NGD: Overload 8 String Multiscale

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by 5mjacbyr, Sep 30, 2017.

1. 5mjacbyr

5mjacbyr SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I last posted here, so it feels good to be back. Around December last year I decided I was in the market for a custom 8 string. I had an itch for a new addition and my current guitars were all South Korean factory guitars. After a long search for a local luthier (local to South Africa) I realised multiscale 8s were pretty niche for the relatively small market here. So after more searching I came across Overload guitars. (I have no affiliation to Overload, and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to their website but if you're curious drop me a pm and I'm happy to point you in the right direction if Google fails you).

Matteo at Overload was absolutely incredible. He was quick to respond to my emails and questions, happy to discuss custom options for wiring and shipping to SA. The whole experience was phenomenal. There was about a 6 month wait for production to begin, but once Matteo started on my guitar it was about 3 months from beginning to end.

So this beast arrived on my doorstep yesterday morning.
    Specs
    Strings: 8 String
    Scale: 25.5" - 28"
    Radius: 16"/20"
    Body: Chambered Black Korina
    Top: Spalted Maple
    Neck: 5 ply Wenge/Purpleheart stripes (with carbon reinforcement)
    Fretboard: Ebony Gabon
    Frets: Stainless Steel (jumbo I think)
    Tuners: Hipshot open gear
    Bridge: ABM Single Saddles
    Pickups: Instrumental SFTY3-8 (slanted)
    Controls: 1 Volume, 3-way pup selector, 2 mini 3-way coil selectors (one for each pickup)
    Side dots: Brass (probably my favourite touch)
    Finsh: Trans Satin

Brief Review:
    This is by far the best guitar I've ever owned, and I've never played high-end 8 strings. I've played some high end PRS's and Gibsons though.

The action is great, it's sits nice and low, making the guitar very easy to play. No fret buzz or uneven frets anywhere. Fret ends are all meticulous. The pickups sound fantastic, the bridge pickup gives a great full body to the sound, while the neck pickup is beautiful and chimey on the single coil settings. The wiring was something I'd experimented with on my 7 string Schecter which I really liked and continue to enjoy the flexibility of choices (basically any combination of coils I like).

I was a bit worried about the scale, I have an 8 string agile which is 25" - 27" but I found the lowest E at 27" needed a hair more tension. The neck on the overload is much more playable than on the Agile, it feels closer to my 7 string Schecter. It has a great shape on the back, quite flat similar to the Ibanez's. After playing the guitar for an hour or so I had to actually measure the scale since it felt exactly the same as a 27", and indeed it is 28". So the length didn't bother me at all.

I'm still experimenting with tones, all my 8 string tones are setup for the Agile which has a Lace deathbucker in it, which has quite a unique voicing so I need to redial in all my sounds. So far the instrumental pickups sound fantastic, they are clear and punchy and bright. I honestly couldn't be happier. (there's a great pickup comparison playlist on soundcloud somewhere, which is where I came across the instrumental pickups first. (https://soundcloud.com/sludgestudios/sets/7-string-pickup-shootout) and there's an 8 string version too)

Overall, this was an amazing experience and journey, and one that I will be taking again soon. I'd like to order a 7 string from Matteo in the near future, just need to figure out the specs. (You can get a pretty good idea of price from the Overload website PDF order form thing, and even with the weak South African Rand price at the moment, I think the price was really fair.)

Please feel free to ask anything! I'll try put up a video and sound demo in the next few days.

AkiraSpectrum and KnightBrolaire like this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

HNGD I love my overload 8 string, matteo's guitars don't get enough love around here.

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Wow, that neck is gorgeous!

4. gingerman

gingerman SS.org Regular

How do you like those ABM saddles?

5. 5mjacbyr

5mjacbyr SS.org Regular

I really like the saddles actually. They're comfortable on my right hand and seem to perform well. I'll see when I do a string change, I might need to adjust the intonation a little so I'll be able to see how functional they are then. But so far, really happy all round.

Why do you ask? Have you had trouble with ABM?

6. 5mjacbyr

5mjacbyr SS.org Regular

I saw another Overload guitar with the Wenge/purpleheart combination and knew it was the choice for, absolutely love it!