NGD Schecter Banshee-7 FR Passive

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Nlelith, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Nlelith

Nlelith SS.org Regular

Got this baby a while ago! Specs can be found here.

Some pics first:

Just delivered.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Checking what's inside the cavities... It actually has all 5 trem springs, nice! (one spare is in the case)
    [​IMG]

Electronics look pretty trim.
    [​IMG]

See that charcoal-colored block under a Floyd Rose? It's some kind of sponge-y material, protects the bridge during the string change.
    [​IMG]

Pleasant surprise: didn't expect these Grovers to have more common screw hole position, so it will be easy to find drop-in locking tuners replacement (if I'll want to)
    [​IMG]

Frets are excellent! Nicely leveled, no sharp ends.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let's move to the imperfections:

There's a ding on the neck heel (look at the joint), and finish transition on the bolts and pickup cavities is not very tidy. Though the finish itself is done very good, no blobs/scratches/discoloration. Some dust on the pic below might look like scratches, but it's only dust, don't worry!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Bad Thing:

I hoped that there wouldn't be anything bad, but unfortunately, there's a fretboard crack across 2 frets. You could already notice that it looks pretty dry on the previous pics.
    [​IMG]

^
    Needless to say, I applied some fingerboard conditioner ASAP. This crack probably appeared during the shipping. I know I should fill it with some ebony dust and CA glue, but can I do it without removing the frets? Any advice is welcome!

---

Now, some impressions.

Store:

I bought it from Drum City GuitarLand, because this model is exclusive to this store. International ordering is a bit of a hassle, but I managed to order it through a freight-forwarder. I requested to ship a model with more pronounced quilt, and it sure is a great top (veneer)! Seller also included a lot of goodies with the order: whole lot of stickers (guitar brands), extra set of strings I requested (9-70), 13 different picks (found out how nice Dunlop Tortex M3s are), guitar strap, Schecter tee shirt and even a bottle opener!

Quality:

As for guitar quality, this Korean made Schecter is right in between my Carvin (USA) and Ibanez Premium (Indonesia). Overall it's very well made and better in every way than my Premium Ibanez: better finish, better fretboard binding, better frets. Schecter fret job is on par with Carvin, I would even rate it as a better one, if it were stainless steel frets. Finish is not as nice as on my DC700, but even Carvin finish had some minor flaw. Carvin electronics cavity seems to be shielded better, but Schecter has less noise, though (especially in split coil mode). Also, trem arm on a Banshee feels way better, really snug. Switch and knobs seems to be solid, but the tone knob is a little wobbly, probably because it's push-pull? Anyway, I'm pleased with the craftsmanship.

Impressions:

This guitar is very comfortable, neck is thin and has nice satin finish. Neck joint starts a little further from the body than I expected, but it's still pretty comfortable to play on the higher frets. I had to get used to the longer scale, but it's not difficult at all, and I have no problems playing it. Action is very comfortable, I even had to raise the bridge a little to my preferred level. Tuners are nice and smooth. Pickup selector is a little harder to switch than on my other guitars. Knobs, on the other hand, can be turned very easily, maybe even too much, 'cause I probably can do it accidentally and not realize that I rotated them. Inlays may look strange from the front, being under the string, but when looking at the fretboard while playing, they end up right between the strings and are easily visible. Not sure how X-Jumbo frets are different from Jumbo that I have on my other guitars, but they feel essentially the same way.

Now, as for the sound, the type of tone this guitar produce is very similar to my Carvin (which also has alder body, but one piece maple neck; same Floyd Rose model; D26 pups, not new Kiesels), but Banshee is way more punchy and has more sustain (both open strings and on upper frets). And the low B (or low G, in my case) is way more tight sounding, even with Ernie Ball strings, which I don't like that much. Though, coil split tones sound nowhere like my Carvin, I hated those on DC700. These SD pickups produce very interesting sound in split mode. I can describe Nazgul in single mode as "a la mode Djent" type of sound. Chords sound a little more defined, too. I'll probably record some examples in nearest future.

That's basically it. Aside from unfortunate crack on the fretboard that I'll have to deal with, I'm very happy with my purchase. This is not a boutique custom shop guitar, and while it's certainly not worthy to participate in "Guitar of the month", I found out one very interesting fact about these: there were only 12 of these made (color/pickups/bridge combination). And I bought one of 3 that were in stock. So, if you're interested in one, better pull the trigger fast, 'cause there's only 1 or 2 left in the store!

