NGD - LTD H-207 Part Deux

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by JD27, May 22, 2018.

1. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

So a few months back I bought a H-207 from GC used after wanting to get another 7 string. Looked to be in solid condition for a 18 year old guitar, so I bought a whole new set of CTS pots, Switchcraft jack/toggle switch, Gotoh MG-T Locking Tuners, and SD Nazgul/Sentient pickups. Get everything installed and got to setup the guitar only to find out the truss rod spins effortlessly because it is indeed broken. Got a refund and still had all the parts I bought laying around.

So I have been on the lookout for another cheap one and scored this H-207 again from GC, even cheaper this time. A nicely figured ash bodied See-thru Black Cherry nearly identical to the first one. This one is actually in slightly better condition than the first and as a bonus came with an ESP hard shell case. So I once again installed all of the parts and go to set it up... the bridge has caved in. :( At least I can fix that, got a Hipshot TOM on the way. But once that is done it will be pretty awesome. I had to raise the action a bit to compensate until then, but it sounds awesome and the neck is really comfortable. Should be a solid guitar once it is done.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

Sucks about the bridge, but I'm glad that such a great looking guitar has ended up in good hands. HNGD!

Mathemagician and JD27 like this.
  3. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

Great score and great looking axe!! But I have to admit this is the first time I see a guitar with a negative radius... what is it? -14"?

4. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Yeah, that a simple fix though unlike the truss rod issue on the first one. The old school LTDs from this period were very nicely done, even if they were fairly plain. Just like the ESP Eclipse FR I picked up from that time frame.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

The radius is 14", but the bridge is caved due to string tension over time causing it to curve. That happens with cheaper TOMs over time. This was just before they started using the better quality TonePros bridges.

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Eeek. I've always been a bit paranoid of Ltd stuff below the 400 numbered stuff. I've got an ex400 that's been solid, and a b416sm that's held up for the most part. Whenever I've tried a 200-something version of the same instrument I wasn't super impressed.

I dig the finish of this one though, so if you can fix it up, sounds like a win to me.

M3CHK1LLA and JD27 like this.
  7. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Man, I'm not big on red guitars, but this on your floor? Might have just sold me. Looks awesome and killer that it's got that set in it already. Sucks about the bridge, but good to have an easier fix for it. I take it the SLS has you thinking more about 7s? My 302 in Drop A has me sold on those tunings again, wishing it was a bolt on, still thinking I'll try to swap it out for a 207 still.

JD27 likes this.
  8. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

This happens on older guitars like Gibsons as well. As far as LTDs, it depends on when it was made. This is from 2000 which was really the second generation of LTD guitars, they didn't offer the 1000 series or 400 series until 2003 or so. So any of the 200s and 300s are solid from then. They offered 3 types during this time frame. 100's which were bolt-on and Basswood, usually. 200s were bolt-on Ash/Alder/Mahogany. 300s were neck-thru Ash/Alder/Mahogany. All of them had either in house made pickups or Duncan Designed, they also had lower grade bridge hardware and non locking Gotoh tuners across the board. The 200s later became the cheap guitars during the mid 2000's to present.

TedEH likes this.
  9. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Neither am I really, but the ash see-thru stuff they used to do looks good in pretty much all the colors they offered. Yeah, I wanted to keep the SLS tuned lower since it has the longer 26.5 scale. This one I wanted to use for tuning to B or Drop A. Not mention, I can play anything I would have played in B on a 6 with this one.

feraledge likes this.
  10. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

What kind of metal was that bridge made from? Tin foil? :lol:

Still though, easy fix and nice pick-up!

JD27 likes this.
  11. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

12. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Man, when you're not looking for a 207, they're everywhere. Looking and it's like meh deals or iffy ones.

JD27 likes this.
  13. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Definitely avoid the one from GC in Colorado. They restocked the one I had with the broken truss rod.

feraledge likes this.
  14. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Nice camera work! Red is super hard to photograph.

Korean guitars from this period are super nice IME.

AdenM, mnemonic and JD27 like this.
  15. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

My iPhone 7 Plus, It’s been overcast and rainy all day too, guess the background helps some. Yeah they are awesome, especially the unfinished necks. The Mirages I used to have were solid too.

16. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Riffs upon Riffs

Very nice! Hopefully you get her going. Congrats man!!!

JD27 likes this.
  17. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Congrats!
    I've never seen that happen to a bridge before, crazy.

Glad it's a relatively easy fix.
    Huge fan of the H 207's and 307's.

JD27 likes this.
  18. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

The way the Ltd Logo is placed on the headstock is almost comical.
    Nice score though, hope it plays well with the new bridge.

JD27 likes this.
  19. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

That is straight garbage, and they should be publicly shamed.

Congrats though, I have a see thru black 207. My bridge doesn’t look like yours, but come to think of it, it’s got a bit of a curvature. Got me nervous now

JD27 likes this.
  20. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Yup, the old school script LTD logo, it's like they ran out of space and had to toss it somewhere.

They are dicks like that and they have no shame. Good news if the bridge does affect action in the long run, you can easily replace them.