NGD: My first 7! RG7321...

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by benno, Dec 18, 2011.

1. benno

benno SS.org Regular

Hi guys, first post and first 7 all in one go :metal:

I've been a huge Nevermore fan for a long time, and recently getting the Periphery LP tipped me over the edge into NEEDING a 7-string... so I picked up an RG7321 off Gumtree for a steal at £140, in perfect condition apart from a little buckle rash! Love the balance of the guitar, and the neck is great, so I'm very pleased!

There are some problems, though... the bridge pickup is woefully muddy on the low B, and both pickups are a little sterile sounding. It's also set up with .009-.054 strings, that are nowhere tight enough, meaning lots of buzz and a so-so action.

So, I've got a Crunch Lab and a Liquifire on the way, going to rewire it with a 3-way switch, and it's getting .010-.059 strings on it as well :hbang:

Anyway, 'nuff words:
    [​IMG]

After that (or perhaps at the same time, if I pull my finger out and get some paint ordered) it's going to get a refinish, because black guitars are boring. I was thinking a orange candy finish, for something really eye-popping :eek: thoughts?

Cheers,
    Ben

2. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

Good Choice on the pick ups, and depending on what body wood was used (i can't recall at the moment, you might want to just strip the paint and just oil finish the body. thats my recomendation. Oh and just me personally but i like a 10-64 guage on the 7, but everyone has their preference

oh and before i forget, Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Michael T

Michael T Sea Turtles mate Contributor

Congrats. Great guitars to experiment with modding on.
    Have fun.
    :welcome:

4. benno

benno SS.org Regular

It's a basswood body, so unfortunately it'd likely look dull as sin bare, which is a shame as I'm a big fan of satin finished guitars. So the idea was, if I can't do a classy, reserved finish, to do something properly lairy. If something's worth doing, it's worth over-doing after all!

5. g-zs

g-zs ERG Maniac

Congrats, even though it's ugly, I hope you'll have a lot of fun using it (or modding) ;)

6. Matt 7

Matt 7 SS.org Regular

Congrats!

7. JPhoenix19

JPhoenix19 Playing life by ear

Congrats! RG7321's are solid guitars, and yours should last you a long while.

8. eventhetrees

eventhetrees What's a Panini?

and so it begins :p

Great first 7, change the pick ups for sure and it'll shred. You'd probably want heavier strings than a 59. I personally play 11-50 then a low .68. Experiment and find what you like!

9. Throat Hole

Throat Hole SS.org Regular

i got one of those when i first got into 7 strings and they are a great guitar once you put some decent strings on it and some good pickups it'll be a great guitar

personally i put a dimarzio air norton in the neck and an X2N in the bridge of mine and it shreds its still my main 7 and i have 4 total

10. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Congrats and welcome! :wavey:

11. DraggAmps

DraggAmps SS.org Regular

Congrats. I just traded a POD X3 for a perfectly mint 7321 with D-Activator/Liquifire combo. Should sound super heavy into Axe Fx.

12. DropTheSun

DropTheSun SS.org Regular

Congrats man!
    RG7321 is a great guitar to play and by modding it, you can make it a fantastic guitar. I refinished mine and put a set of Bare Knuckle Aftermaths in, changed 5-way switch to 3-way and placed tone knob to EMG PA-2 booster. This is the best sevenstring guitar i've ever played. My modded RG7321 is much better than my Ibanez K-7 (SOLD) hands down. You can check my pictures of RG7321 modding project.

13. FckingTrippy

FckingTrippy SS.org Regular

i got the same pickups on the way, ordered today for the same guitar. they said i shouldnt expect it before christmas due to holiday delays -_-