NGD: Mayones Duvell Elite 7 Custom

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Albake21, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Well it took a very long time of saving up, trading, selling, and patience. I finally was able to purchase my all time dream guitar. I jumped around with about 5 guitars (I'm so sorry wallet) to find THE guitar for me. I was on a search to find the guitar that worked perfectly for me. After all the dust cleared, I ended up just selling everything and going with what I wanted from the start. A Mayones Duvell Elite 7 Custom with a custom 26.5" scale length which as far as I can tell, only a couple 26.5" scales have been made by Mayones. Also the fret radius us a custom 20" I love how custom and unique this Duvell is.

Specs:
    - 1 Piece Black Limba Body
    - 5 Piece Wenge/Purple Heart Neck
    - Ebony Fretboard with No Inlays
    - 5A Quilted Maple Top
    - Galaxy Eye Purple Finish
    - Satin on top and Matte finish on back
    - Luminlay Side Dots
    - All Hipshot hardware including locking tuners
    - 26.5" scale (Custom Option)
    - 20" Fret Radius (Custom Option)
    - 1 Push/Pull Volume for Coil Tap
    - 3 Way Switch
    - Seymour Duncan Nazgul and Sentient Pickups
    - Locking Strap Locks (not sure which brand though, they are not Dunlop)
    - Includes Hardshell case with some case candy and certificate of authenticity

Initial Thoughts:

So what can I say? Most of us here know of Mayones, but do they really live up to their expectations and hefty price tag? Well... that's a loaded question in this case. Price aside, absolutely! This is by far the nicest feeling and looking guitar I've had the pleasure of playing/owning. There is no doubt, Mayones lives up to all the talk about quality. I cannot find a single thing wrong with mine, even when trying to nit pick. Not sure if this is because mine is a custom shop or they are just all like this. As for price... well I definitely wouldn't pay full price, thankfully I was able to get a very good deal on this mint conditioned guitar. I wouldn't say the price isn't worth it, I just think it's hard to stomach this much money when you can get a guitar pretty damn close for cheaper. You are definitely paying for the quality and craftsmanship though.

Fit and Finish:

So the first thing I want to talk about is the neck. Surprisingly it's kinda hard to find detailed information on Mayones necks so I will try to explain it to my best ability. The neck thickness is 20mm to 21mm (this is only for the Duvell) and it's a D/C shaped hybrid. I was always told that it was a standard C shape, but that is not the case at all. The best way to put it is, take the Ibanez Wizard Prestige 7 neck, add 1 mm to the first 6 or 7 frets (Ibanez is 19mm to 21mm). Not only that, but the shoulders change throughout the neck. Frets 1 through 5 have more shoulder than the rest of the neck. Frets 6 to 24 have a much smaller shoulder like a typical C shape. This was something that definitely took some time getting used to and was definitely off putting the first couple of days. All in all, I really like the neck, but I'm not sure if I like my Ibanez RG752 more or not.

The scale length is perfect! Even though I have a 26.5" on my KM7, it just feels so much better on this Mayones. The whole guitar just feels compact which makes this 26.5" feel more like a 25.5" or 26". I love it! Plus it's almost a one of a kind.

My only complaint with the guitar is the arm scoop.... or lack of one. The top is ever so slightly arched, but the reality is, it's flat with no arm contour. To be honest though, it's not too bad. My Blackat was WAY worse and would hurt my arm after a while. This on the other hand isn't really noticable and definietly usable.

As for the finish... what can I say that the pictures don't already show? This is literally the perfect combination of woods and finishes for my taste. I seriously can not think of a single thing to change on it. So much so that before I saw this for sale I was specing out this exact choice in woods and pretty close in finish with other custom builders. The top... it's absolutely stunning in person. It just can't be captured in pictures. The top looks like its holographic or something. It just changes looks in different angles. You find something beautiful from every angle. The only downside is that the Limba is very soft so I have to be careful with wear.

Sound and Functionality:

So the first thing that I noticed is the tone... oh boy I think this is the first time ever I can honestly say that I can tell a difference in very high quality wood. It just resonates so perfectly. So much that when I picked back up my Ibanez, it just feels... dead sounding. Not bad, but just kind of lifeless. I guess Mayones wasn't kidding about the "Tonally Enhanced Wood". Not gonna lie, I laughed at it when I first saw the badge.

