NGD Limited 2017 Ibanez Content

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Ben Pinkus, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

So quick bit of context - In theory I like Ibanez's, I've never found one that I've played and gone "hey, I actually want to own this" (except an old teachers J Custom). Flashforward to finishing off my band's EP and the producer (who does some vid content for Ibby) hands me one of the ltd RG 7 models and says play this, and surprisingly I went huh, I could actually use one of these.

Long story short I sold two of my oldest guitars (Schecter Blackjack atx C7 and Jackson DKMG bye guys) and got a good deal on the Ibby so had a net spend of 0 basically.

Now onto the pics/specs, here is my RG7PCMLTD

-Ash body with Curly maple top
    -Curly Maple board
    -11piece Wenge + other wood neck
    -Dimarzio PAF 7's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This will be a backup to my Mayones Regius 7, and offers something a little different. I may change out the PAF's at somepoint as they are very low output - but they do have great clarity. Also I love that neck very Mayones Duvell esque.

Pretty chuffed

IbanezIsLife, Randy, squids and 19 others like this.
  2. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Makes sense - that neck is like the closest thing Ibanez has done to copping Mayones's style ;-)

3. zarg

zarg guitar and computer nerd

wow, glowing side dots and stainless steel frets... damn! Ibanez has only a few of these limited ed. models that have those awesome specs, hope they will release some more with those appointments and I will be buying that next year. The new premium logo makes it more difficult to distinguish from the prestige ones, don't know how I feel about that.

4. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

God damn, man, she is gorgeous :)

5. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

That neck is disgustingly nice looking. Nice guitar.

Side note, those JP signature picks are awesome. That glossy tip is a fantastic idea

r33per likes this.
  6. Ben Pinkus

Yeah specs are good for the price (especially what I paid), and the build quality is better imo than other Ibbys in the price bracket. The fact it doesn't come stock with BKN's like some of the models they released last year kept the cost down.

The PAFs are a little bit boomy and low output for my taste (especially compared to the aftermaths in my Mayo), so may switch em out for something BKN (Juggs perhaps?) at some point.

Yeah I love 'unfinished' necks, one the main things that drew me to this guitar

7. SamuraiShred

SamuraiShred SS.org Regular

Awesome guitar! Can I ask you how thin is the neck? Today I have tried the J Custom 7 strings( the one with the tree of life inlay on the fret board) but I found the neck thicker than my Iron label. I don't know if it was just my impression due to the cold weather or actual difference between limited run Ibanez and standard models. Thanks

8. Ben Pinkus

From memory it is a little thicker than some of the other Ibby's I've played (which suits me actually), although most of them were a few years back.
    http://www.ibanez.com/products/eg_d...3&cat_id=1&series_id=1&data_id=211&color=CL01 the dimensions are there for you as well bud.

9. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep SS.org Regular

HNGD! I love how these look, and lately i've heard lot's of good words about Premium line Ibby's. I want one so bad. Yet im afraid to purchase one. This and/or the blue one both cost around 1200€ which is a really high price for an Indonesian made guitar imho. I could easily get a MIJ ibby for that price too...

Also, from what i've understood the finish and overall quality really varies in these (?)

10. Ben Pinkus

I understand your reservations, a lot of the indonesian ibbys I have played before really haven't done it for me and have had some quality issues. But more care has seemed to have been taken over these (I've played 2 of the 7's and 1 of the blue 6s), and saw so major issues.

I managed to get mine for about 400 lower than the 1200 they rrp for, so for that money its a really good deal, but I'm unsure if I would pay full price for it for the same reasons you said. I was just lucky.

In terms of the specs I reckon more of the 2018 models will have this level on them, so maybe wait to see what gets announced at NAMM

11. zarg

zarg guitar and computer nerd

I'd play the guitar before buying if you have the chance but they are so expensive because of the specs. yes, you can get a prestige ibby for that but it will have pretty barebone specs while this premium model is pretty much decked out with dimarzios, glow in the dark side dots, 11 pc neck, stainless steel frets, gotoh locking tuners etc.

I would get one of these premiums for a good deal like OP did here, for the full msrp I'd prefer a japanese prestige though.

12. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

That neck :yum:

HNGD

13. kevdes93

kevdes93 Sassy

I got to check one of these out recently and really liked it, only downside i found was it weighed a metric fuck ton. Hngd!

14. Ben Pinkus

Haha yeah, they are pretty heavy which surprised me a bit, but then I remembered I played a friends RG Mahogany prestige about 8 years ago and that weighed even more!

15. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Sexy!
    I want to play one of these very badly. All of the more recent premium's I've played have been great, unlike most of the early ones I had played. Super jelly.

16. Ben Pinkus

Only thing I'm not loving atm is the how the bridge pickup sounds/reacts on the lowest string. But need to play around abit more in different settings before I make my mind up on it!

17. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

awww pics no work :(

18. will_shred

will_shred not that good.

am I the only one who can't see the pics?

19. gingerman

gingerman SS.org Regular

Does it feel significantly cheaper than the Duvell?

20. Ben Pinkus

Pics are working for me guys, but they are also on my fb here:
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/benpinkusmusician/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1472394596166986

@gingerman - I prefer my Regius and the Duvells I played to this, but I wouldn't say it feels significantly cheaper. The neck whilst similar to a Duvell is very good, and the fret edges were all nice and round etc.

I prefer the body style of the duvell, and their neck profile but thats probably because I'm used to the Mayones neck.

Sound wise I wasn't the biggest fan of the sentient/nazgul combo and equally the PAF 7 in the bridge of the Ibby doesn't really wow me either (love the neck pickup though and the split tones).

For the money I paid for it, I'm very happy with the quality, but would say the Duvell's are better (but the standards are £600+ more and the elites £1000 more).