NGD - Purpleburst Headless - Grote (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by lewis, Nov 11, 2017.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

so this finally happened...... -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The maple here is a really nice darker shade further up /\ darker than I expected and I really like it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not corrosion /\, just dust that I never blew away until after the picture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So after the issues with trying to locate the guitar, finally it came in.
    Importing it cost me £42 which was incredibly reasonable.

Specs:
    Purple burst
    25.5 scale
    Ebony Fretboard
    Mahogany body (no idea)

So straight away I tuned it to Drop C# (it came in Drop C) but upping it to C# made the tension better and it played great after that. Drop C was slightly too loose.

The bridge/magnet gizmo is actually incredibly easy to use and I cant believe Im saying this, but this bridge whilst taking some getting used to under the hand, holds tuning better than every set of locking tuners Ive ever had. Unreal.
    It was only slightly flat from Drop C when It arrived and it has gone from China to the UK, plus being "lost" for 3 weeks.

Fret ends are not the best but at least they are not sharp. You can run your hand up and down and not get sliced to ribbons so thats a nice plus. I expected these to be the worst part about it but they are ok. Not amazing, not even good but useable. The higher up you get on the low side the worse they get, so at least you wont play there normally haha.

Rough frets. Now this was bad when I started playing. Doing vibrato over the frets in alot of places was dreadful. Lots of friction under the string where the top of the fret had not been filed smooth.
    Be prepared to have to play ALOT like me the past 15 hours, to get them smoother. Im already noticing a difference between them now and when I first put my hands on it yesterday. Basically wearing the smoother myself by shredding alot.

The stock strings were actually good. So I have not restrung it yet. I will update this when I know how easy or not restrings on this bridge are. Not to mention, can it handle a low 80 string etc?. Or lower tunings like Drop Ab etc?

Neck is completely straight. Like amazingly so. Did not expect this to have such little issues.

Pickups.....
    well here is where it gets weird.
    Straight out of the gate you literally think your life is slowly coming to an end the second you plug this in. Like, they sound absolutely dogshit bad and the buzzing is ridiculous. Easily the worst Ive tried.
    Then I laid down a tone demo using my Kemper and my normal profile double tracked (with more gating) and added NO!!!! Post processing other than compressing everything together, and in a mix (bass'less mix) suddenly the guitar sounds great?.
    I am still planning on an pickup upgrade and will chalk it down to the Kemper making even garbage pickups usable.
    Otherwise, its a complete mystery.
    Profile is a 5150 from the Josh Middleton (Architects/Sylosis) bundle, customised

Tone Demo -
    https://soundcloud.com/eridium/grote-headless-kemper-demo

Weight:
    Oh my this thing weighs nothing. You could literally play a 3 hour show and not be in pain imo. So easy to play.
    Also, the input jack location when using a right angled cable etc is still a perfect location. It does not get in the way at all and makes classic position still usable.

all in all I will give this a 7.5/10

I think worth the money completely. It plays really well. The Neck heel/pocket is spot on despite my concerns from the initial pictures etc, the action is nice and low and atm using Drop C#, the thing slays considering where its from and its cheap parts. Im playing faster than I probably ever have. The builder was a lovely guy who helped me daily through this missing parcel BS I had before it arrived etc.

I will defo recommend him to mates if they want one.
    If anyone wants one themselves, PM me and I will give you the specific shop I used. I can completely vouch for the guy from a service perspective and my build is what I asked/paid for so really I cant complain.

If there is anything I havent thought of yet and missed so far, just let me know in here.
    I will happily answer any questions etc.
    EDIT: I have already ordered 2 new knobs. Chrome ones.

-Lew-
    \m/

2. NickS

NickS Carvinite

HNGD!! Glad to see you finally got it, and it seems well worth the price. Sound clip is pretty damn good too!

lewis likes this.
  3. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scooped All The Mids

Congrats man

lewis likes this.
  4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Congrats, seems your gamble paid off! How much was the total price for this?

You could probably use some steel wool on the frets to smooth them out then use some polishing compound to smooth them further. Just tape the pickups and fretboard first so they don't get any steel wool or metal flakes stuck in there.

Is the truss rod actually adjustable? Looks like the headpiece partially obscures that area and there's some piece of wood sticking out there. That area looks a bit off, like the neck should be thinner up there so the headpiece covers it.

Now just grab yourself a set of some used Seymour Duncans to put in there and it should sound fine.

Wolfhorsky and lewis like this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

hmm surprisingly doesn't sound or look bad.

lewis likes this.
  6. austink

austink SS.org Regular

It turned out looking good. The honest review is refreshing. The sound clip is pretty good, great playing and the tone is good. The only thing I would fault in that clip is that the pickups have a lack of "dynamics". The attack seems a bit rounded for how aggressive that tone is. Something like alpha/omegas would probably bring that thing alive.

lewis likes this.
  7. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Nice axe, mate. Great base for modifications. And like @laxu said: there's something wrong with the alignment of the headpiece. I am sure that it can be corrected by You in few minutes. Anyway, congrats. I am happy, that it came to a happy end :)

lewis likes this.
  8. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Is the truss rod access not aligned properly at the top or is it just the angle of the picture?

lewis and Dineley like this.
  9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yeah somehow I hadnt noticed that headpiece being misaligned. It does appear that way in the pictures. I will check that out tomorrow (Its nearly 11pm here and Im too tired to get the guitar out tonight haha)

It looks like it needs to go a few mm up to be flush with the neck. Weird. Anyway I will shed more light on this.
    Hopefully its just a simple matter of unscrewing it, and relocating it and screwing it back in.