The pickups.... well they don't sound bad, but they just aren't my cup of tea. I had these exact same pickups in my KM7 (they are stock). They definitely sound better in the Mayones than my KM7, but my problems are still there. They just don't have enough growl to them while keeping clarity. They also seem to have this slight fizz in them I can't EQ out no matter what. They are good for now, but I'll definitely be putting something else in there in the near future.

The control layout is absolutely my perfect layout. Nice and simple! A 3 way and one volume knob with a push/pull. I absolutely NEVER use a tone knob. I think the only thing that would make this even better is by adding a mini toggle switch for coil tap instead of the push/pull. Just easier that way. With being able to get 6 tones out of this thing, I'm very happy with overall sound and it's functions.

Closing Thoughts:

Well what more can I say? This thing is pretty much my personal dream guitar. Different pickups will be a thing, but that's something I can always change. The choice in specs on the other hand can't, and I'm perfectly okay with this. It's perfect! The 26.5" scale is perfect for being able to use my Drop G# tuning and I can even drop the 7th string to an F# with ease.

At the end of the day, it's a classy metal machine! You did an amazing job with this one Mayones. My long journey for finding my perfect 7 string seems to have come to an end..... for now lol!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Nice, I was wondering who snapped that one up.

Albake21 likes this.
  3. AC.Lin

AC.Lin SS.org Regular

Happy NGD !
    You basically got yourself the Mayones i would want for myself haha.
    I would just change the pickups for some Ragnarok.
    But damn, it is absolutely gorgeous.

4. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Very cool. HNGD! :hbang:

5. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

Dig the burst, looks good!

6. Albake21

Thanks everyone!

This was what really caught my attention. It's so unique and unlike anything I've seen before. It's like an inside out Mark Holcomb burst.

7. Glades

Glades SS.org Regular

Beautiful!! You can really tell where Merrow pulled his inspiration for the MKIII guitar.

8. Albake21

I thought the exact same thing! Right when I got it I was like "Wait a second, this is literally an MKIII" haha. But for me personally it's like taking the MK3 and fixing the tiny personal decisions that were made with that guitar.

9. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Oh man that I beautiful, I literally just got screwed around with buying a very similar one on reverb (25.5" scale though) end result was I had to call PayPal and ask for my money back... would have much rather received the guitar oh well.

Enjoy that thing looks like an absolute beast! 26.5" is my favorite scale!

10. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

Great write up+pics

Thanks for sharing and enjoy :)

Albake21 likes this.
  11. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

looks awesome, awesome burst, very KMIIIish, love the necks on the elites. radius and scale length are awesome too. I may be insane but did you not have a NGD thread for a Duvell and Regius not too long ago... were those sacrificed for this?

12. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Holy cow, that is beyond gorgeous!

Albake21 likes this.
  13. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

All this purple lately is giving me a gigantic boner. HNGD!

Albake21 likes this.
  14. Albake21

Damn really? That sounds really shitty. What happened?

Lol no that wasn't me. I did sacrifice 3 guitars for it though.

15. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Ah, seller from Russia after getting his money had a different excuse for not being able to ship for almost 3 weeks. I opened a claim and he begged me to close it (which if I did he would get all the money and not be liable to ship the guitar anymore) I said I would close it once i received the guitar then he got pissed at me and returned the money instead of ship.

It was a beautiful nebula burst too. Oh well.

16. BigViolin

BigViolin Rosewood Boarded Contributor

That exact top with the finish color and gradation is just perfect. Superb guitar. Congrats!

Albake21 likes this.
  17. teqnick

teqnick The only person that liked the new Faceless album

Ohh, you got this one, nice! I'll wait for GAS to strike so i can take it off your hands, muahaha.

18. Albake21

Damn that's too bad! Sorry to hear that.

I think for this one is finally a keeper.... at the same time I'm pretty sure I say that with every guitar I've owned and sold lol.

19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG/pickup hoarder

First rule of being on sso, no guitar is a keeper, GAS will change your mind at some point

Vyn, teqnick and Albake21 like this.
  20. Albake21

I'll be honest, I think the only thing that might change my mind would be a really nice Aristides 070 with perfect specs to me. Besides that though, it's a keeper.