NGD: Mayones Hydra

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Reynolds_24, Dec 28, 2017.

1. crackout

crackout SS.org Regular

The cutout underneath the tuning barrels is very 'Mommy says I'm special'-ish. Also the straight 'sawed off' headstock does not go well with Duvell-style body (horns etc.). It does not feel very thought through. Maybe that's the reason you're looking for.

bloc likes this.
  2. mphsc

mphsc lover of fine woods

I had the 6 string version from NAMM with the flamed top and damn what a great guitar that was. Love the neck profile on these. Congrats! Plus you got the purple heart fillets, they've switched to bubinga now.

3. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

I think it's the other way around since bubinga was added to CITES appendix 2. Mayones has started replacing it with purpleheart since then.

Stunning guitar, happy NGD!

mphsc likes this.
  4. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Given I like both, this seems more headless because it's the cool thing right now, and the vader is more compact, particularly in the body.

The vader makes a bit more sense to me. I always thought it a little lame when a company just slaps headless stuff on a full sized body with no effort beyond that. (the letchford kiesel sig being the largest and ugliest offender.)

I like these guitars though, as I generally like the looks of Mayones. OP's guitar is especially nice looking. Whether or not I'd take it over a vader really just boils down to do I want a pricey full sized guitar, or a compact travel guitar. Right now, I'd take the Mayones. (if I had the disposable income right now.) I'd still personally prefer a regious right now though.

Albake21 likes this.
  5. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

It’s in proportion to Letchford’s head, not unlike the Buckethead Les Paul.

Chokey Chicken likes this.
  6. HerbalDude420

HerbalDude420 SS.org Regular

Love that wood look to it.