NGD: Ormsby Goliath GTR B&W Veneer top

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by A-Branger, Apr 18, 2018.

1. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

Potato pics first. Would take some pro pics later, maybe next week when I have more time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got it a couple of days ago.

run down:

-Made in Korea by WMI
    -25.5" - 27.8" Multiscale
    -Chambered Swamp Ash body
    -Black and White composite wood veneer top
    -3 piece mapple neck.... lucky enough it has a veeeeeeeeery small flame to it, and with a tinny bit of birdseye on the side of the "headstock"
    -Ebony fretboard, a very nice black one
    -SS frets
    -Black bone nut
    -Nunchucker A8 Bridge humbucker, De La Creme A2 Neck humbucker... (Ormsby spec out humbuckers built by WMI)
    -Custom Hipshot hardware made for Ormsby
    -MOP inlays
    -Luminlay side dots
    -3 way toggle with push/pull coil split on the tone knob
    -Satin finish on neck and body

Well here its, my first Ormsby, multiscale, 7string, and headless. yaaaaay Im finally an official member of this forum now hahahaha

Let me start by saying I do the photohop mockups for Ormsby so I might be a bit biased. I love what these guys do, I have tried different GTR models and customs over the last couple of years but I have never owned one till now. I also got a run 6 Hype on pre-order too. But thanks to stupid CITES last year, it has been delayed as all the other runs.

I never cared about headless, and I though these looked alright, untill I got to try one of them at NAMM this year and woow, so I jumped into this baby

This thing is LIGGGGHHTTTT

neck feels great. Theres a new carve on the enck for this model, a bit thinner than previous GTRs, Im way more happy with the feel of it now. Cant really describe a comparison as this is my first 7

Hardware its amazing as hipshot does. Tunners are eassy to turn. I havent cahnged strings yet, but it feels like an eassy process

guitar resonates and sustains very well, and when sitting down laying next to my boddy I can feel the resonance of the chugs ahhaha.

Soome people dont like the output jack location, I havent feel anything bad about it, in any sitting position or standing....yet

came with a really nice gigbag and the tools for the bridge. Nicely settup, just needs atinny bit of truss rod adjustment which is excepted after getting to a new climate location

Pickups sound great. I cant give you a full description as my only point of refference was an Ibanez with Evolutions and I ahvent played that guitar in 7 months, but these sound fuller not as bright. And I had a guitar for a bit with EMG Het set, which are bit mush with barely much difference in neck vs bridge, but with nice compressed cleans, Again 7 months since I touched that guitar too. But no complains so far for these pickups, Im very happy wiht it, maybe for my Hype I would ask for a different bridge pickup lots of people seem to be swaping to

Took me nothing to get used to the fan spread. If not Im strugling more to get used to having an extra string, and specially having a longer scale lenght, in the sense taht the bridge possition is further back than Im used to. So when I try to palm mute my hand goes too forward. This is making it hard for me to play with the guitar on my right leg, so I have to use classical possition, which I guess is not bad

I also find the body contourns fits my two legs nicely if I raise my left leg into something, if not then the tunners would rest on my right leg

Finish is great, smooth satin. The veneer is slighty wrapped around the edges, just a bit, but its a nice touch visually. Same thing with the copper print top I played at NAMM.

Frets are smooooth, shinny and rounded

The only ting I could nit pick, if I go reaaaaaaaly nit picking is that couple fo the side dots are a tinny bit out of line with the others, line a mm up or down... centered in their location but closer or further away from the edge of fretboard..... Is it annoying visually?.... nope.... do I care?... nope

And also one of the slots of the nut seems to have been cut weirdly from factory, but it seems this was fixed on the QC process in Australia. Nut works perfect, string doesnt move or anything, is not affecting the guitar at all..... do I care the nut doesnt look 100% perfect... nope

And some poeple might complain about the difference in grain on the back, but it is what it is and I dont care really. Ive seen other models roll out with an almost seamless wood figure in the back

Im really happy with it, would post moar pics soon

2. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

congrats...looks great.

the more of these i see, the more i want one.

A-Branger likes this.
  3. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

HNGD! I'm currently negotiating with a buyer for a Run 3 Hype 6 and I've got a Run 6 Hype on order. The GTR's are mad guitars!

A-Branger likes this.
  4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

they def are bro!. And this new thinner neck feels sooo much better than the run 1-3 ones, What model you getting from the run 6? Im getting the BetoBlue in 6, originally planed a 7 string, but change my mind to have the Goliath in 7 and the Hype in 6

Vyn likes this.
  5. Vyn

I'm getting the Purple Hype in a 7. If I can get my arse and bank account into gear as well I'll get a Purple Hype 6 as well :)

A-Branger likes this.
  6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

niiceee, that run would be sick. But Im saving to a future run, Theres a copper print run of hypes soon I would love to jump too. I "need" a drop C guitar you know :p

Vyn likes this.
  7. Vyn

Sick! I'm looking forward to the V's, dream guitars right there!

A-Branger likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

@A-Branger this bridge looks great. I would need an 11 degree angle though.

Also, does it seem like any routing was needed to install this? Or does it fix flat? (my preference)

9. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

it does need routing in order to fit the string holding/pulling mechanism and be able to have that low profile on the guitar, against how tall your normal hipshot Kiesel one is

[​IMG]

lewis likes this.
  10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ah thats a shame. Im doing this budget build myself and have no way to route material away from my guitar. And I wouldnt want to either really. The body is also already finished in slime green paint.

I think I may have to go their normal headless bridge route, but then get their much smaller saddles and try to create the inch fan I have, within the standard headless bridge instead.

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

jealous, still waiting on my mooreburst 8 to show. but what's another week when I've been waiting 2 years eh? ;D

A-Branger likes this.
  12. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

I've been arguing with myself all month over the 6 string Macassar ebony goliath...

This review does not help me save my money! This guitar seems incredible for its price point. I'm potentially without a 6 string until December unless no one buys the Aristides being finished for me. The goliath seems like a solidly made less expensive solution!

Edit: How am I still married?

13. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

hhahaha I know, lucky didnt have to wait that long as I jumped late, and lucky the 7s were the first to ship out, and the stupid TNT shipping services took forever here in Aus, at least you would have it in a couple of days with DHL, but I feel ya. My run 6 hype should arrive a month after the 2 year mark of the original ETA..... stupid CITES! but well if it wasnt because of that I would prob have a different GTR by now and not a goliath :)

easy, stay single like me :D no-one around to yell at you and question your money GAS related spendings

LeviathanKiller and Wolfos like this.
  14. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

couple studio shots I took the other day. Forgot to clean the guitar so it was full of pick dust so couldnt use any of the closeups I took :/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Those photos look better than the actual ormsby photos on reverb!

16. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

The location of that output jack reminds me of the funky place it was located on an old school Brian Moore C55 7 string I had back in high school.

The cable doesn’t gouge into your torso when you’re playing?

LeviathanKiller and Wolfos like this.
  17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

Thanks man. Not sure what photos, maybe you wathing the digital mockups, or if theres pics from them are problably made by them with a phone and a easy one light settup. These pics I took were with 3 softboxes I have in the studio where I work now. The photo guy that used to do their product shots moved away and I live on the opposite end of the country in order to take their pics hahah. But Im looking for solutions for them to use to improve the pics they take

for me nope. It doesnt bother me sitting down at all, I dont even feel it. The couple of times I ahve tried standing up I have no problem either. Out of all the people that got theirs from the FB group I think only 3? said they didnt like it. But Perry posted a quick sketch design in order to change it for future runs

18. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Digging that...very cool axe. Great review as well!

A-Branger likes this.