for a custom, but that looks phenomenal. Macassar ebony FTW!

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

*goes to find the ALiexpress firewood version*

In all seriousness this is an absolute sublime build. This is the pinnacle of custom builds. Congrats man.
    I personally preferred the dark ebony board on the mockup but thats just apples and different apples?.

ALl in all I would much rather own this than the Strandberg based off just the pics and the spec sheet.
    I think you made the correct decision.

but....12 month wait.?! Good god. I would be insane after 3 weeks. Dont know how you dudes keep it together with these customs haha.

9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I like how the macassar ebony fretboard blends so well with the rosewood neck, it turned out very nicely. I wanted lots of figure and certainly got it.

While I was prepared for the 8-9 months estimated initially I don't really care that it took that much longer considering the result is this good. During that time I forgot several times that I even had the guitar being built as I concentrated on other things. Then Skervesen sent me progress pics maybe every few months and got me all excited about it again. 12 months for a custom guitar is pretty normal and some luthiers may have several year long waiting times. I don't think I could handle waiting that long though.

10. Isurez

Isurez Skervesen Guitars

Hello Mikko!
    HNGD! Glad to know that you like your Skervesen! Thank you for all the comments, every feedback is important because it helps us build better and better guitars.
    I want to say sorry for the whole delay! Our company is growing and we work at 110% or even 150% efficiency to build our guitar faster and better. We're still developing new things and improving some of the processes.

jemfloral and Narvic57 like this.
  11. Narvic57

Narvic57 SS.org Regular

HNGD! saw her on Skerv Facebook page and I recall my jaw dropping while feeling jealous haha

You know what you're getting in the end, a perfectly crafted instrument so that makes the wait easier, and as laxu said, sometime you just forget you have a guitar being built if you focus on something else.
    It's our times problem I guess, we're not accustomed to wait for things anymore :frantic:
    Mine is getting delayed as well (a bit over a month or so now), I was fine utile due date but it's kinda hard not to loose it right now though haha.

12. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

No worries, I was quite busy at the time anyway so would not have had the time to play this wonderful beast. :)

Is there anything I can do to make the tuners less stiff? The low E and D tuners seem to take more work to turn than the others.

13. Isurez

Isurez Skervesen Guitars

It happens from time to time that some of them are stiffer than other and yes - there is solution - you have to unscrew the tuning element and use graphite grease or something like that and apply it on the screw of the tuning mechanism. Be careful because there is a little gasket and it's easy to get lost.

14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Only 1000 more. If only buying everything was that easy.

The shoggie reviews have been good. Wish the skerveten ngd turned out a bit better. That’s the one I want.

15. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

Stunning! congrats.

16. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

17. Gravy Train

Gravy Train Night Fiddler

18. fps

fps Kit

This is absolutely extraordinary, may you play and play and play!!