NGD - Line 6 G10 Wireless unit - Impressive

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by lewis, Sep 6, 2017.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ok so yesterday my first ever wireless turned up (yes yes, YEARS overdue..)

Anyway I opted for the Line 6 relay G10 as it seemed the most bang for the buck, comes in an conveniently compact size and has good range, all for just £120 so seemed a no-brain'er.
    The only slight downside is its USB powered instead of either the normal 9v pedal input or IEC.
    (Tbh IEC would have been my preference as I could have run it straight out of my Power conditioner)

So the first thing I did was download the Line 6 updater software. I then connected my receiver to my laptop and downloaded the latest Firmware. Took literally 2 minutes and was done.
    Then I Plugged it in to an outlet and waited for it to be full battery. (It tells you when it is by the way the light flashing on the top changes - simple)

After 30 mins it was full charge (it must of shipped with SOME battery life already). Then thats it. Plugged it in my guitar and hey presto, instant wireless guitar. Its so simple and the execution is great.

The 1/4 output has Line 6s "cable tone" software included (simulating a 10ft long cable) where as the XLR output does not and is just pure signal. I personally prefer the idea of the latter so Im going to get a short XLR>1/4 cable for my amp so I bypass this cable tone sound from the device.

Plan will be to have this mounted inside a rack drawer. Im going to assume it will work fine even with the drawer and the receiver shut inside the rack case (front lid off though obviously) because I walked around my house and the signal didnt cut. Even when line of sight was no longer a thing.

all in all it seems an amazing, intuitive, bang for the buck, introduction into wireless units and Im completely happy with my purchase.

Highly highly recommended.

p.s couple of points:
    I read online it does not play nice with active Pickups and this is why a certain mono>mono jack adapter was included in the packaging. However I have an EMG 81 in my guitar and it worked fine without the need for anything additional so that was good.

Also, Im hoping with everything running through a power conditioner and getting clean, noise free power, my Kemper will USB power the wireless without adding any interference or noise etc.
    We shall see.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Mug for size reference)

AkiraSpectrum and cwhitey2 like this.
  2. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

Its a fantastic unit! I have 2 of them for both of my rigs depending upon the venue. The only weak point on the unit which is well known is the micro USB connection. I used a 90 degree cable and tied it down to my pedalboard to a Temple USB D panel power supply for it. Works like a charm! I haven't had any dropouts playing live. I hate using a cable because I like to move around a lot on stage and have fun. I have no issue with the 1/4" output. It sounds great. I can't tell the difference to be honest with you.

lewis likes this.
  3. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Happy NGD. Also tried thw G10, but didn't work properly with some of my active guitars. Got the G75 instead, works like a charm....

lewis likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yeah its to do with the input jack being wired in reverse or not. (sometimes thats common on Active pickups) so they supply a mono>mono jack which somehow reverses that and allows it to work.
    Although I had no issues with my EMG 81 and can just plug and play without the adapter.

Although just swapping 2 wires around on the input jack, fixes this issue permanently anyway so if you are a dab hand with a soldering Iron, its an easy and quick fix.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

do two, in the same vicinity of each other, conflict with each other?

Im half tempted to get one to connect the pedal board to my rack setup wireless, whilst I also connect wireless from guitar to pedal board lol

PBGas likes this.
  6. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

I have various guitars with active electronics. On the ones with reverse wiring, the signal would be dead silent as described in the troubleshooting document of Line 6. However, on the guitars with standard polarity, there was an annoying noise on the signal that I couldn't get rid off. Doesn't matter, the new unit is brilliant and with the even lower latency I couldn't be happier.

7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ah really?
    Ive only used it at bedroom volumes currently so I may not have noticed the noise.
    First proper test will be Sunday at band practice. Will see if this noise exists then. Ive shielded my guitar really really well and run everything through a Furman Powerconditioner so I dont normally get feedback or hum with a cable.
    Will update how I get on after Sunday.
    I better take the adaptor just incase too.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  8. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

I discussed this with a Line6 the and he had no explanation for what's happening. He only stated that they saw no issues when testing the G10 with active EMG, while I'm actually using the Seymour Blackouts preamp. Might have something to do with that...?

9. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

Haven't had any issues with interference between the two units. My bass player now has one and we both use them live and for rehearsals.