NGD PRS Custom 24 Stoptail

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Cheap, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

NGD!!

This thing is absolutely unreal! Based on a little bit of Instagram research and PRS customer service correspondence I found out that it was originally built for Aaron Marshall of Intervals in 2014. In the past year or so it made its way to California where I eventually picked it up from a GC. Easily the best deal I've found this year.

The previous owner put in a set of SD Blackened Winters and, while I love the neck pickup, the bridge is going to be swapped out for a Mojotone PW Hornet. I also have a suspicion that positions 2 & 4 aren't wired correctly -- the volume drops by about 70% and it gets really anemic. Hopefully I'll be able to address that when the replacement bridge pup comes in and it's not just the way these are supposed to sound.

All in all, this is the best PRS I've ever come across. It rings like crazy and sustains way longer than the USA Schecter NJ Traditional, Suhr Modern, and Music Man Valentine I've had this year. I don't know if it's the wood types, construction, or overall craftsmanship that puts it head and shoulders above the rest, but I definitely see more PRSi in my future.

I've added a link to an Instagram post showcasing the neck pickup in a chewy riff/lead context from a song off the newest Contortionist record and I think it sounds all sick going through a Barber Compressor > JRockett Archer > Pitbull profile on the Kemper

**Side note these pictures are from an iPhone X with only slight editing in Lightroom. I don't think I'll be picking up my girlfriends DSLR for gear pics anymore

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb5toYtBtof/

2. DjentleVibes

DjentleVibes SS.org Regular

That's amazing! I remember seeing pictures when Aaron received this guitar and then never saw anything! Guess he must have sold it shortly after getting it.

Cheap likes this.
  3. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

This is awesome - always cool to see a CU24 with a wraptail. Is that the adjustable PRS?

Cheap likes this.
  4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Man, that got far from toronto haha. Wraptail PRS ftw :yesway:

AkiraSpectrum and Cheap like this.
  5. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

I was a little apprehensive knowing how quickly he seemed to move it on, but it’s definitely not a lemon. I figure he just needs the trem way more and he’s got his space guitars for hardtail stability around the world.

Yeah it’s the PRS adjustable bridge. This is before they started using brass screws for em, but I can’t imagine there’s much room for improvement here. Even compared to the Holcomb bridge I much prefer this one. Some magic goin on with the top loading wraparound

Yessir it did! Seems to be super stable moving through the climates tho—truss rod didn’t need any adjusting and I was able to drop the action to a ridiculously low spot without any buzz or dead spots

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. XiXora

XiXora SS.org Regular

I think he is a Suhr endorser now. Not seen him with a PRS at his show just Suhr 95% of the time with an Aristides for one or two 7-string tracks.

That is a killer guitar though. You don't see many wraparound 24-fret PRS around.

7. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Congrats man!! That thing is sick! I wouldn’t read too much into him moving it either, Aaron tries out a lot of stuff and seems to hang onto them until he finds something else he wants to stick with for a while (which currently seems to be Suhr and Aristides based on his IG and tour pics). Can’t say I blame him, he’s got the chops to get companies sending him stuff to gain his favor and usually has his hands on a lot of high end gear, so why not?! :lol: :D

Cheap likes this.
  8. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Very nice.

Cheap likes this.
  9. luislais

luislais nothing ever happens

Gorgeous!!!

Cheap likes this.
  10. budda

I don't remember if it was posted here or on Reverb, but there was a CE24 wraptail for sale a year or so ago and the GAS was high.

11. BryanM7

BryanM7 SS.org Regular

That’s pretty badass. Congrats. Whoever sold it to a GC must have been hard up for cash.

Cheap likes this.
  12. silverabyss

silverabyss

Sick. As fuck.

Cheap likes this.
  13. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Blackest of the Black Metal

Congrats man

Cheap likes this.
  14. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

I actually found the guy who sold it to them and he ended up getting a really good deal out of it. He was able to confirm what the pickups are for me before I got it because the GC pics were their usual potato quality and I couldn’t make out the font or anything really

15. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

I’d definitely do the same given the opportunity! My tastes usually line up with his so I have to be careful of what I want to try out cuz I can only really keep one at a time haha

HighGain510 likes this.
  16. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

Looks great.

I love the heavy contrast of the natty back and dark blue top. Not much a fan of the hardtail though, honestly. Gotta have the trem

17. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

So jealous. Sick finish too.
    PRS needs to offer this adjustable stoptail on all their regular production models in my opinion.

Dineley likes this.
  18. budda

Trems seem to be their bread and butter on the custom 22 and 24 - 22's used to come with wraptails and trems seem to be the thing for the last couple of years.

If you keep your eyes open you can generally find what you want :yesway:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  19. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Seeing the first picture the way it looked with the pickups and top + colour I thought this was a weird holcomb mod or something :lol:

I think the bridge adds to the sustain those stoptails are real simple but I always had good sustain with them.

Looks and sounds killer!

20. DISTORT6

DISTORT6 NJ DEVIL

Congrats!