Here's some more pics, after string change and setup adjustments (natural light/camera flash comparison of the top):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lizod

Lizod SS.org Regular

3. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

:shred:

Very nice! If I got a 7 string Banshee, this is the model I would want.

I dont know why they dont a more accessible 7 string with a Floyd. This is the only one they make.

I LOVE my 6 string version of this guitar!

4. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Comparable to a Carvin? damn I gotta get one asap :lol:

No,really,it looks great,not a fan of the color,but the finish figure is delicious. Pickup routings are just not their thing tho :lol:

5. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Happy NGD dude

I have a Banshee 7 hard-tail and I have to say that other than me not liking the Nazgul I loved everything about it. They are rock solid guitars, and remind me of the old Ibby 7620/7420's that were around when I first started playing 7s.

For the money brilliant spec and real no-nonsense workhorse's that sound and play really well.

Have fun.

6. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

which is essentially why I have not purchased one,along with the EU price of course:scream: You can probably have the Naz sold quite easily tho

7. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Well I bought mine in the UK when they first were available, the price still stung man.

But yeah, I gotta say the Naz is about as far from 'me' as you could get with a PU. I can see the appeal for other applications. But IMO its kinda limited tonally.

I was going to sell it till I thought about doing a mag swap and in the process kinda messed up the cotton tape wrap around the PU (and failed to order the mag while my mate was in the US). So Its probably going to move back to NZ with me for that Mag swap to see if that changes it a bit. If it ends up with something like the Holy Diver sound then I will keep it lol.

8. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Wow! This color should be a regular option for their banshee lineup, it's fantastic!
    Congrats!

9. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

If anything close to the HolyDiver comes out,then tell me asap:lol: I'd be curious to know how that pup would behave in a banshee:agreed:

10. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

I'm curious-

Would someone on here suggest that the split on the fret-board will become worse or more pronounced over time... in the aspect of effecting play-ability...

or with conditioning ( and/ or a CA glue repair) is it likely that there will not be any noticeable issues down the road?

Absolutely beautiful guitar.

11. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

You might be waiting a couple months. My contact who travels to the US who picks up things for me won't be going again till Dec.

When I said 'Holy Diver sound' I did mean the song, not necessarily the PU that BKP offer as they may sound slightly different, I don't know. Ive never owned a BKP Holy Diver.

But yeah anyway if it sounds good I will let you know, hell i might even have a spare Alnico 5 for you :D

12. awake69

awake69 SS.org Regular

I am awestruck by that top!! That is a gorgeous guitar and happy NGD!!!!!

13. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

Have you seen the prices on Zzounds for the hard tails? Holy S, went from $750 down to $675, now down to $550. Really wanna pull the trigger on the 8 passive, but should wait till next weekend maybe. Any idea how long this is lasting?

14. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Dam you for being in the states. :realmad:

On the continent we almost NEVER get prices like that. Probably because Thomann is like the only player in the market. :wallbash:

15. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Did I miss something??

16. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

The French Thomann site was doing an insane deal on the 6 String Banshee at one point, and Thomann in general did do an absurd deal on a DC Hagstrom that normally retails for around €800 and they were shifting them for around €360.

So I have to qualify my statements by 'almost' :roll eyes:

Edit:
    Yay, 800 posts :D

17. CRaul87

CRaul87 SS.org Regular

Today I basically retired my RGD2127z in favor of the Banshee 7 active I just bought.
    It's that good! On the other hand my Ibanez was kind of a lemon with it's design being it's only serving grace. Never thought I would replace it with a cheaper guitar but the difference is just night and day.

I was practicing a solo on my Schecter following to track it on my Ibanez since the rest of the song was recorded with that and that's when it all became so clear!

Now I just have to retrack all my ....! /lightheaded

18. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Damn I should look at their site way more:squint:
    So it's that good mh? Gotta keep my eyes opened for used ones[​IMG]

19. CRaul87

CRaul87 SS.org Regular

Yes but as I said my RGD was bit of a lemon, not taking anything away from the Banshee though. It's just that there is a huge difference between them and now I just can't go back. I'm debating if I should sell my Ibby atm and be on the lookout for another of these deals on the Banshee and maybe get a second one.

20. Nlelith

Nlelith SS.org Regular

Thanks everyone! :)

Yep, minor flaws are tolerable, and otherwise it's a keeper. :shred: Though, if that new Kiesel Aries would be announced a bit earlier, I'd have hard times deciding which one to get.

Thanks! Yes, the crack would travel further, but it's hard to tell if will affect playability. There shouldn't be any issues after fixing it, if done right. But I still don't know if I can do it without popping the frets out first. Halp!