Price in total including what I paid for Customs comes in at around the $460mark.
    Had I just took a bog standard one without hardcase, it would have been around $335 incl customs

thanks everyone so far for the feedback.
    Regards to the tone I used, I did have to run a compressor block infront to get any kind of power/sustain from these pickups which is where the Aggressive, but no dynamic final result came from.
    Great ear to pick that up @austink

EDIT: For anyone wondering, it is a Veneer KOA top

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    austink and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  10. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Looks great man! That little sound sample is nice, too! Gave you a follow, dig the style.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    lewis likes this.
  11. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

A little rough around the edges, what with the stripped screws on the headpiece and random fret slots visible from the side, but looks pretty good. The headpiece is a tad strange though, what with not covering all the end grain, and lacking a proper nut with a zero fret. Not a huge deal, but I remember non-nutted zero frets wear down and cause pinging when notes are bent.

All of that aside, it looks nice and doesn't sound half bad. The nit-picky issues also don't effect playability, so that's a big plus. I'd consider it a win, especially after a pickup swap.

lewis likes this.
  12. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Most important question:

Is the scale length correct on this one, and can it be properly intonated?

lewis and iamaom like this.
  13. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I was about to ask you if you thought this was worth the $50-$60 they sell for on eBay, but I figured I'd check the price first ... They were all about $90 shipped. :scream:

So, the question becomes: "Is the bridge set-up worth the $90 they go for on eBay? If not, how much would you spend for it?"

lewis likes this.
  14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Firstly it seems on inspection you can just fit an alan key in for truss rod adjustment. I will confirm this tomorrow but from eyesight it seems that it will just fit despite the misplaced headpiece.

The scale length on mine is fine. I had him send measurement pictures before he shipped it to confirm its the correct scale length which it is. It intonates and sounds great note wise. I shredded on it today too to showcase it and my playing skills to my family and it sounded sweet.

And to answer the question about the bridge, i do think its worth $90 incl shipping.it holds tune so well and when you think great brand locking tuners cost a fortune this seems money well spent.
    Its not mind blowing like hipshot offerings etc but its functional and works great to hold tune. Im a fast and hard player and yet you can pick it up hours later and carry on playing with strings in tune with each other. Very cool.

The screws look more stripped than they are actually. I blew away some of the dust and yes they seem stripped slightly but not as bad as it looks in pictures.

If the trus rod is workable i will probably just leave it as is. It does not affect playability at all.

I can confirm hard bends around the 1st fret does give the shift or twang where it feels like the string is moving slightly or whatever every now and again. Though this does not put me off enough to affect my playing

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  15. Decapitated

Decapitated 5150

Wow, turned out a lot better than I thought it would. Congrats!

lewis likes this.
  16. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

The bridge is new, which is worth noting. I'd say it's a bit too early to tell if it's maintaining tuning for the simple fact that longevity is a factor. (clearly you can't comment on that since it's brand new though.) Parts could rust up, break, stop functioning as it initially did, etc. Sperzels don't exactly cost a fortune (~$60) unless you consider this bridge (~$90) as costing a fortune as well.

Still, as a headless option, I'm very interested in how well it holds up considering your other options ARE very much more expensive than locking tuners. Stripped screws aren't the end of the world so that's not a huge issue. I'd personally replace them just because though. You're certainly better off than the Gibson explorer we have. Strap button screws are unpleasant to the touch because they're sorta stripped out.

As a side note, I'd like to recommend you replacing the screws that are used with the strap buttons. I've bought a few cheap chinese kits in the past, and something that is fairly common is the use of garbage screws. You might want to replace your neck screws as well just to be safe, but I've had the strap button screws literally snap off in the past. (shaft of the screw still in the guitar, but the head came off.) For the headpiece, pickups, etc it's not a huge deal, but screws that are important for holding weight would be worth swapping out. Shouldn't be more than like 5 or 10 bucks, and it'll potentially save you one hell of a headache.

I'm glad to see the guitar made it to your hands though. I was super bummed for you when you were dealing with it being lost to the wind. I'm also very interested to know how much of a pain in the ass swapping strings is, so please let us know when you do that.

lewis likes this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Yeah I guess you are right regards to the cost of lockers/bridge.
    In my mind I was thinking about when you upgrade like an 8 string etc (which ive had to do too many times in the past) and obviously that costs more.

Good Idea regards to the Button screws. I will get in some replacement ones ASAP.

Regards to mods, I will document every process and post in here including any potential problems I face ect :)

18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Would this replacement locking headpiece actually make tuning even better?.
    [​IMG]

19. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

Well it’ll certainly keep the strings in place over the zero fret a lot better than the current headpiece

AxeHappy and lewis like this.
  20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thats exactly what i was thinking. Plus I will have to remove the stock one anyway to align it properly. May aswell do the 2 things at the same time.