NGD - Purpleburst Headless - Grote (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by lewis, Nov 11, 2017.

1. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Dineley likes this.
  2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Looks neat for standard tuning, but with a thicker string, it might pose a few challenges. Overall, I like this design, though.

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I might have to unwind the outer layer of string on the thicker strings to get them to wrap around there properly. But then I was having to do that anyway because I never drilled out my tuners on my guitars so no big deal.

4. bostjan

Have you done that procedure before from the ball end? I have once or twice, a while ago, and I remember those strings not lasting, even coming unwound right up the area where I pick, so I had to do some modifications. I've done the same from the nut-end (non-ball-end) without trouble, though, plenty of times.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Would it need to be at the ball end?. Im talking about the bridge end dude. If the thicker string is too thick to wrap around the spindle part of the saddle, I will just unwind a bit.

Dont forget ball end is held at the head piece so have no reason to unwind there.

EDIT: Unless you meant the headpiece end and dont think a thicker string would fit there either?.

Good point haha. Although it seems like it would. I only go as thick as 72 on bottom for G# on 25.5 scale. I prefer my strings with some slackness to them. I play faster.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Did a real quick video playthrough. The light in my lounge is shit currently (Im waiting for new 12watt LED cool white bulbs to arrive)
    so it looks grainy.

Still -

7. bostjan

Yeah, sorry, that was really unclear on my part.

I dig that tone, although I couldn't see myself wearing it, so to speak. It's got a nice mid-range grunt but still sounds plenty clear enough.

lewis likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thank you :)

Im fairly new to dialling in proper mix sounding tones. Its all a learning curve.
    Glad you dig it. Im the kind of guy that likes massive bass tones making up most of the overall guitar tone. And there is no bass yet on this demo.

9. bostjan

Yeah, it's a balancing act. Throaty tones like this can sound great with a certain oomfy-fat bass tone, but sometimes these tones mate oddly with snappier bass tones. It seems to almost depend more on the bass player's tone than the guitar player's tone, to me, though. Perfect way to ruin a mix, I learned a few years ago, is to dial in the perfect tone, then have your bass player completely revamp his rig right before you go into the studio. :lol:

So, since you seem to be an 8-string guy, are you going to get an eight string one of these now? :)

lewis likes this.
  10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

haha yeah agreed.
    Sometimes I think having the bass done first and dialling in a great tone that works with the bass, might be easier haha.

Well I do love my 8 string but I was using this same tuning on that (G#) with extra high strings.

Really I dont mind if the guitar is tuned to what I need. Im always a low to high player though. I.e regardless of how many strings the guitar has, the lowest always has to be my G#

Im more shreddy these days so a fast 6 string downtuned suits me alot. I will put up a more thorough clean/rhythm/lead video showcasing the guitars stock sound soon.

EDIT: Plus he doesnt sell these as 8s...ive already checked haha

11. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

Thanks. The main reason I was asking was because I wanted to buy one or two, and just use the saddle & tuner pieces show here to make a headless, multi-scaled guitar.

So the photos show that they do come apart as cleanly as they looked like they would.

lewis likes this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

UPDATE:
    New locking headpiece arrived and I fitted it.
    Had to be real careful and this is the best I could do with re aligning it. Now the truss rod is defo adjustable so at least thats better. I used Matchstick wood to help screws grip tighter etc.

Its way more practical too. 1st fret bends are so much more stable. You dont feel the string "tweak" as it moves around anymore.
    Looks ace too. Just the EMGs now after Xmas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

The other bonus about the locking headpiece is: if the bridge ends up sucking, or gas for a chrome upgrade gets the best of you; you can now use ABM or Hipshot etc. headless bridges with the ball end at the tuner. Those locks should be stable enough to hold the strings without the ball ends being up there.

lewis likes this.
  14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

100% already thought about that.
    Hipshot sadly are too busy right now to offer a headless bridge for me with mounting holes drilled to this bridges specific measurements. I.e to make theirs a direct replacement for this one.
    So sadly thats off the agenda.
    I would be left with holes that I do not want. (im assuming that actually but either way not entirely keen on drilling new holes)

EDIT: I wonder if ABM saddles would work as direct swaps

15. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

It’s hard to say if they’re a direct swap as far as the holes line up, but you can buy a small drill bit for about a quid, and it’s as easy as lining up the bridge(s) so the scale length is correct. Just make small pilot holes for the included screws with the new bridge. It’ll cover up all the original holes for sure.

16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

The bridge is really cheap and so awkward to adjust. Ive got 2 saddles buzzing because they are not tight enough but the tiny tiny little hex bolts that are supposed to hold them tight to the bridge plate, just seem to turn and turn.
    In all, way too fiddly and very poor after a few weeks of use.

With the locking headpiece on, Im going to replace it with single chrome ABM saddles and drill new holes I think.
    This design seemed odd in the pictures and the initial tuning stability in the honeymoon period seems over.
    The colour match thing will be a nice added bonus too.

17. bostjan

So, I don't want to sound too pessimistic, nor too optimistic, but the true test, in my mind, is how the entire thing will hold up through humidity changes and such. Probably by late may or early June, you'll know if this is a forever guitar or not. I think that for the price, expecting to maybe have to swap the headpiece, bridge, and potentially the pickups, is not too bad. I still think the finish and the woodwork looks fantastic, and if the bones are good, there's nothing wrong with doing a little customization. If this builder is really a craftsman, I would contact him with the issues you've had with the head and the bridge, as he'd want to which parts need the most attention.

lewis likes this.
  18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yeah it will be interesting to see what happens with temp changes for sure.

Thats a good shout actually about speaking to him.

19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I will add too, that Im still glad I did this experiment to see if headless guitars are for me.

I still really dig the guitar shape and its playability (real test will be when my new strings arrive for its first Drop G# restring)
    But one thing Im starting to realise is, I miss the simplicity of the conventional guitar with locking tuners and saddles (that has a headstock haha)

Maybe if this guitar has shipped with a better option for the bridge etc I may have thought differently (the Hipshot Vader style would probably be excellent on this), but I would say Im leaning towards long term, going back to normal fan fret guitars and just keeping this as a fun/travel guitar.

20. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Yeah, a better bridge might fix your issues with "simplicity." Vaders, as an example, are no more or less simple than changing strings on a locking nut hard-tail guitar.

Adjusting action/intonation and tuning is no different than on a headed guitar. Restringing is also dead simple, which I'm still curious how that works on this bridge.

Still, headed guitars just look better imo. Even though I love my vader, it still has boobs on the bottom and the chopped off head makes it look toyish. lol

lewis likes this.