NGD - Purpleburst Headless - Grote (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by lewis, Nov 11, 2017.

1. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

Yeah for sure. It looks more robust and nicer overall which is another bonus. Swap that, and do a pickup swap and you’ll have a nice player for sure.

lewis likes this.
  2. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

How are the strings attached at the bridge? I would have expected the ball end at the bridge and some kind of a string-lock at the headpiece.

lewis likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

That is one thing i dont know yet. They do appear to just wrap around in the bridge.
    I will try and grab a picture and maybe we can work it out :)

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ive just ordered one of these after confirming the measurements are exactly the same.
    The only thing that is different is the placement of the 2 small screws that bolt the plate down into the top of the neck/fretboard.
    The older holes from my existing one, will be covered by this locking plate (Directly under locking plate bolt 1 and 3) and 2 small new screw holes will need to be drilled closer together in the middle. No problem.

Im wanting to go chrome for this to match my planned mods so I ordered this one -
    [​IMG]

@ElRay this is how the strings go in the bridge. They wrap around. Not sure yet how, but -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

also, this dude has made his own "tuning key knob" which does look like it would be even better than the provided Z key.

[​IMG]

Anyone got any idea where you find a hex key piece small enough to be held inside of a volume knob like that /\ ?

Or do I need to literally try and cut down a normal hex key? haha

6. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

Glad to see this finally arrived - and in good shape. Nice one Lewis!

One of those small bits should fit - like the interchangeable ones you'd use on a screwdriver with an adapter for different bits.......sorry for the shite explination ;-D

like these: [​IMG]

downburst82 and lewis like this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thank you! :) the more I play it the happier I am. It is a perfect mod platform.

and DOH of course /\ haha. Cheers for that. For some reason I completely forgot they existed haha.

Dcm81 likes this.
  8. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

super cool man. i'm happy it's all working out for you. i'm stoked for your mods as well \m/ \m/

lewis likes this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I will try and get some videos of playing up soon!

10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

first little mod done today.
    New chrome knobs with rubber grips. -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Photoshop of the planned mod aesthetic.
    Obviously the chrome headpiece will be on too and Im wanting to add an Active EQ knob under the tone. Maybe something like the EMG RPC which tightens low end whilst boosting highs. Gives out like a single coil type twang which will help tighten the EMG 57's bottom end whilst Im tuned in Drop G#

[​IMG]

All electronics will be replaced with EMG stuff and I will re-shield properly with copper shielding tape.

Also if it will fit, longterm I will put the Fishman USB battery recharge pack in this too. Lovely compact modern guitar with modern features.

Randy and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  12. Ivars V

Ivars V SS.org Regular

But if you go emg route, you don't need to shield the guitar.

downburst82 and lewis like this.
  13. exo

exo SS.org Regular

I just wanna know if you've figured out re-stringing, and if that bridge will actually take an appropriate gauge string for drop G#.....

lewis likes this.
  14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

So glad to see this made it into your hands. The mods should look great.

I'm also a little concerned about that headpiece - it looks like a pretty bad fit, overall, but everything else on the guitar looks great.

Before doing anything crazy with the frets, you might want to change the strings first. It's maybe 20% or less chance that the strings are the problem with the rubbing feeling you get between frets and strings, but it's easy enough to rule it out, especially if you want to change strings anyway.

I have a lot of questions about this bridge. I'm intrigued by stuff like this, for whatever reason, because of the mystery involved.

1. Does the hex peg hold the saddle pieces in place? If so, is it possible to change one string at a time, say like the D string?
    2. How are the strings held in place? Can a string with a large, bass-sized ball end be used?
    3. Licensed by KO? Who is KO? Patent? Seems kind of vague. Oh well.
    4. It looks like the bearing parts of the bridge are brass. Are they brass?

I think you might find out these answers when you change string for the first time.

In close-up shots, this guitar looks great, honestly. The top seems to have tons of character, and the fretwork looks on par with the best sub-$1000 guitars I've seen.

lewis and exo like this.
  15. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I like the idea of the chrome, and think it goes great with the finish, but I also think it clashes with the brass pieces on the bridge. Because of that, IMO black is the only thing that really works. I'm neurotic like that though - I really do like the chrome otherwise.

lewis likes this.
  16. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I always do regardless in case I do later pickup swaps its already done. Plus its just part of things I like to do for maintenance.

Haha no not yet. Ive literally had no reason to take the strings off yet as they are sounding and even recording really well tbh. Im using the Kemper pitch shifter and going down 5 steps to G# from C# and even that sounds good recorded. I will order some of my usual baritone strings soon and let you know.

Thanks dude! :)
    Yeah me too regards to the headpiece. Which is why Ive ordered a new chrome one to re align but also to match the mods and its a floyd type lockernut so will give better stability over the zero fret than the stock one.
    The strings wrap around a spindle in each saddle but at the moment thats all I can tell haha.
    It wont be until I do the restring within the next week or two that I will find out.
    I know exactly what you mean. I already tried to find the same bridge in chrome but it doesnt exist. Im just going to ignore the little bits of gold as best I can.
    If the bridge does come to bits I may even be able to just spray the gold parts black.

The Chrome popping against that finish was the main reason I opted for that route.

Also, @Dcm81 thanks again for the tip!.
    I made this up earlier to use to tune each string rather than the provided z key and I 100% prefer it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its a 4mm hex screwdriver bit, forced inside a guitar knob with the locking grub screw really tight for even extra stability!. I hammered it all inside the knob so its really jammed in there. Good!.
    That aint going anywhere.

Dcm81 likes this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

another Kemper tone demo

This time its pitch shifted inside the kemper down - 5 to G#
    https://soundcloud.com/eridium/grote-kemper-tone-demo-pitch-shift

Been getting things ready to start demo'ing for my bands latest material so thought I would do this whilst I had the session template open.

The snappy sizzle this guitar gives out, presumably because it a bolt on, is unreal!.
    Ive recorded alot of guitars and from stock, this one gets the closest to the tones I like right out the box.

EDIT:
    This one does have post EQ and some extra sizzle/enhancement from a VST I like.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

to correct my previous post /\

The hex bit is 5mm NOT 4mm. Because I ordered a pack of 4 of them I got confused haha.

19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Found these pictures -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bostjan likes this.
  20. exo

exo SS.org Regular

So it's basically just a re-engineered standard tuning mechanism....that thought never actually crossed my mind, looking at the bridge on the guitar. Cool.

lewis likes this.